Possible Pirate Fest in Charleston SC

Baron Don

Ahoy mates,

I think it's about time that Charleston, South Carolina had its own pirate festival. That's why I'm going to try and organize one. My plan would be to theme the festival around Blackbeard's blockade of Charles Town in 1718. I hope to be able to find a tall ship that would stand in as the Queen Anne's Revenge. There would be a pub crawl, a pirate camping area, and many other activities for both re-enacting pirates and families alike. I would love to be able to get a musical act, like Cap'n Bogg and Salty or the like. Charleston is rich in history and would be a great place to have such a festival. So, I really just want to know what my mates think of this idea. Would you lot on the east coast come and enjoy? How about folks from afar? Any suggestions that you may have would be great, and for any festival organizers who have advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Aye, I would DEFINITELY come and bring my crew, too, mate! That's a guarantee. Count me in! :rolleyes:

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

There are too many variables at this time to say that I would come but I can say that I would like to attend. A date that doesn't conflict with several other events, Historically Accurate (HA) camping, and being able to fund my transportation would be the deciding factors for me.

i am much a fan if this idea as well...any excuse to go to charleston really....lol i am sure you would find a vessle(or a few really) that would come to it.....making it a more history oriented event would float alot of peoples boats.......

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

The Crew of the Charles Towne Few have been working toward that end for four years now ;-}

http://www.myspace.com/the-charles-towne-few

Contact Captain Red Richard via emai Fiskerj@aol.com and have had been active durring the tall ships

http://www.charlestonharborfest.org/archived_news.html#swarm

Edited by Bright

An EXCELLENT idea! It appears that there are more than one minds thinking alike on this one. I agree with Silkie - but if there is anyway humanly possible for me to be there, I will be.

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

If you are looking fer a musical pirate show, look no further!! The Hysterically Correct Pirate Show can be performed with or without the rum songs, and is always a hit with the pirates. Original pirate music, traditional sea chantys, lively jigs and hornpipes..... we can even incorporate pirate drills working and fighting like real pirates. If you are interested, there is more info about what we offer at www.hystericallycorrect.com

Willoughby

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mate, I assume you mean for next year? As any organizer will tell you, a good festival takes about a year to organize, fund, find site, entertainment, camping(?), vendors, deal with local ordanances and laws, get insurance, security, restroom facilites, etc, etc, etc.

For music, you may want to consider The Brigands, thebrigands.com. Performing at pirate festivals, faires, boat burnings and up and down the East coast from Maine to Florida, written up in the all pirate issue of Renaissance magazine, featured on Bilgemunky Radio and Renn Radio, almost weekly, and featured in Pyrate's Way Magazine. Performed for A&E entertainment ( The History Channel ). Check out the website, music and videos.

Good Luck, mate.

Edited by Capt Thighbiter

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Aye! I'm in, as long as it's next year. Kinda booked up fer this year. What time o' th' year would ye be holdin' this 'ere festival o' yorn?

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation

That's only 3 hours from me.

Idea for a central date-theme:

- Blackbeard's blockade (summer and HOT)

- The hanging of Bonnet and Worley and their crews (November). They were hung on the site now occupied by the Battery, in between the shore low-high tide area was filled in and a wall built to support a defense cannon battery. There are LOTS of cannons there from the 18th and 19th C (closed off and sealed muzzles), plus a stone engraved w/ a paragraph on the hangings. A "memorial service" loaded w/ historical content would be interesting and a GREAT PR/news event.

Or:

Combine the 2 ideas and have a "casual" one-day event in November that also acts as PR for a larger 2-part (one pop-pirate and the other historically-correct period) event in the summer.

The November one could be done shortly w/ the other a year or 2 away.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

If it be a vessel wi' a fight in 'er, I sez contact Capt. Horatio Sinbad, Master and Commander o' the "Meka"II. 8 guns, Brig o' War, Homeport Beaufort, N.C. If'n ye wants t' see 'er as she does what she does, come to Beaufort August 13th and 14th and ye shall see her in action. Ye may call upon me, Dutch, Bosun o' the "Meka" t' get word through t' me Captain or ye may looks into yer pewter at www.pirate-privateer.com and see what they'ns have stuffed in that magical box. Wishin ye fair winds an hopin t' see ye in Charleston, hopefully in November, in the near future!