Do's and Don'ts when attending a Pyrate Event

Jib

2) DON'T ask questions about POTC or Capt Jack - trust me, you don't want to do this

Eye Second that! Jack Who? Oh You Mean Jack Sparrow #3007. He went thata way > unsure.gif (Over tha side)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) DON'T ask questions about POTC or Capt Jack - trust me, you don't want to do this

Eye Second that! Jack Who? Oh You Mean Jack Sparrow #3007. He went thata way > unsure.gif (Over tha side)

Oh...you mean Mr. Smith......yes, he went that way>

Yo Ho.......

Oh...you mean Mr. Smith......yes, he went that way>

I would be so bold as to say that this one isn't a must tongue.gif

There are plenty of us out there who loved those movies, and that character. I'd be willing to bet that even most those who are now sick of all the millions of Jack Sparrow impersonators started out rather liking the franchise. However, if it's clearly a period encampment, or a historical reenactment, without fantasy elements, then yes, by all means, avoid any Sparrow references like the plague!

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

[

There are plenty of us out there who loved those movies, and that character. I'd be willing to bet that even most those who are now sick of all the millions of Jack Sparrow impersonators started out rather liking the franchise. However, if it's clearly a period encampment, or a historical reenactment, without fantasy elements, then yes, by all means, avoid any Sparrow references like the plague!

Well, not to attempt to resurrect the deceased equine for continued flagellation, but that is rather a major part of the problem. As Red Sea said, people need to do a little research before attending an event and actually know what they are going to, what kind of an event it is. That sounds really good on paper (or screen). What we have though, is people who don't do the research, show up in the wrong kit, and don't feel uncomfortable and don't care.

Unfortunately, what has emerged over the last few years, since the great expansion in pirate reenacting, is the attitude "I'm a pirate, I don't have to follow any rules, and I don't care what anybody thinks". I've heard it too many times and everytime I do, it makes me cringe. It's a disservice to the whole community, and a slap in the face to those uf us who do this on a regular basis, not just for the occasional faire.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I did not start carrying a sword until I had some basic knowledge in it's use, and instruction as to wearing one safely. If your sword can easily be pulled from it's scabbard or sash or wherever it's being carried, then perhaps you should get a new scabbard or tie your sash tighter. If the event's rules are to peace tie, then peace tie I will, otherwise, I don't. I must add, however, that I haven't been to any large pirate gatherings, although I have attended many, many medieval re-enactments where it seems that everyone has a weapon of some sort and typically you can tell just by their body language if they know how to use what they're carrying. Oh, and a pet peeve of mine is letting your sword stick out at an almost or actual 90 degree angle at your side, thusly making life very uneasy and downright dangerous for those standing behind you or at your side as you turn quickly to reach for your rum. When I'm in a crowd or even amongst a few folks, I always make sure my sword is well behaved and heeled.

Edited by PearlyHawkinsHooke
Curvy.jpg

I did not start carrying a sword until I had some basic knowledge in it's use, and instruction as to wearing one safely. If your sword can easily be pulled from it's scabbard or sash or wherever it's being carried, then perhaps you should get a new scabbard or tie your sash tighter. If the event's rules are to peace tie, then peace tie I will, otherwise, I don't. I must add, however, that I haven't been to any large pirate gatherings, although I have attended many, many medieval re-enactments where it seems that everyone has a weapon of some sort and typically you can tell just by their body language if they know how to use what they're carrying. Oh, and a pet peeve of mine is letting your sword stick out at an almost or actual 90 degree angle at your side, thusly making life very uneasy and downright dangerous for those standing behind you or at your side as you turn quickly to reach for your rum. When I'm in a crowd or even amongst a few folks, I always make sure my sword is well behaved and heeled.

Agreed wholeheartedly with that last part. There's a good "DO" for ALL pirate events, and really any event where you're likely to carry a sword: always know where your sword is. I.E. keep it close by your side when you're in a crowded group setting, and don't whack people with it. It's just rude.

As for scabbards, some of them are simply made loose and come with the sword (a lot of "off the shelf" ones are like this), and many, even if they are tight-ish, will still spill out their contents if turned completely upside down. Which can happen if you're wearing it in a baldric and someone bowls bodily into you.

