Put-In-Bay Pirate Festival June 25-27 2010

michaelsbagley

Hey everyone,

This one has been a bit of a rocky road, but I am charging forth to make the best of it for this year.

Over the weekend of June 25th to 27th (the last weekend of this month), pirate re-enactors have been invited to camp and display at this pirate festival. The festival is a few years old, but has mostly been focused on a pirate theme, but I checked the festival out last year, and got in touch with the organizer, and after some "on again/off-again" question marks, we have an area to camp in, and perhaps display from.

I have an email out to the organizer to clear up some last minute details, but if there is anyone in Northern Ohio, or willing to travel from near or far, we could use some extra man and woman power.

This will not be a strict historical encampment, but we prefer more historical influenced pirates, as the festival has a good size pirate entertainer contingent already, although all pirate are welcome and encouraged to attend and participate in most of the events of the weekend.

Put-In-Bay is pretty much a resort island in Lake Erie about a mile off the coast of northern Ohio, about half way between Cleavland and Toledo. While it is a "party island", the drinking laws are pretty strict. So those considering this should come knowing that all drinking will happen in the bars (just down the street from we are camping, maybe a 10 minute walk), and there will not be any drinking in the camp. Also, they can be pretty heavy handed on "drunken disorderly" charges (going from what I have heard), so while those who enjoy a good drink or many, should do so.... A modest amount of restraint should be kept as well. On a more positive note, it is a "party island" and everyone there always has a great time, there are usually some great bar bands playing in most of the bars, and being an island, there is a strong harbour town/port city feel to the place. The docks are loaded sometimes two or three boats deep throughout most of the summer months. Last year the Niagara was there, and I think the Niagara is scheduled to be there as well. The Niagara is a reproduction early 19th century (War of 1812 era) schooner, and just a beautiful ship!

I will be the main go-to guy on this one, so if you are interested, or just want more information, please post here or contact me in private.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok....silly Question#326

how do we get everything on the Island?

(never having been to the island)....i see that there are a couple of Ferry ta get there....one passenger only...and a car ferry...but the site says not to use car ferry due o up to 4 hour wait times....

and most ferrys dont allow (blackpowder) crossing....guns swords tentspoles etc.....what is the suggestion for best way to get there??

or can anyone come get me up in Port Detroit and Boat me in??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

ok....silly Question#326

how do we get everything on the Island?

(never having been to the island)....i see that there are a couple of Ferry ta get there....one passenger only...and a car ferry...but the site says not to use car ferry due o up to 4 hour wait times....

and most ferrys dont allow (blackpowder) crossing....guns swords tentspoles etc.....what is the suggestion for best way to get there??

or can anyone come get me up in Port Detroit and Boat me in??

Last year when Mark and I went up to check it out, if memory serves me well, we wore our swords on the ferry (I think we did anyways, it was a year ago). But the advice to not drive to the island is good. I do recall very long lineups of cars, and when we got to the island the island shuttles did have to navigate around a TON of bicycles, golf carts and other smaller obstructions, so packing light would likely be the way to go. We are working on getting dockage for one of Mark's boats... If we are able to pull that off, we may be able to take advantage of having a boat and bring more stuff (depending on Mark's permission to use his boat, finding dockage, and having sufficient rowers etc.). We may have to meet at the ferry, and load all stuff into one vehicle in order to facilitate this... But like I said, there are still some hanging questions that may affect how we best approach this.

Black Powder and weapons is still a hanging question for this outing. The organizer is good about getting back to me, but he is usually a few days in doing so, so please be patient while I raise those questions.

Edit: PS, the questions are helping, as this is a pretty last minute arrangement, all the questions are helping me find and hopefully head off any potential frustrations! So please keep the questions rolling whether you can make it or not!

Michael_banner.jpg

Okay, I just got off the phone with the organizer.... And I have some answers...

While Compensation is not on the table, the festival is willing to cover ferry costs for a limited number of pirate re-enactors. As of this moment, that number is not firm (which means negotiable), and is also higher than the number of folks I think will actually be able to show up... So pretty much, if you are interested, and let me know soon... I can get the ferry costs (for your person only, not cars/trucks other vehicles). They are also springing for continental style breakfast, and likely lunch as well. He is going to try and get supper covered as well, but that is still a big question mark at this time.

