New Orleans Stuff?

Guest Angus MacVox

Ach, too bad: you'll be here the week we'll be gone to Florida!

Beluche, will ye be around?

Well, there's Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. a wonderful old bar (and NOT hokey, just an old cavernous, candlelighted bar that never closes. They don't really make any attempt to be piratical, but hey, it was Lafitte's, nest-ce pas?), on Bourbon street.

There's the Chalmette Battlefield; site of the Battle of New Orleans, just outside the city. Don't think anything is going on that week; they did have a militia drill (1815 era) last weekend.

You might search for "Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial" on the internet: this year's the big year! Related to that there are special programs at the New Orleans Museum of Art, and other places.

The standard tourist sites (Cabildo, Presbytere, cemeteries) are great sources of early 19th century history.

While New Orleans is a major port, it's not a pretty or touristy one; lots of river barges, and merchant vessels coming upriver from the sea but no sailing vessels for fun excursions.

Are you interested in Anne Rice? I can tell you much there, but contact me off-line if you're interested; I don't want to clog the list if others aren't.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I'm going to be in new orleans next week... any suggestions for places to go piratical?

I highly recommend Lafitte's blacksmithe shop-it is a a perfect example of the rustic,well built buildings of the time-although I have no Idea how if was preserved so well,giving the unforgiving nature of the areaand who could pass up getting their pictire taken in front of it.

you can conact ;Jean Lafitte Tourist Commission

2654 Jean Lafitte Blvd., Lafitte, La. 70067 Ph: 1-800-689-3525 http://www.jeanlafittetours.com/

they have tours

they have some kind of retreat along bayou barataria

The Baratarian Island Queen LLC

(504) 689-4524

(800) 511 2930

www.airboatswamptours.com

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions