Scottish Meat Pies

Have had a lot of requests for the recipe after folks have eaten my pies at events so here it is:

Scottish Meat Pies

Prepare piecrust for 2 double crust 9"pies (this is for one batch)

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 cup shortening

* 1/2 cup water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

2. Roll out dough on a floured counter. Don't over work it. Use as directed in pie recipe.

Footnotes

If necessary, use a little less water than called for in recipe.

PREHEAT OVEN to 375 F

Filling;

Finely chop about 1 1/2 lbs. of yellow onions

shred 2 lbs of potatoes

1 1/2 lb of ground beef

1 1/2 lb of ground pork or mild sausage

2 tbsp of Montreal Steak Spice

1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper

Place the filling ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine until well blended. divide into the prepared crusts and cover and pinch the tops closed.

place pies into the oven with a bit of foil over the outer edges of the crust (remove foil after 45 min.) and bake for 1 1/2 hour or until the crust has turned a golden brown. Makes two 9" pies

Each pie makes about 8 servings and can be kept and reheated for up to about week in the fridge or frozen wrapped in a freezer bag. Enjoy them!

Join those with a nice bowl of spring greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a sprinkle of grated Reggiano/Asiago cheese and a good porter or stout, you'll have a meal fit for the gods. B)

I sometimes enjoy them with a bit of HP sauce or A1 if you can't get HP.

Edited by callenish gunner

Damn Callenish, do you know where to find HP sauce in this country? I've been looking for it for years, and had no luck! I swear next time I visit Toronto, I am going to smuggle a case of the stuff back here!

Michael,

I will pick you up a bottle at the English shop in St. Charles Mo. and bring it to FDC........I hope they have it..... they usally do !!!!

Fairwinds

Capt. J...

Yo Ho.......

Wow, who knew that Harry Potter had his own sauce :ph34r:

No, really, I know what it really is, but did you know that there are recipes online to simulate it if it is not available in your area?

see: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Hp-Sauce-55905 or http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29789 (recipe is further down the page, actually a couple of recipes on this second link)

Edited by Littleneckhalfshell

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Have had a lot of requests for the recipe after folks have eaten my pies at events so here it is:

Scottish Meat Pies

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 cup shortening

* 1/2 cup water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

2. Roll out dough on a floured counter. Don't over work it. Use as directed in pie recipe.

Footnotes

PREHEAT OVEN to 375 F

Filling;

shred 2 lbs of potatoes

1 1/2 lb of ground beef

Place the filling ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine until well blended. divide into the prepared crusts and cover and pinch the tops closed.

place pies into the oven with a bit of foil over the outer edges of the crust (remove foil after 45 min.) and bake for 1 1/2 hour or until the crust has turned a golden brown. Makes two 9" pies

Each pie makes about 8 servings and can be kept and reheated for up to about week in the fridge or frozen wrapped in a freezer bag. Enjoy them!

Join those with a nice bowl of spring greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a sprinkle of grated Reggiano/Asiago cheese and a good porter or stout, you'll have a meal fit for the gods. :ph34r:

Just a stupid question here Callenish....Is the beef and sausage cooked before adding into mixture?....I'm sorry for the naivite of this inquiry, I just never had made or even eaten this delicassy....Sounds great though, and I don't wanna screw it up....Thank Ye, Sir

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

It's raw like you'd put into meatloaf..........Mickey, I get it at my local supermarket ...you may be able to find in in one around you like Giant Eagle or Kroger

Callenish, I've checked the local Giant Eagles, Krogers, and other local grocery chains.... And all without any luck. I would imagine there is a local "English Food" importers, but I haven't looked for that yet, or stumbled across it. I think they had a booth at the local Irish festival last year, because I recall being most impressed they had a lot of English confections I am fond of... Too bad I was so busy obsessing over sweets to think to look for HP Sauce. :ph34r: Or maybe the booth was set up from an out of town store?

Michael_banner.jpg

It's raw like you'd put into meatloaf..........Mickey, I get it at my local supermarket ...you may be able to find in in one around you like Giant Eagle or Kroger

Why Thankee Sir.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I was raised on meat pies and have a scottish bakery in Brick NJ. You can get HP sauce in like a gallon size!

I'm cookin meat pies as we speak....I found HP on the internet in small quantities as well....I'm substituting sauces...Will let ye know how it tasted....

Scottish Meat Pies

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 cup shortening

* 1/2 cup water

Directions

Footnotes

PREHEAT OVEN to 375 F

Filling;

shred 2 lbs of potatoes

1 1/2 lb of ground beef

Join those with a nice bowl of spring greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a sprinkle of grated Reggiano/Asiago cheese and a good porter or stout, you'll have a meal fit for the gods. :rolleyes:

Just got through eating my First pie from your recipe.....me and the wife both had Bakers for Gran dars and I feel for two pies...double yer crust ingredients...turned out flakey and wow do we have ideas...I cubed the taters rather than shredded and I'm gonna add carrots maybe gravy, maybe peas,and cheese to the next one. The crust recipe is spot on...nice and flakey...Thank Ye Callenish...

Growing up we made them smaller about the size of Whopper that what was carried for lunches to school or out on the fishing boats, etc. When I have the time I make some that size now and freeze them to warm up later in the toaster oven; they are the right size to just pick up and eat since they come out solid and not runny.

(this is for one batch) that is for one double crust pie you do need to double it for the two pies. Sorry if I didn't make that as clear as I should have.

Growing up we made them smaller about the size of Whopper that what was carried for lunches to school or out on the fishing boats, etc. When I have the time I make some that size now and freeze them to warm up later in the toaster oven; they are the right size to just pick up and eat since they come out solid and not runny.

(this is for one batch) that is for one double crust pie you do need to double it for the two pies. Sorry if I didn't make that as clear as I should have.

I reread the instructions, and I think I just missed the note at the beginning....Not enough Rum in me I guess.....Anyhoo.....awesome pie.....