As for the camp, and transporting gear. We will be able to get one vehicle pass for the ferry. So, we will have to meet on the mainland (Friday evening), load all tents and heavy stuff (including black powder stuff) into one vehicle (outside chance of two) and transport the stuff in that one vehicle. Why only one vehicle? Well, we have dockage for a boat, so we will be granted one vehicle with trailer/boat ferry pass. This is up to Mark, but we will likely bring either the Black Sheep or Firefly. One of the conditions for a second vehicle pass, is the bringing of a second boat. So if Mark is agreeable to bringing both the Black Sheep and Firefly, we may be able to get a second vehicle pass.

Now the big news. The costume contest (which will be a mix of period and more pop-culture inspired costumes) has a grand prize of a trip for two to the Cayman Islands (Air/Hotel, and a scuba package) during the pirate festival in the Cayman islands this autumn. All re-enactors are encouraged to participate in the costume contest.

We can set up a tent/fly in the park where we will be displaying throughout the day (the main park in downtown), but we can not under any circumstances have anyone sleeping in the tent. It is basically for shade, and to act as a base of operations during the day. We will be camped to sleep a short walk away from this area (I was assured the sleeping camp area was less than a 3 minute walk rather than the ten minutes I guessed at).

I think that should cover all the basics, if there are any more details I need to have addressed, please let me know.

Hope some more of you can make it!

Michael_banner.jpg

sounds like the meeting up afore time sounds like the best option for bigger camp items....otherwise looks like the ultimate "pack - in" event..

OI! Mark....does yur "Dead Sheep" have a sailing rig??..come get me we'll sail South from the Port City of DeTroit...pickin' up the "surgeon" along the way...!?!?

for those "packing in" or packing light...a sugestion of comunity tents might be in order?...or the "scootch over" method perhaps??

sounds like the meeting up afore time sounds like the best option for bigger camp items....otherwise looks like the ultimate "pack - in" event..

OI! Mark....does yur "Dead Sheep" have a sailing rig??..come get me we'll sail South from the Port City of DeTroit...pickin' up the "surgeon" along the way...!?!?

for those "packing in" or packing light...a sugestion of comunity tents might be in order?...or the "scootch over" method perhaps??

Well, I have already offered the tarp shelter to Professor Death, but it does sleep two... If you are brave enough to share it with him! ;)

What kind of tent do you have M.A. d'Dogge? If I knew what you had, I could better guess at how we could fit it or make it work. I'm sure we could transport a wedge for you, but I don't rightly recall whether you own a wedge or one of those lordly pavilions (or something in between).

Michael_banner.jpg

somone STOLE me wall tent...they "found" it at the School of the Sailor event...dang pirates..caint trust em says i

still got my rickity ole "convertable wedge".....i can bring it or not....still checking the calendar to see if I can make it...buts it's so close I am tryin to

The Black sheep needs a mast and a better sail - the one that came with it is only suitable if the wind is right at your back.

Firefly sails nicely but it would probably be a 20-hour round trip. :lol:

On the other hand, we will probably take our big tent. It has room for a few others.

Mark

hey mates. I can't make this, but here is a logistics thought for you. if one of the boats makes it onto the ferry, could you load her to the gunnels with your gear?

i think that was suggested...but the logistics would come into all trying to meet BEFORE getting on the ferry....most will be traveling from quite a distance yet...so far best idea i think wopuld be to have somebring for share of many..

..or just stay up all night instead....hmmmmmm :lol:

hey mates. I can't make this, but here is a logistics thought for you. if one of the boats makes it onto the ferry, could you load her to the gunnels with your gear?

i think that was suggested...but the logistics would come into all trying to meet BEFORE getting on the ferry....most will be traveling from quite a distance yet...so far best idea i think wopuld be to have somebring for share of many..

..or just stay up all night instead....hmmmmmm :lol:

I was planning on that. That's how we transported four people and tents for six to Blackbeards last year (and this year I have a better trailer).

Mark

so ok....better count me in...too close to pass (then I caint complain on all the driven I gotta do)

keep me informed on specifics as they come...ie what and who displays...what ya want me to bring, times..etcetc

Well M.A.d'Dogge it will be a pleasure to have you along as always!

