Do's and Don'ts when attending a Pyrate Event

Jib

Thought it might be nice to have topic that makes suggestions for attending a pirate event both as a performer and as patron. Anyone offer any advice based upon things they have experienced?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)Safety first!

2)Peace tie ye weapons ~

Eye have had drunkin patrons

try to pull my own weapons before..

It is a good rule.

3)Never Pull a sword on anyone

unless it is a rehearsed

act within a safe distance

from the public.

4)Never drink and handle weapons!

Get proper training from your mates who have experience

with black Powder and weapons. Never hand over your weapon

to a child! This may also apply to other adults who are not part of your group.

5) Obey all laws and regs set by State,local,and event

rules. Just because we are in a state of Piratitude,

Does not negate our obligations to the law or rules of an event.

6) Attend safety and battle meetings if your are participating in a battle.

7) By all means have fun!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Don't come as a Ninja tongue.gif

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Make sure you know and understand the scenario, standards and regulations of the event before you go. Nothing worse than showing up and finding out that your stuff won't pass muster, or that you are uncomfortable with the way they do things.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

i always try to bring extra to share, both food and drink... when offered a sample of food or drink, i try not to make a meal of it and deplete them of their wares...

i've loaned my pistol to trusted others...

eye summed up the safety aspect fairly well... gotta keep on top of that, because, one incident may spell the end of our fun...

I have aquired the title of "master of aquisitions" from quite a few events by always having plenty of snack food on hand to give away or "piratically" making food appear when needed. Ask cookie about how I got the tools he needed to feed all of us at the Hampton Festival last year....

2)Peace tie ye weapons ~

It is a good rule.

I'll disagree with that one. I don't peace tie my weapons and it bugs the hell out of me when I have to do it at those fairs where it is required. I think it it might be reasonable for new people or for people who only carry for show. On the other hand, weapons are what I do. I know where my sword and pistols are and who's near them. 30 years of carrying a sword on my hip, training with it, and teaching it give me the clue. And I never drink when carrying, so the "drunk in a bar' scenario doesn't apply.

I think the rule should be more like "know your weapons and your weapons capabilities". If you only carry occasionally, or have never trained, or tend to drink more than one or two, then peace tie or don't carry. If you take your weapons seriously, train with them as you would any martial art, and make them part of yourself, then peace tieing is unnecessary.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I often like to give out little trinkets to the kiddies but never give out candy. I was warned early on about the choking hazard of providing sweets to children. If I give the kids something that could fit in a tiny mouth (like a ring or a coin) I tell them not to put it in the mouth. Parents seem to like this approach.

If you've never attended an event in full garb before make sure to bring plenty of bottled water and sunscreen with you. It gets really hot dresed as a pirate during the spring and summer

For th' "play/Fun" Faires, fill a good lookin' bottle(s) with iced tea (sweetened ter taste)... then ye can swagger around an' keep hydrated.... an' it looks better than a plastic bottle.... :P

I'd second Eyes suggestion on peace tieing your weapons. (the Faire may already require that you do so anyway) At a reenactment, you most likely wont have a problem.... but at a Faire it's amazing how many pay-trons (patrons) get a few Ye Olde Ales in them, and will try to grabe at your weapons... Being "Ever vigilant", and knowing where your weapon is/are sounds good, ... But it only takes one Bozo who thinks he's Conan to ruin it.

I'd second Eyes suggestion on peace tieing your weapons. (the Faire may already require that you do so anyway) At a reenactment, you most likely wont have a problem.... but at a Faire it's amazing how many pay-trons (patrons) get a few Ye Olde Ales in them, and will try to grabe at your weapons... Being "Ever vigilant", and knowing where your weapon is/are sounds good, ... But it only takes one Bozo who thinks he's Conan to ruin it.

