Historical Patterns

Matty Bottles

While perusing my mothers collection of "old" fabrics (bolts of wool she has kept from the fifties, and, with the help of mothballs, kept hole-free) I noticed some wonderful herring-bone wool just dying to be made into a frock coat. But I have no idea if herring-bone, as a pattern, existed in the early 1700's. It is amazing to think of how modern some 'old" things are to us. So. Does anyone have any notion of when some now-common patterns or weaves appeared? I'm thinking of herring-bone, houndstooth, and that sort of 'classic' style, but really, any number of things could be discussed. Thinking of hand-painted slops, any sort of printed pattern is up for question, too.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ahoy Bloody Jack,

Herringbone patterns appear in Europe by the 13th century at least (See the Museum of London 'finds' Series book on textiles for in depth information), and I have personally handled a mid 15th century Italian brigandine fragment (from Chalsis) covered in a herringbone patterned hemp cloth.

Wool cloth undoubtedly was woven in a herringbone pattern in Northern Europe and used during the 17th and 18th centuries - as to how fashionable it was during any particular decade, I really do not know.

P.S.

Edited to add "in a herringbone pattern" - obviously wool was plentifully woven in Europe, being the predominate cloth used for clothing in the region throughout history. :huh:

'Post in haste, repent at liesure'