Playing to some of the strengths I know you have, bringing your rather impressive collection of weapons along and setting you up as one of the main (or the main) weapons demo guy would be an easy idea... I imagine the rest of us will bring our selection of personal weapons (within reason). But please feel free to bring whatever display stuff you think appropriate along. This event will likely be a bit more display heavy and action light than most we have done so far (comparing to the Santa Maria events here).

One thing Mark is toying with is bringing both boats, using Firefly for outings, and setting up the Black Sheep in our display area to be worked on (he suggested bringing some wood and making a new mast for her). Mark will also be bringing some of his navigational devices, and he and I are both bringing what period (and periodish) tools we have along (hopefully to work on the Black Sheep).

I have been toying with the notion of bringing the new rope ladder Mark and I made for the last Santa Maria event(there was some slippage concerns with it, but fortunately no accidents). So I will likely be adding some seizing to the ladders and other knot/rope work with it.

So far, we are confirmed for camping a short walk from the main drag, we are confirmed for having breakfasts and lunches provided for Saturday and Sunday. We will likely be doing some brazier cooking for Saturday night supper, the ladies are working on a menu, one that includes lots of oats I might add (kidding! :D ). So the cooking will likely be a part of the display for later Saturday afternoon. Our display area will be in the main park, and we can have a single tent there (and a fly for extra shade), but we are strictly forbidden under any circumstances to sleep in that particular tent, we have to sleep in the camping area. There are public restrooms near both our display area and our camp area, so we are covered there.

Because we may be out in the boat some, you might want to bring both working clothes (short coat etc.) and your fancier stuff as well (for the costume contest). For the record, I have put my money on you winning the damned trip! Stupid M.A.d'Dogge! ;)

The last thing is that as of now (but subject to change, and I will let you know if it does change), we will have to aim to all meet up on the mainland area for the ferry on Friday evening at 7:00 PM (Friday June 25th), that is when we will have to load all the camp gear, black powder stuff, and anything else you don't want to carry on your person into the one or two vehicles and boats. Then the one or two vehicles will drive onto the ferry, and the pedestrian passengers will have to do the same. When on the island, the pedestrians may have to take a shuttle to the downtown area. As of this moment, while our ferry will be covered, the shuttle to downtown has not been mentioned, so you may need $3 to $5 to cover that... Although now that I have thought of it, I will raise this issue and see if we can get covered for that as well.

We will also all need to discuss how late on Sunday we can all stay. As we will have to coordinate bringing all the heavy camp gear back to the main land at the same time, so no one has to leave their stuff behind.

Let me know if I haven't covered everything, and I will make sure I get the info to you, or get answers from the organizer.

Michael_banner.jpg

Camping...in one of the campgrounds i am assuming...which one?...Period or Modern...???....would there be any need to bring period if only one dislpay tent allowed in Park?...whose tent for display?...i do have my lean too/ wedge if one is needed(opens for display then batten down at night)

how much is it for the car ferry and which one is it? i got the whole day off thought about getting there earlier than 7pm friday

saw on the site...said starts friday at 4pm with a battle of the Niagra...this still happening?

who is the HOST group...saw they had some local pirates planning skirmishes?

Camping...in one of the campgrounds i am assuming...which one?...Period or Modern...???....would there be any need to bring period if only one dislpay tent allowed in Park?...whose tent for display?...i do have my lean too/ wedge if one is needed(opens for display then batten down at night)

Actually, we will be camped in a public area, just off the main drag so period camping is preferred. And they would like us to keep a period ambiance despite our camp not being a part of the formal display. A big part of the reason for this is the previous re-enactors left an unfortunate legacy for us to try and overcome. I was leaning towards using Mark's pavillion for the display tent in the main park, as he has a fly for it, and it is the largest tent. So I would recommend saving your lean-to/wedge for your own personal sleeping quarters. To go into more detail, we are camped on a private owned small amusement parks grassy area, because the current mayor had a bad taste in his mouth from the previous re-enactors camping in the main park from last year, and wouldn't issue a permit for us to camp in the main public park. Make sense?

how much is it for the car ferry and which one is it? i got the whole day off thought about getting there earlier than 7pm friday

I am not sure how much the car ferry is, but it isn't an issue as the event organizer is covering us (for one or maybe two vehicles, and those would be the vehicle<s?> towing the boat<s?>) and all pedestrian ferry users with us. Which is kind of why our hands are somewhat tied in all showing up at the same time. You could look up the ferry and price it out, but you will likely have some serious issues parking on the island as well. So if I can at all convince you to hold off until 7:00 PM, then please do so. But if you are bound and determined to show up earlier, I will see what I can arrange for you, just please let me know what you are planning and if you are willing to wait or not.

saw on the site...said starts friday at 4pm with a battle of the Niagra...this still happening?

