Requesting a Jolly Roger

My Jolly Roger  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Yay, a Good Jolly Roger!
    • Nay, a Bad Jolly Roger...

I've looked everywhere in the hopes of finding pictures I could use to put together my own pirate flag, but to no avail. I can't even provide good sample pictures for what I would like put together, with the exception of the well known crossed swords. So I'll try to describe it as best as I can.

Basically I want the flag to have a wolf head centered, skull or not a skull, in the center of the flag just like on a generic Jolly Roger(skull and crossed bones).

To the sides of the wolf's head would be two wings, preferably bat-like, kind of like Avenged Sevenfold's logo, but if the wolf's head is drawn as a skull it might look a bit more cool to have the wings be bone wings with the tips and the inner edge bladed. If the bone wings are bladed, a curved rapier or narrow-blade scimitar may be a good description for how that would look.

Beneath the wolf's head and the wings I would like there to be two crossed cutlasses.

Optionally, some blood dripping from the wolf's fangs might make it look a bit more fierce.

Here are the pictures of the referenced similar designs.

image012.gif

This is Calico Jack's Jolly Roger. The swords are not right for mine, however.

Here is the proper sword, a cutlass.

Pirates6.jpg

And Avenged Sevenfold's logo, in case you haven't seen it before.

AvengedSevenfoldLogo.jpg

Please post your drawings of this or leave a comment on how you think this Jolly Roger might look. Even if all I get is a rough image of what I've requested, it would be enough for me to get the gear I want. I found a site where I can buy custom pirate gear, including my own Jolly Roger, and that's why I'm requesting this. Given time to earn the funds, I may eventually have the symbol of my Jolly Roger upon a belt bag, glass flask, leather pouch for the flask, and eventually even as a patch to be placed upon some not-so-piratey clothing for more casual wear.

Thank you all in advance for both any drawings presented and any comments, criticism and/or advice. In return, although my talents aren't many for over the internet, I will do what I can as a favor to whoever grants the favor of drawing my Jolly Roger. I write books and I am going to college for game designing, so if you have a character you would like to see in a book, short story(which would be easier and faster) or a game I make I'll do what I can to achieve that for you.

Edited by Admiral Kilo

good or bad depends on how you want it mate...id say good in originality...and since i like the more traditional stuff i wouldnt say bad as its your standard i just like the more historically accurate flags...but its your call man...and welcome aboard the pub lad.

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/

Originality is always good to have, and thank you for the welcome. It would be somewhat hard to have a traditionally accurate flag, I'd think, without copying or taking from what someone else had. Perhaps losing the wing part would make it more traditional, but once I have the funds my outfit will be 'upgraded,' you could say, with steampunk stuff so I thought having wings on the banner would be more sky-pirate style. Thanks again.

Since I don't have a properly-working graphics-program anymore (other than Windows Paint), I'm afraid I can't be of all that much use at the moment...

What kind of wolf's head are you looking for? Here are some examples:

rebel_flag_wolf_tapestry_540.jpg

A5875D.jpg

Erie_SeaWolves.gif

As for the crossed blades; something like this?

156033841v7_225x225_Front.jpg

Edited by Captain Frankie

Nice, the first or second one would be great, Frankie, thank you. I should have provided an example for that, but I couldn't find a pic like those two either. I'm not at all a fan of the rebel flag though, I'm a Northerner who had a rough time when visiting the South, but I like the wolf in that pic.

And yes, those blades would be good.

Edited by Admiral Kilo

original and period accurate dont have to be so different....you can try looking at gravemarkers and reliefs to get what the period images of death would have been....and design your own from there.....

our groups figurehed (Archangel)came from period reliefs on 17th century gravestones....a stylised skull with wings or DeathHead (in our case an angel head with wings) would have been instantly recoginised as "Death" in that time....also hour glasses featured on quite few as well(time running out).....just a suggestion for refferences mate...good luck

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Greetins mate! While we make the real thing for sale, I'd be happy to produce your graphic for ye no cost. Send me a PM with the final description and I'll work it out fer ya.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

wow capn mac...good stuff...what do you make your flags of?i might have to do some barterin with ye

Have a look at the site: Dirk and Arrow Creations

They are made from a medium weight canvas, sturdy and made for use outdoors. They measure 4 ½ feet wide by 3 feet high though we can accommodate any size you might need. They are made with triple re-enforced hanging corners with brass grommets.

I'm always up for a good barter

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

This is the best I could get with what I have available, but I combined the two images provided.

Kiloflag2.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to explain, to get more along the lines of the black and white Jolly Roger look, I edited it on Photobucket. First I made it a sketch design, gave it "soft edges" in the advanced features for that, then inverted it.

Edited by Admiral Kilo

I was originally going to take my flag here to be finished and use their results as the official flag, or at least as the one we carry around. Now that I see other people make flags here, I'm not so sure. I'll have to compare quality and prices.

Do you mean William makes the flags or just makes the design?

I was originally going to take my flag here to be finished and use their results as the official flag, or at least as the one we carry around. Now that I see other people make flags here, I'm not so sure. I'll have to compare quality and prices.

William Red Wake is indeed a master flag designer. His are the absolute best I have ever seen. If you wanted to take your design and have it crafted into a real flag, the Pyrate Trading Co. whose link you have posted here is a fine choice! I know the owner, Jeff MacKay, he is a fellow member of the Order of Leviathan/Devil's Dozen and is an exemplary fellow! Plus, he makes the finest pirate hats on the market...

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

William Red Wake is indeed a master flag designer. His are the absolute best I have ever seen. If you wanted to take your design and have it crafted into a real flag, the Pyrate Trading Co. whose link you have posted here is a fine choice! I know the owner, Jeff MacKay, he is a fellow member of the Order of Leviathan/Devil's Dozen and is an exemplary fellow! Plus, he makes the finest pirate hats on the market...

Be wary Captain Midnight et al -

Captain McKay heads up the honorable, PIRATE Trading Company which should not be confused by the dubious Pyrate Trading Company of Shawnee KS , that may have struck a reef and sank. dry.gif

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Be wary Captain Midnight et al -

Captain McKay heads up the honorable, PIRATE Trading Company which should not be confused by the dubious Pyrate Trading Company of Shawnee KS , that may have struck a reef and sank. dry.gif

Jas. Hook

Aye, Hook, you are right, I do believe I have gotten the two confused! Thank you for clearing that up!

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)