In regards to Jack Sparrow and Pirates of the Caribbean, or any movie pirates for that matter, I think the main thing is to know what kind of event you're going to. Is it a strictly historical reenactment? Is it a pirate free-for-all, with all manner of strange folk, belly-dancers, fire-eaters, steampunk airship captains, etc? Or does it have elements of both? If it has elements of both, be sure to know where the fantasy ends and the history begins, so you don't step on anyone's toes. Otherwise, I say, let the Disney pirate talk flow free!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

For Patrons ( the pay to enter kind)

1)DO read up a bit on what pirates were all about - easy enough on-line or at library

2)DO Feel free to ask relevant questions of re-enactors or other patrons in kit.

3)DO Go with the idea of learning something

4)DO Be open to hearing different types of music that you may not be familiar with.

5)DO bring lots of $$$, these events arent free

6)DO wear pirateyest garb, it will make you feel like part of the fun.

7)DO peace tie or otherwise comply with the events weapons policy

8) DO bring a soul catcher ( camera) there will be lots of opportunities

9) DO Drink a LOT of water, keep hyrdated

10 DO bring a sense of humor - pirates and sailors have a very rough, sometimes coarse idea of fun.

DONTS

1) DON'T expect to cross the rope into the encampment unless invited by someone in charge

3) DON'T over imbibe if alchohol is present - no one wants a sloppy pirate!

Glad ya mentioned it: Don't come aboard unless invited in.

Don't drink me rum lest I offer it.

If ye show up at mealtime; bring food

Please respect all our hard work

We don't respond well to Arrrrrrrrrr I prefer woubleuuuuuuuuu

Iffin' yer too big for a chair, sit on a trunk, I made em that way

Don't leave yer modern crap layin' around Iron Hand's camp,

at least in plain sight, I'm kinda wierd bout that.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Be prepared to be in your period shoes for at least 12 hours! Make sure they are comfortable!

Keep yo'r tankard handy at all times.

You do NOT have to always swagger about in a severely drunken "Jack Sparrow" style to show you are a pirate. There's a hundred other people pulling that trick. Don't need one more person with a bad Jack Sparrow imitation.

Above all... do NOT do anything STUPID! Meaning, something that will get you arrested at events.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Don't "walk" on other entertainers, musical group, living history educators. What I mean by this statement is if you see someone interacting with the public don't interrupt or attempt to out do the other performer. If you see a group doing some music don't start drunkenly braying or yelling across a field to a shipmate. We can be polite pirates.

I was interacting with a family about a year back. They had a mix of kids, some grade school and others middle school. My mates and I asked them if they wanted to join the crew. As an interactive bit we always carry a small chest of items for kids. We give out coins, shells, beads, and such to potential recruits. This is great for grade school kids but the older kids often think it isn't cool to want a shell or a bead. The older girls were more interested in the Jonas Brothers rather than attend a pirate event with the family. We almost had them convinced to take a piece of treasure when a another pirate crew showed up and interrupted. This secondary pirate crew was loudly boasting and attempting to steal the show by insulting us. The parents looked confused and the kids didn't know what to think. Rather than add to the conflict and chaos we just walked away. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Being a pirate doesn't mean being rude to attendees or fellow cast.

Don't "walk" on other entertainers, musical group, living history educators. What I mean by this statement is if you see someone interacting with the public don't interrupt or attempt to out do the other performer. If you see a group doing some music don't start drunkenly braying or yelling across a field to a shipmate. We can be polite pirates.

I was interacting with a family about a year back. They had a mix of kids, some grade school and others middle school. My mates and I asked them if they wanted to join the crew. As an interactive bit we always carry a small chest of items for kids. We give out coins, shells, beads, and such to potential recruits. This is great for grade school kids but the older kids often think it isn't cool to want a shell or a bead. The older girls were more interested in the Jonas Brothers rather than attend a pirate event with the family. We almost had them convinced to take a piece of treasure when a another pirate crew showed up and interrupted. This secondary pirate crew was loudly boasting and attempting to steal the show by insulting us. The parents looked confused and the kids didn't know what to think. Rather than add to the conflict and chaos we just walked away. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Being a pirate doesn't mean being rude to attendees or fellow cast.

Gah! Agreed wholeheartedly! I HATE that! People (both fellow performers and patrons) used to do that to me and other performers at the CO ren faire all the bloody time when we were trying to interact. There was no script of course, so their "ad libs" usually turned into a garbled mess, leaving the patrons confused and in some cases downright annoyed.