I would guess this is true, but the display re-enactors (as in "us") are not a part of this. My best guess only the crew of the Niagara wold be involved in that. The organizer and I talked specifically about us showing up Friday evening at around 7:00 PM (he is flexible there, I just wanted to give everyone a chance to show up, as some are coming from further out).

Host group.... To my knowledge there is none. The festival is organized by a small group of business folks from the island (mostly Bar owners). The skirmishes you read about are likely the POTC impersonators that are also a part of the festival (who do sword fighting only, no Black Powder), or perhaps a reference to us re-enactors (but re-enactors skirmishes haven't been sorted out just yet). As far as I am concerned we (the re-enactors) will be operating as "The Scioto Pirates" or "The Mercury Crew", or even just "a bunch of like-minded re-enactors from different groups working together for this event".... I have never cared much for that whole "Crew" thing.

All good questions M.A.d'Dogge! Keep 'em coming! :D And for now, I guess I will have to get on sorting out the details of what battle arrangements we will have. Right after I count how many pirate we will have available (which is looking like about a dozen +/-).

Michael_banner.jpg

The (more or less) final count is in, and it looks like there will be 12 of us for this one.

We will be getting two ferry passes for vehicles with the trailers/boats. So both the Black Sheep and Firefly will be going up. There will be 10 additional passes for the others to cross on the ferry as pedestrians. We will aim to meet up at 7:00 PM Friday evening (some of us will try to be there at 6:30 so we can hurry up and wait to help get things organized). We can load any and all camp gear, weapons, and anything else into the two vehicles as well as load up the boats to move things over to the island at that time. If you can't make it Friday by 7:00 PM, you are likely going to have to carry your stuff in yourself, or borrow/share accommodations. I don't want to sound like a hard-a$$ about this, but because of the situation, our hands are tied. Those not bringing camping gear and day-tripping can show up Saturday morning or Friday evening as per their prefernce.

Anyone else planning to bring a vehicle onto the island will have to pay their own way, and find their own parking on the island (neither of which is a good idea). Again, I don't mean to come off as harsh, but we can work with the parameters and try to work together, or not and likely have to deal with bigger frustrations ;) .

Battle plans, at this time, the possibility of a battle is still shakey, but if there is a battle, it will likely be on the two boats (Firefly and the Black Sheep). It will also likely get squeezed in Saturday afternoon, and depend on the harbour traffic, and other elements out of our control and also beyond the control of the event organizers as well.... So all we can do is be prepared, and hope for the best. We can likely do some sword fighting as a part of our display, but if any of us plan to try this, we will likely have to try and work around the POTC impersonators and try not to interrupt their scheduled shows/skirmishes (and maybe not show them up too badly ;) ).

I think I have covered as much details as I can for this one. I'll be in touch with those I know to be coming over the next week to arrange a rendezvous point. If there are any last minute folks who want to join in, I won't rule it out, but the sooner I know you want to come along, the better chance I have of getting you coverage for the ferry and food.

A huge thanks to those who have pulled together to make this one happen! I was worried with the on-again, off-again roller coaster this one has gone through we wouldn't have a good showing for this one, but a dozen pirates is better than what I had hoped for at this late hour! :lol:

Cheers!

Michael_banner.jpg

Actually, we will be camped in a public area, just off the main drag so period camping is preferred. And they would like us to keep a period ambiance despite our camp not being a part of the formal display. A big part of the reason for this is the previous re-enactors left an unfortunate legacy for us to try and overcome. I was leaning towards using Mark's pavillion for the display tent in the main park, as he has a fly for it, and it is the largest tent. So I would recommend saving your lean-to/wedge for your own personal sleeping quarters. To go into more detail, we are camped on a private owned small amusement parks grassy area, because the current mayor had a bad taste in his mouth from the previous re-enactors camping in the main park from last year, and wouldn't issue a permit for us to camp in the main public park. Make sense?

