9)Captain Ron

10)Captain Courageous

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

Not in order of favoritism

1) Pirates of The Caribbean: Curse of The Black Pearl

2) Muppet Treasure Island

3) Cutthroat Island

4) Horatio Hornblower: Mutiny (2001 tv mini series)

5) Treasure Island (1950)

6) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)

7) The Black Swan

8) Captain Ron

9) Master & Commander

10) The Pirate (1948) (I really hate the end though)

I'm trying to set up a real Pirate-themed town...somewhere. I need some help with it.

My favorite nautical movies are actually mostly non-pirate.

1. Billy Budd.

2. The Caine Mutiny.

3. The Sea Wolf

4. Saboteur: Code Name Morituri

5. Treasure Island (1990)

6. Treasure Island (1950)

7. Crimson Tide

8. Titanic

9. The Sea Hawk

10. The Devil-Ship Pirates

Here are my favorite movies that are just pirate movies. By the way, I don't count The Sea Hawk as a pirate movie, or else it would be on the list.

1. Treasure Island (1990, with Charlton Heston)

2. Treasure Island (1950, with Robert Newton)

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

5. The Devil-Ship Pirates

6. A High Wind in Jamaica

7. Galaxy Express 999

8. Cutthroat Island

9. Muppet Treasure Island

10. Treasure Island (1971, with Boris Andreyev)

You don't count the Sea Hawk as a pirate movie, but you do count Galaxy Express 999?

And what is this putting At World's End above Curse of the Black Pearl? Blasphemy, says I!

tongue.gif

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Here are my favorite movies that are just pirate movies. By the way, I don't count The Sea Hawk as a pirate movie, or else it would be on the list.

1. Treasure Island (1990, with Charlton Heston)

2. Treasure Island (1950, with Robert Newton)

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

5. The Devil-Ship Pirates

6. A High Wind in Jamaica

7. Galaxy Express 999

8. Cutthroat Island

9. Muppet Treasure Island

10. Treasure Island (1971, with Boris Andreyev)

Why not The Sea Hawk? Spain counted the sea hawks as pirates and wanted them hung. After all, there is no real piracy in PotC:AWE or Cutthroat Island. Treasure Island is more of a mutiny than piracy. I fact, very few pirate movies feature actual piracy. More often they have "pirates" whose crimes were committed earlier. Out of the entire PotC, the raid on Port Royal was the only act of piracy.

Mark

Mark

Actually, there were several acts of piracy in the first PotC film. As you mentioned, there was the raid on Port Royal, there was also when Jack and Will took the Dauntless, then the interceptor, and then the last battle where the skeletal pirates snuck aboard the Dauntless and started massacring her crew. Plus the theft of the fishing boat by Jack that wasn't actually shown, but was implied by him riding (or sinking) it into Port. But yeah really none in the others. I can't think of a single act of piracy in movies 2 or 3.

And as for the mutiny... well, since the intent was to take the ship, and all the gold, plus those doing it were clearly ex-buccaneers, I'd say it counts. It counts at least as much as privateering does, in any case.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Actually, there were several acts of piracy in the first PotC film. As you mentioned, there was the raid on Port Royal, there was also when Jack and Will took the Dauntless, then the interceptor, and then the last battle where the skeletal pirates snuck aboard the Dauntless and started massacring her crew. Plus the theft of the fishing boat by Jack that wasn't actually shown, but was implied by him riding (or sinking) it into Port. But yeah really none in the others. I can't think of a single act of piracy in movies 2 or 3.

And as for the mutiny... well, since the intent was to take the ship, and all the gold, plus those doing it were clearly ex-buccaneers, I'd say it counts. It counts at least as much as privateering does, in any case.

Jack and Will commandeered the ships.;) Jack "borrowed" the ship he was first seen in.

I don't count fights between the Royal Navy or the East India Compay and pirates as acts of piracy. The taking of the Interceptor was close but it was more of a fight between rival pirate crew.

The attack against the ship carrying Will was definitely piracy but it took place off camera.

For real piracy, you have to go back to movies like Captain Blood or the Black Swan. I think that the Spanish Main had some real piracy, also. Back then, pirates nearly always attacked evil Spanish ships captained by fat, pompous captains who obviously deserved to be taken (plus they had all the gold).

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I see nobody has mentioned one of my favorites, "Damn the Defiant." (1962) For those unfamiliar with it, Alec Guiness is a Royal Navy captain during the Napoleonic wars who gets a psycho officer (Dirk Bogarde at his slimiest)who delights in subverting his commanders and getting them beached. Why can't they control a subordinate? This man has powerful friends at court and in Parliament, an unpleasant fact of life in the RN of those days. This movie features a deck fight of surpassing savagery for the time it was made.

(British title: "HMS Defiant.")

Edited by John Maddox Roberts