Living History Demos Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion 2010

The sugar cane press was such a cool demo. Hopefully the weather won't sabotage the crop this year. And the Spanish moss demo should be a real draw - I know you've been working on that idea for a while. Can we get blankets? :)

-- Hurricane

Can you? Sure, but I will need to do a credit check on you first to make sure you can finance the purchase :rolleyes:

No problem financing. Came into a little gold recently, I found it in a "bar". :P

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't seen Spanish Moss woven materials, here's a site:

http://www.glennpierdepot.us/spanishmoss.htm

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Jack could probably make one out of the stuff he has in his garage. He's like McGuyver.

Bring it on and I'll use it :)

Brig! Oh, Brig!! Are you paying attention? See if you can get Jack to make us a spinning wheel out of the stuff you have in your garage! Kind of like this:

200px-Elderlyspinnera.jpg

In fact, see if he will make the old lady, too. She'd be an awesome prop.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

You two need to get one of those giant spinning wheels. Then you could look like this:

(Ok, maybe not exactly like that. :rolleyes: )

Diane Stevens always brings a spinning wheel to P.o.P. (Pirates of Paynetown) and it really makes her display look cool.

I would LOVE a spinning wheel. Unfortunately, they tend to cost several hundred dollars. Which is more than a little out of my price range at the moment (and for a long time to come).

OH my goodness! I need to get caught up on the thread, but first I need to leave work, BUT FIRST, I want to say that I actually learned a freaking historically accurate skill in the last few months!

I can demonstrate how to make yarn using roving (cleaned and carded fleece) and a drop spindle. I have a top whirl and a bottom whirl, so I could even show a couple different techniques.

We may be able to work together over there. I am working on making thread and weaving Spanish moss fibers... I'll be doing very basic drop spindle work and have an inkle to make straps and such....

You two need to get one of those giant spinning wheels. Then you could look like this:

(Ok, maybe not exactly like that. :rolleyes: )

Diane Stevens always brings a spinning wheel to P.o.P. (Pirates of Paynetown) and it really makes her display look cool.

I considered the wheel... but then there is the issue of price, size, etc.... if someone is trying to get rid of one, even if it needs a little work, and it's a 'price i can't refuse' I may be willing to consider. Otherwise, I am on a budget....

Wow, I'd love to be joining you all down there, dyeing is something I could do to fill in the textiles demo (or spinning flax, since Jessi has wool covered). It sure would be easier to travel with a bucket than a wheel *g*

Regarding a wheel, Diosa:

I have a great wheel that needs a new home, not having space for it _and_ an aging mother in law. If this is something you'd be interested in, email me off list and we can discuss it.

Mistress Dobyns

Here's an eBay listing (not mine) for Diosa and others who might be interesed. It's in the neighborhood so I could pick them up and deliver to PiP for someone. I'm not sure if they're complete, usable, working, etc, but I'm sure you could probably combine/rebuild them to get one working model. - Three Wooden Antique Spinning Wheels from Europe

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Here's an eBay listing (not mine) for Diosa and others who might be interesed. It's in the neighborhood so I could pick them up and deliver to PiP for someone. I'm not sure if they're complete, usable, working, etc, but I'm sure you could probably combine/rebuild them to get one working model. - Three Wooden Antique Spinning Wheels from Europe

Thanks Jon, Yes those would be most convenient to pick up. I have put them on my watch list.... I agree, we could probably get 1-2 of them working... I'll keep an eye on them and let's see where the bid goes....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Diosa the only thing obviously missing is the drive cords from the fly wheel to the bobbin wheel but those are easy to replace .....

Also missing are the treadles on two of them, and the third doesn't really appear to line up or match the one it's attached to in the photo. And without close-up or detail photos of them, I'd be worried something else is wrong. But if you're up for it, there appears to be enough pieces to cannibalize if you can do the work.

An alternative to Ebay for these things is the Spinners and Weaver's Housekeeping (or House cleaning?) pages. Sort of a spinning and weaving specific auction site.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

bumping as per request

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...

bump

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Brig & Mae - Child rearing/domestic life of the period. As usual, Mae doesn't know this yet...

I do want to hear what Mae has to say about child-rearing. ;)

I just talked with Lily and I will be hanging around talking about period surgery stuff after the battle each day.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It'd be nice to hear who's doing what. Since I will be over at the Annex stage, I would like to let those there know what's happening at the fort and when besides the battles so I can share in in announcements.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to do indenture servant/crime and punishment too. Still talking with Master Killingsworth to see if he's willing to show up and help Lilly McKinney with the history of English/American theater too.

My "Latest Model" Cat O' Nine Tails will be accompanying me'self to PiP. Should one be interested I can be found in the Service of the Archangel.

Dutch "X" (his mark)

Looking to do indenture servant/crime and punishment too. Still talking with Master Killingsworth to see if he's willing to show up and help Lilly McKinney with the history of English/American theater too.

My "Latest Model" Cat O' Nine Tails will be accompanying me'self to PiP. Should one be interested I can be found in the Service of the Archangel.

Dutch "X" (his mark)

we already have someone in charge of that................*cough....though im sure your cat is nicer........bring some cordage if you can.....i need to......make stuff..........lol

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Ah, T'is me friend Israel Cross, it is. I have took on much small stuff and wuz told sumfin about doin' me trade. Now, don't ask me where I been, me lad. Don't ask me wot I did. Fore every thumb is a marlinespike and every finger a fid!

Dutch "X" (his mark)

hmmm...can we volunteer people for you to demonstrate on? :D

Dearest Diosa, if you're flailing, I'm willing! Hey! Did I just say that outloud in the Pub?!?

Dutch "X" (his mark)

hmmm...can we volunteer people for you to demonstrate on? :D

Dearest Diosa, if you're flailing, I'm willing! Hey! Did I just say that outloud in the Pub?!?

Aye you did! Volunteered to be flailed with your own cat nonetheless... talk about the well prepared pirate :D

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

i must avert mine young eyes! all manner of things here, such that i should not witness!!! ....i shall simply thank the Mekka II's boatswain.......and warn him, stay far and away of this diosa.........i, myself was viciously accosted by the lass, and thrown then from a vessel into dangerous waters! ooohhh she is a cruel temptress!

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

i must avert mine young eyes! all manner of things here, such that i should not witness!!! ....i shall simply thank the Mekka II's boatswain.......and warn him, stay far and away of this diosa.........i, myself was viciously accosted by the lass, and thrown then from a vessel into dangerous waters! ooohhh she is a cruel temptress!

Oh quit your bellyaching, you deserved far worse than ya got! You're only living due to your ability to humor me with song.....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com