I am not sure how much the car ferry is, but it isn't an issue as the event organizer is covering us (for one or maybe two vehicles, and those would be the vehicle<s?> towing the boat<s?>) and all pedestrian ferry users with us. Which is kind of why our hands are somewhat tied in all showing up at the same time. You could look up the ferry and price it out, but you will likely have some serious issues parking on the island as well. So if I can at all convince you to hold off until 7:00 PM, then please do so. But if you are bound and determined to show up earlier, I will see what I can arrange for you, just please let me know what you are planning and if you are willing to wait or not.

I would guess this is true, but the display re-enactors (as in "us") are not a part of this. My best guess only the crew of the Niagara wold be involved in that. The organizer and I talked specifically about us showing up Friday evening at around 7:00 PM (he is flexible there, I just wanted to give everyone a chance to show up, as some are coming from further out).

Host group.... To my knowledge there is none. The festival is organized by a small group of business folks from the island (mostly Bar owners). The skirmishes you read about are likely the POTC impersonators that are also a part of the festival (who do sword fighting only, no Black Powder), or perhaps a reference to us re-enactors (but re-enactors skirmishes haven't been sorted out just yet). As far as I am concerned we (the re-enactors) will be operating as "The Scioto Pirates" or "The Mercury Crew", or even just "a bunch of like-minded re-enactors from different groups working together for this event".... I have never cared much for that whole "Crew" thing.

All good questions M.A.d'Dogge! Keep 'em coming! ;) And for now, I guess I will have to get on sorting out the details of what battle arrangements we will have. Right after I count how many pirate we will have available (which is looking like about a dozen +/-).

Last year they had a small group of PotC impersonators who did a fairly good four-way choreographed fencing bit. That is probably the skirmish.

The had a group of F&I reenactors who set up a half-hearted camp. We tried to talk with them but they immediately started in about pirates wearing eyepatches so that they could see in the dark. I think that the depth of their knowledge about pirates came from watching Mythbusters. This was the group that left a bad impression.

There was also someone who has a foundry and casts cannons. He had a really ugly barge with a really impressive battery of cannons. I think that he is the reason the mayor said no black powder. The mayor didn't like the noise from the cannons firing on the green. The mayor's authority ends at the waterline so we can fire from the boats.

Prior to last year the festival was limited to some bars. Last year it became an official island-wide event.

Mark

Jennie and I discussed meals this evening and came up with what might be a bit of a plan.

Michael says that the event is providing us some sort of continental-type breakfast, and then some sort of lunch, so all we really planned for was dinner. Though if anyone wants to bring things to go in addition to the breakfast and lunch, feel free to let us know?

So dinner...

Smoked sausages

Rice (some sort of tasty rice side...)

A veggie side

of course....bread

Jennie and I would be VERY much appreciative of anything that anyone would like to bring to help with the supper meal (Or as snacks, etc for the rest of the time), but please post anything here so that we don't have too much of one thing and not enough of another.

Of course, if anyone has better (or easier) ideas, let us know that too. We were just trying to think of something with the least amount of being over a hot fire as possible.

Thanks,

Kate

Banner.jpg

Just spoke to Trish....she is going to bring a couple bags of salad, some bread, and a couple of giaganto cans of baked beans for supper. Jeannie said she would pick up sausages and butter. I am going to -try- to bang out a rum cake tomorrow and I will bring the fixings for the rice dish.

Anyone else????

Banner.jpg

I'll be there on Saturday. I'm taking the Jet-Express ferry so I have the option to leave later than 8pm. I'm bringing my bike...you would not believe to what a pain in the arse the Patrick Hand Original hat is going to be. I am using all my engineering wiles to create a structure to affix it to my backpack without permanently folding the brim. (Some day someone's going to have to explain to me how to block a hat. Or maybe not. The multiple bends in the brim are acquiring an air of character...)

Oh, and could someone bring an extra mug? Mine is officially MIA since Searle's. (And my Spring Lancet turned up missing after the Santa Maria event last month. Looks like I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on my stuff...what a pain. ;) )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

my attendance is turning ...shakey...at best....trying to get things to fall in the right order for me to attend...micky/kate i'll give you a definate....well probably not til friday morning(hopefully)...this event is WAY to close for me too miss it...2 1/2 hour drive (only 45 by speed boat)...hmmmmmm thinkin ;)