Yet another newbie to the list

jendobyns

Hi,

I'm new here, and figured I'd better introduce myself (doing things backwards, as I've posted a couple of times already ;-). I go by Mistress Dobyns most of the time, as I'm the wife of a Redcoat Captain in our RevWar unit (we're Loyalists who fought the Spanish at Pensacola). If you were at Fells Point Privateer Day, those were the guys in red marching 'round the town giving you grief *G* While I am not technically proficient in the 21st Century sense (as some of you might have figured out already), I can handle period skills just fine--spinning, dyeing, cooking, sewing, riding, dancing, etc. You probably won't find me in front of the crowd brandishing a sword, yet (fencing is on my to-do list), but by the fire making dinner, spinning, or interpreting for the public. My newest skill is learning to make chocolate from the un-roasted cocoa beans, but finding the right period equipment is proving a challenge, so that demo will be a while in coming. I'm looking forward to getting to know the folks here, so we won't be total strangers next time I find myself surrounded by Pirates! *G*

Yhs,

Mistress (Jen) Dobyns

WilliamthaRedcrowsnestcopy.jpg

Welcome aboard....

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Ahh... a fine an' proper welcome for ye, Mistress Dobyns. Glad t' have a Gentlewoman here with we crazy lot. And, ye not be alone. There be a few fine Gentlewomen here. :) I'm sure ye've met a few of them already. So, ye be th' Wife of a Brit Captain, hmm? What regiment be he in? I'm curious. Wondering if I crossed paths with this regiment before.

Surrounded? Ye poor lass! What did they do to ye?!?

Mmmmm... already I'm eager t' try some of yo'r homemade Hot Chocolate. Mmmmm... If there be one thing I like better than rum and wine... it's hot chocolate!

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Chocolate, chocolate did someone say chocolate? unsure.gifbiggrin.gif

Welcome aboard Mistress Dobyns!

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I knew it! Hook 'll be hoverin' 'round yo'r establishment like moths to a GLOWING bug zapper! LOL

And what do ye mean... ALMOST, Sam? Chocolate is just as good as rum. What makes either one better... is to COMBINE THEM! Mmmmm....

~Lady B

AYE...Chocolate Stout be me favorite.....welcome aboard missy

Here, here! Welcome and well met! Always nice to have 'nother lovely lady about these parts!

Speakin' o' Stouts, I 'ave a Vanilla Milk Stout I'm working on as we speak!

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

Thanks everyone! It's nice to be here. Looks like if I remember the chocolate, I might be forgiven for forgetting the rum once in a while? *G*

Haven't found a receipt for rum and chocolate in period, yet, but here's one for Wine Chocolate from William Salmon, The Family Dictionary, London, 1696.

This particular receipt is listed as 1711, so probably a later edition of the work:

Take Water, three quarters of a pint, choice red port, or rather choice sherry, half a pint; sugar chocolate (most likely chocolate which has been processed with sugar added during the grinding) a quarter pound, or something better, fine flour, or white starch, a quarter of an ounce, and a little salt; mix, dissolve and boil, and in about 12 minutes it will be done. But if you make it with chocolate without sugar, the proportion to the former water and wine, will be of chocolate, 2 ounces and a quarter, double refined sugar 3 ounces, fine flour or white starch, a quarter of an ounce, etc., as before.

This is from Ivan Day's book Cooking in Euripe 1650-1850, which has a modern redaction. He uses quality dark chocolate, and corn starch, and boil means something more like simmer in period, so it would be hot enough to dissolve and heat the ingredients together. He also mentions that the Spanish consumed an iced whip of chocolate called Espuma De Chocolate which was popular during summer months, and it was introduced into Naples during the 17C, where it developed into a frozen sorbet. Yum. I can see some experiments for summer *g*

Mistress Dobyns

Thanks, and no worries about the Scappi spit. I'll eventually round up one of my technical helpers to scan and post a pic, but it's been like herding cats lately *g*

welcome to the pub mistress dobyns...still no luck with that scappi spit im afraid...

Ahh... a fine an' proper welcome for ye, Mistress Dobyns. Glad t' have a Gentlewoman here with we crazy lot. And, ye not be alone. There be a few fine Gentlewomen here. :) I'm sure ye've met a few of them already. So, ye be th' Wife of a Brit Captain, hmm? What regiment be he in? I'm curious. Wondering if I crossed paths with this regiment before.

Surrounded? Ye poor lass! What did they do to ye?!?

Mmmmm... already I'm eager t' try some of yo'r homemade Hot Chocolate. Mmmmm... If there be one thing I like better than rum and wine... it's hot chocolate!

Well, if you walk into a nest of pirates, surrounded is bound to happen, eh? But they were the nicest folks, in spite of the red coats our lads were wearing. They are Maryland Loyalists, the folks the King was happy to have guarding the baggage train and army's cattle, and fighting the Spanish.

Hahahaha... Eeeuh, those darn Spaniards. More apt t' fancy a Frenchie than taking to a Spaniard's company. Brit Lobsterback or not, anyone rufflin' th' plumes of a Spaniard is a friend indeed! :blink: Nope, don't recall crossin' paths with th' Maryland Loyalists. Perhaps someday though. ;)

And now I be eager t' try that Wine Chocolate now! Mmmm, sounds brilliant!

~Lady B