Memorial Day

After World War Two, with hundreds of thousands of new graves to tend, the tradition evolved that “Decoration Day,” would be a day of national commemoration "Memorial Day"

A National moment of Remembrance requests silence for one minute, exactly at 3.00 pm (local time) when 'Taps' is played and reflect on the glory of those who have died for our country

"For those directly affected..war seldom pays for it's losses"

Please remember to observe this solemn moment. I will remember my father who was one of the lucky to come home, and all those who have served and fallen, served and retired and still do.

My dad John served as Seargeant in the 272nd Anti tank division in WWII. He was away for 4 years. Though I didn't know him then I always thanked him on memorial day for our country's freedom . He was a fireman as well and a great dad. He has passed on some years ago and we had a nice ceremony for him at Calverton National Cemetary two days ago where his ashes rest. Thanks Dad.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I never call it Happy Memorial Day. For in some cases, it's not so happy. It's often bittersweet. It's happy, it's sad, it's memories, and moments we wish to forget. However, it is a Memorial day. A day to remember and honor those whom did what needed to be done, to serve our country, to offer their lives when some of us were unable to fight or unwilling. Those who sacrificed not only gave their lives but everything else... the rest of their life.

This is in honor of my uncle Bobby who fell in Vietnam (and yes, my eyes are tearing up as I type this) plus both of my grandfathers who were lucky to have survived WW2 and live into their 70s with grand, fond memories made and better yet, to leave my family with momentos and personal accounts of their time spent during WW2 in the European campaigns. I salute them and later on, will make a trip to their graves to place a flag on their graves. As will I place a flag on the memorial of a Revolutionary War soldier who moved to Iowa, lived and died here at the age of 90 oh so long ago.

This day is so we never, NEVER forget ALL of those who fought in wars from the Seven Years War and War of Independence all the way up to the War on Terrorism now. They fight for us.

HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Thank you for this thread. My Grandfather served in the Spanish American War. He served in the State Guard in WWI, too. My Dad tried to enlist in WWII but he was too old, he served in the Guard on a munitions train form Winchesters to NYC's Docks. My Mother was a U.S.Army Nurse, 1st Lt. She served stateside for a while on a POW Ward. Mom passed 5 years ago. I was always so proud of her service. Both her brothers were active duty. Uncle Leon was USAF for 30 years. He's 90, married 63 years and in great shape. Uncle Sid was a Radio Signalman with the Army. After all other Operators were KIA, he remained at his post directing fire for over 70 hours. He was decorated and as a reward they gave him a radio, a book of silhouettes and dropped him on an island with 6 natives for two years! THeir only entertainment was Uncle Sid's Ukelele! If caught, the Japanese would have treated him as a spy! My Uncle Harold, Dad's Brother, was in the European Theater. My Uncle Harold, Mom's Brother-in-Law, was a Corpman. His outfit hit a beach in the Pacific and in minutes the doctor was dead and he was "it"! His background was Podiatry yet he was doing everything needed because he had to. I learned this from my Mom. He never talked about it. He was one of the best friends I ever had.

Because I can read, I thank a teacher. Because I can read in English, I thank the Veterans of WWII!

My father was in WW2 (Stateside), Korea, and Vietnam. 24 years of service. He was in the 56th Trans Co. in Vietnam-"Find 'em. Fix 'em, Fly 'em"...helicopter mechanic. They would fly out to a crash site, land, get the crashed chopper in flying condition, then fly it out back to base where further work could be done in more...secure...conditions.

Family's been in a lot of wars...my great grandfather was in Civil War (1st Mich. Infantry) , likely saw action at First Mannassas before mustering out due to him coming down with just about every camp sickness it was possible to catch...despite that, Nelson Hill Curtis made it into the 1920's.

Damn, thats sharp!