History of the Mercury

I'm collecting and sifting materials for our use. This gives us a history to refer to as players to the public and it creates materials for period style publications, as discussed in many threads prior to this one. I've posted some of this before in other threads, but I've been fine tuning it with references to the Pub to create our historical fiction materials and to chronicle our discussions as a crew on the Pub.

I did a brief, historical write-up on the Mercury years back as a possible template for her past. It involved the finding of the Mercury under another name after she had been swept ashore in a storm or battle by a previous crew. It also explained her alteration from a Bermuda Sloop to a Brig-Sloop. I don't recall the dates specifically, but as Captain Jim officially proposed the careening crew on December 11 of 2006, we could say that the crew found the sloop on December 11, 1716. As the name Mercury was accepted as the sloop's name on January 29, 2007, we could say that was the day she was reborn as a completed Brig-Sloop in 1717.

This time frame would have given the crew a month and a half to make the repairs and alter the rigging of the damaged ship. It would have also given them sufficient time for to cannibalize their own ship for timber, line, canvas, ship's stores and great guns. This also gives us a narrative timeline to place our characters soundly between 1716 and 1720, plus any history of those pirates who knew each other before.

So tentative timeline...December 1715 to 1720 (all dates below coinciding with their respective dates in Pub discussions, i.e. 1715 for 2005, and 1720 for 2010)

December 1715

The Whole Company takes the Speedwell on the high seas. (based on the original proposal by the attendees of the Fort Zachary Taylor Pirate Fest to base the careening encampment in 1715, and the name Speedwell, as it was the first name seriously considered for the sloop)

Early December 1716

Mutterings about the Speedwell's condition begin to pass among the crew before and abaft the mast. The aged ship shows a great need for replacement or careening. (This is in conjunction with the many unrecorded conversations while at Pirates in Paradise about starting a careening crew for the following year's event)

December 8, 1716

Patrick Hand raises the public proposal that the crew put to shore to establish a careening camp and to mend their aging ship. William Brand is once again nominated for Quartermaster of the Whole Company. This nomination is seconded by Jim warren and passed to the crew for a vote and the preparations for a careening camp begin. (Posted 08 December, "Pyrate Camp")

December 9, 1716

The crew of the Speedwell put in at the Keys despite the presence of soldiers in the area. Having paid off the Governor to look the other way, the pirates take advantage of their 'paid alliance' and spend the evening ashore. Patrick Hand tears up the local tavern in a drunken rage and is arrested by the local militia. I great disturbance ensues and even the ship is threatened offshore, but the animosity is put down by agreement between the Governor and the Captain. The Speedwell crew is urged to put to sea in an effort to ease the local tension. (This is based on a proposed re-enactment scenario by Patrick Hand, Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:11 PM, "PIP 2007!!")

December 11, 1716

Jim Warren sights the Bay of St. Joseph and a damaged sloop is discovered run aground there. (Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:45 PM, "Pyrate Camp")

December 13, 1716

The Whole Company investigates the damaged remains of the Bermuda Sloop and decides to abandon their own well worn craft in favor of the newer vessel, due to her lighter, quality construction and favorable line. They anchor offshore, using their ship in defense of the newer sloop while careened. (Coinciding with Jim Warren's thread on the Pub called "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp", first posted to on the 13th of December in 2006)

December 14, 1716

Work begins on what will become the Mercury. She is properly beached and careened. Line and tackle are set for the removal of her remaining rigging. Men are sent inland to make a survey of materials, to discover fresh water and food, and to assess any possible threats to the Whole Company. Recruitment from the local population begins. (This is based on the review of our First Year Goal to increase the attendance at Pirates in Paradise, Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:59 AM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp")

December 14-29 1716

A loose tarp and canvas encampment springs up along the treeline over time as more and more goods and tools are brought ashore. Clothes are swapped, mended and traded among fellow pirates. (After the discussion in "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp" and the posts made between December 14th and December 19th)

December 30, 1716

Having been discovered by tradesmen, craftsmen and other locals ashore, the Whole Company begins a cautious, but open trade with the townspeople of the area. (This date specifically coincides with the discussion on the Pub about having women in the crew at PIP - Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:47 AM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp").

January 9, 1717

Patrick Hand, pirate son of a printer, suggests that a new name be chosen for the discovered sloop, offering the transfer of the name Speedwell from their previous vessel. This becomes but the first of many names to be considered. (Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:14 AM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp")

January 10, 1717

The longboat is renamed the Gullah by Harry Smid. (Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:08 PM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp")

January 11, 1717

Patrick Hand proposes that the whole history of the Company (and the soon to be named sloop) be kept and recorded from that day forward. (This coincides with Patrick's desire to see a booklet published with the ship's history, for use by the public at Fort Zachary Taylor, Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:18 PM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp")

January 19, 1717

William Brand broaches the subject of changing the ship's rigging. The crew considers alteration of the rigging from one mast to two. This is debated by the Whole Company over the course of many days and they eventually decide upon a brig-sloop rigging. (Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:07 PM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp")

January 28, 1717

Dorian Lasseter suggests that the name of the new ship should be Mercury. This name quickly eclipses the popular choices of Morning Star and Solstice. (Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:53 PM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp". Strangely enough, Ol Man of the Sea made a comment two days earlier where he finished his post by saying, "We must be gettin' warm cause Mercury's risin'", but never officially recommended Mercury as a proposed name.)

January 29, 1717

'Mercury' is accepted as the name of the sloop by majority and she is launched upon her career of infamy and fortune. (Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:56 AM, "Creating the 1720 Careening Camp") An inventory of the ship's stores and requirements is made by all hands. Line and canvas are assessed. All barrels, bales, Hogsheads, boxes, crates, casks and containers are tallied and stored. (Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:50 AM, "The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp")

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 years later...

It's in this picture:

goat_madagascar_fort_dauphin_ken_walker.

(Actually, I hadn't heard anything at all, I just wanted another excuse to post this picture.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I meant to post this before, but illness and numerous interruptions delayed it until today.

Mister Thatcher has kindly purchased this letter of marque for use by the Crew of the Mercury. It is of course another fine product from Letters of Marque in the UK and it will make a fine display piece among our other 'documents'.

George01_zps93b0a4eb.jpg

George02_zpsf6993cd6.jpg

GeorgeDetail02_zps42103672.jpg

GeorgeDetail01_zps4b67752c.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Hey PoD, will you print my entire book in period correct form when (if) I ever finish it?

I want a really, really long title like a proper period book would have, perhaps one that runs over onto the next page.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hey PoD, will you print my entire book in period correct form when (if) I ever finish it?

I want a really, really long title like a proper period book would have, perhaps one that runs over onto the next page.

Yeah I can do that. I need to get into book binding anyway as have a few navigation related books I want to reproduce. I might treat myself to a course on it later in the year.

you only need to look at the titles of some of the 17th/18th century dissertations to get an idea of how you can stretch a couple of word title into a short essay.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

For our crew, it had better be a replica. (Otherwise, what would the Archangels do with themselves at FTPI?)

There's a course in period bookbinding?! I wish I could take that. The bookbinding thing has been stowed as a point of interest in the back of my mind ever since we discussed how books were made during period in The Value of Books during the GAoP.

Speaking of, I have something for you when I see you next month, PoD. I think you'll quite like it. :)

Mission_banner5.JPG