Which also brings up something I strongly believe about performers in particular: K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid (or in some cases, keep it stupid simple). "Simple" can also be replaced here with "short." Patrons usually don't have a long attention span - and who can blame them, with all the wonderful stuff going on at an event? When doing a "bit", it's always important to keep it short-ish, and what's more to the point, keep it... well... to the point. They don't care about your aunts-nephew's-cousin's-former-room-mate's-dog-who-bit-you-when-you-were-three-and-that's-how-you-got-this-scar (actually, that could be kinda' funny... but I digress). Make sure your bit has a concise point, and for the love of the great Flying Spaghetti Monster, make sure it has a definite ending, so patrons know when it's appropriate to walk away.

In short, don't do to patrons what I just did to this post tongue.gif

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm glad that someone else is bugged by peace tying. I can see it for Ren Fairs where anyone can walk in with a weapon but I can't see it for registered participants - especially at events where I can carry black powder weapons.

Mark

one of the midwest faires doesnt allow weapons of any kind, except repo guns. None, nada. and they will take them away from you. The reason? Someone drunk grabbed a knife off of someone's belt and cut the owner in the stomach. 5 seconds and their insurance took a huge hit. Even perfomers can only have weapons as needed. And you sign a big waiver if you do need them for a show. I dont agree with it 100% but I've seen enough crazy/drunk patrons to know crap happens. Took a whip from a 13 year old just before he hit someone with it, and just this weekend reprimanded 2 20-year olds for sword play on a sidewalk at a faire. seriously... sigh

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Similar to the event Merry is referring to PiP Key West, after the parade 2 years ago a few law enforcement officers stopped us and told us that we needed to remove the swords. There had been an incident where a drunk had taken an others sword or knife and stabbed someone. sigh Drunk people & swords don't mix.

Do interact with disabled persons! Kids in wheelchairs often just watch others at events. It can make a patrons day to have a pirate come up and ask them a few questions... "So mate where did ye bury the treasure?"

I'm glad that someone else is bugged by peace tying. I can see it for Ren Fairs where anyone can walk in with a weapon but I can't see it for registered participants - especially at events where I can carry black powder weapons.

Mark

one of the midwest faires doesnt allow weapons of any kind, except repo guns. None, nada. and they will take them away from you. The reason? Someone drunk grabbed a knife off of someone's belt and cut the owner in the stomach. 5 seconds and their insurance took a huge hit. Even perfomers can only have weapons as needed. And you sign a big waiver if you do need them for a show. I dont agree with it 100% but I've seen enough crazy/drunk patrons to know crap happens. Took a whip from a 13 year old just before he hit someone with it, and just this weekend reprimanded 2 20-year olds for sword play on a sidewalk at a faire. seriously... sigh

That's one of thereasons I refuse to sell whips or cat o nines. Only people with common sense should own them, and I haven't the time to give IQ tests.....

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Mark

That's one of thereasons I refuse to sell whips or cat o nines. Only people with common sense should own them, and I haven't the time to give IQ tests.....

Well that's really the problem with weapons in general. I mean, if there were a way to ensure that only the people who knew what they were doing and would be safe with them carried weapons there would be no need for peace tying or anything of that nature. Unfortunately, there is no way, and because of that I totally understand why some faires make you do it. Just because I won't do anything stupid with a blade doesn't mean someone else won't.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Similar to the event Merry is referring to PiP Key West, after the parade 2 years ago a few law enforcement officers stopped us and told us that we needed to remove the swords. There had been an incident where a drunk had taken an others sword or knife and stabbed someone. sigh Drunk people & swords don't mix.

A most excellent reason to party in camp with friends and not bother going out to the bars with drunk mundanes.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Just attitude and perception, I guess. Peace tying takes a weapon and turns it into a large, expensive piece of jewelry. I don't pay several hundred dollars for a sword and then remove it's purpose for existing by making it unuseable.

Hawkyns

I really have to agree with Hawkyns on this one. It's why I left the PDX festival at the gate last year. Not to mention they were using day-glo plastic ties! That, and that they were more concerned about my knives and ignorant of the long fowling piece and several pistols I was packing. I guess rondy-voo has ruined me for pyrate festivals. Good thing I still have my Canon to bring!

For th' "play/Fun" Faires, fill a good lookin' bottle(s) with iced tea (sweetened ter taste)... then ye can swagger around an' keep hydrated.... an' it looks better than a plastic bottle.... :P

I agree with Patrick on this. It's also fun, when security catches you while playing the drunken pyrate, to show them you have not been drinking at all, that's all an act, and that all you've had is iced tea. ;)

NEVER drink if your hired to do a job, cardinal rule number one. Plenty of time for that after the event.

Aye! to that! Hired or not, if you are here and reading this thread, you've probably got your shit together enough to stand out above the random patron and to be a de facto representative our community. Save the drinking for when you're among shipmates and the mundanes are long gone!

just my tuppence worth...

Oh! And just to clarify: I do not mean to suggest one ignore the regulations of any given event. I'd just rather not bother to bring an expensive, custom, period appropriate blade to an event that does not treat me as a human being mature enough to have and properly handle such. A lot of people responded to my response to the PDX festival with disbelief that I had not just cut off the peace-ties once I was inside. This seems to be a common practice. For the record: I do not condone this. It's their house, play by their rules or don't play there.

i work in construction and have to deal with safety ALL the time !! sometimes it can get outright ridiculous... we have usually policed ourselves and have not had too many instances... most of the rules and regulations are strictly insurance driven...rates and cancellations can be MAJOR problems for any contractor...

an event that requires peace tying cannot be looked upon as some kinda personal insult to the owner's proficiency or skill level but rather to the idiocy of others that are in attendance... even a minor incident can spell major headaches for the organizers regarding security and insurance rates... factor in political idiots on the city council that think a bunch of drunken maroons running around with guns (oh, my !! ) AND lethal edged weapons can be dangerous and unhealthy to the standards of the community to which they proudly serve, are willing to jump at any chance to get on television and advance their own careers...

not only do we police ourselves, we have to police others as well to insure future events will happen...

yes, the general public finds the pc pirate boring and would rather see jack sparrows running amok, but therein lies the problem educating the masses and possibly dissappointing them with the fact that pirates never wore eye patches and said "ARRRRGH"

i LOVE jack sparrows because he got me into this silly mess to begin with.. and glad he did !! but i also respect the organizer's wishes not to have them around and understand why...

you can most certainly control yourself, but have absolutely no control over the general public who may be an up and coming runner for the darwin awards...

just my 2 pence worth :)

A most excellent reason to party in camp with friends and not bother going out to the bars with drunk mundanes.

Hawkyns

Aye! We were actually walking to the vehicle that was to transport us back to the Fort. LOL

... most of the rules and regulations are strictly insurance driven...rates and cancellations can be MAJOR problems for any contractor...

an event that requires peace tying cannot be looked upon as some kinda personal insult to the owner's proficiency or skill level but rather to the idiocy of others that are in attendance... even a minor incident can spell major headaches for the organizers regarding security and insurance rates... factor in political idiots on the city council that think a bunch of drunken maroons running around with guns (oh, my !! ) AND lethal edged weapons can be dangerous and unhealthy to the standards of the community to which they proudly serve, are willing to jump at any chance to get on television and advance their own careers...

not only do we police ourselves, we have to police others as well to insure future events will happen...

you can most certainly control yourself, but have absolutely no control over the general public who may be an up and coming runner for the darwin awards...

:)

I agree completely with Silas on this issue. It's someone else's sandbox, so we have to play by their rules, or not play at all. The rules are not there to insult us, but because of paranoia about lawsuits and bad publicity, or in some cases legal issues about weapons in public. I didn't bring any weapons at all to the Fells Point event, out of respect for the rules, even though I considered the rules total nonsense

However, I have always objected to the term "Peace Tying". It almost seems they are trying to get it accepted as a historical concept to make it more palatable.

>>>> Cascabel

Unfortunately "Peace Tying" is a nessesary evil at events that require it...

Personally, if Eye know Eye am going to be in the thick of a throng of mundanes, say like an event like NorCal,

Eye will peace tie for their safety and mine. At PiP eye found it unnecessary because

though a public event, the majority of the People there were re-enactors themselves.

Peace tying has and was never a period correct thing to my knowledge.

It ain't somethin Eye like either however we live in a different world.

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

Unfortunately "Peace Tying" is a nessesary evil at events that require it...

Personally, if Eye know Eye am going to be in the thick of a throng of mundanes, say like an event like NorCal,

Eye will peace tie for their safety and mine. At PiP eye found it unnecessary because

though a public event, the majority of the People there were seasoned re-enactors themselves.

Peace tying has and was never a period correct thing to my knowledge.

It ain't somethin Eye like either however we live in a different world.

Noquarter2copy.jpg

bump

Noquarter2copy.jpg

hmmm, so since it isn't us, sticking each other, but drunk spectators grabbing something that doesn't belong to them in the first place... why are we allowing them to ruin our fun by allowing them to walk around polluted in the first place?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/