Just attitude and perception, I guess. Peace tying takes a weapon and turns it into a large, expensive piece of jewelry. I don't pay several hundred dollars for a sword and then remove it's purpose for existing by making it unuseable.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

If you've never attended an event in full garb before make sure to bring plenty of bottled water and sunscreen with you. It gets really hot dresed as a pirate during the spring and summer

As someone who's never re-enacted, I'm curious: why is this? Given that pirates had to live and work all day under a hot Caribbean or Red Sea sun as often as not, why would they wear very hot clothes?

As someone who's never re-enacted, I'm curious: why is this? Given that pirates had to live and work all day under a hot Caribbean or Red Sea sun as often as not, why would they wear very hot clothes?

Well, that question might be better suited to the "Captain's Twill" area, but it also applies here....

So my two cents worth.

It depends on what you are doing. If you are going for a more pirate themed event or festival... Then dress for comfort and to be showy.

But for more historical re-enactment, then it would be more advisable to wear your waistcoats/weskits and if the temperature warrants your sailor's coat. People throughout history have dressed inappropriately by modern standards for comfort. It is remarkable what societal pressures apply to cultures throughout the world at various points in history. Even today there are plenty of cultures around the world that mandate full coverage despite the local temperatures and heat. Make sense?

Michael_banner.jpg

1)Safety first!

2)Peace tie ye weapons ~

It is a good rule.

unless it is a rehearsed

from the public.

Eye, Shipmate! T'was said well and true. While all the while we 'ave our merriment, Lo t'would be for a mishap with said weapons. Be safe first and fun t'will follow.

As for dress in heat. When serving aboard the "Meka"II, in Battle my garb is Slops, belt and charge pouch. Small arms are handy and nearby and "Slowmatch" our Powder Monkey is always there when you turn to call him! With Charges!! Period footware is nothing, as hard sole shoes will be like walking on ice. It's the same with rope sandles. Traditionally, Sailors often made shoes out of old sail cloth as they had some "non-skid" to them. Other garments were more often "Shore Togs" and not worn aboard ship.

Edited by capn'rob

Tricky question but it goes mostly to the difference between perception and reality. You are correct, sailors working under the hot sun would strip to shirt and slops, or even just shirt. They'd likely be barefoot on deck and aloft, and have a single belt with only a short working knife. The problem with that is that it does not scream PYRATE!. Many pyrate types want to show off their clothing and kit, so they are wearing a ruffled shirt, fancy weskit, fancy breeches, boots, cocked hat, and weapons belt with sword, dagger, and a pistol or two. Add a gentleman's frock coat, frequently of modern (poyester or similar) material, and a few more odss and ends hanging from the belt, and you are encasing yourself in a lot of things that don't breathe or let you you breathe.

If the temp is over 80, I wear a thin linen shirt, linen slops, buckle shoes without hose, a belt with a short knife, silk scarf on my head, and a short cutlass on a baldric. More accurate, much more comfortable, but it does not have the 'pyrate panache' tha many are looking for.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

1)Safety first!

2)Peace tie ye weapons ~

It is a good rule.

unless it is a rehearsed

from the public.

Eye, Shipmate! T'was said well and true. While all the while we 'ave our merriment, Lo t'would be for a mishap with said weapons. Be safe first and fun t'will follow.

As for dress in heat. When serving aboard the "Meka"II, in Battle my garb is Slops, belt and charge pouch. Small arms are handy and nearby and "Slowmatch" our Powder Monkey is always there when you turn to call him! With Charges!! Period footware is nothing, as hard sole shoes will be like walking on ice. It's the same with rope sandles. Traditionally, Sailors often made shoes out of old sail cloth as they had some "non-skid" to them. Other garments were more often "Shore Togs" and not worn aboard ship.

Aye it only takes "one" to becalm an event. I have been weapons Marshall as well as black powder Marshall for several events and it is amazing who has weapons and shouldn't.

We need to police ourselves and watch each others back.

NEVER drink if your hired to do a job, cardinal rule number one. Plenty of time for that after the event.

Antonio Gumbatz, The Italian Pirate

Ships cook, Rum swizzler, Swordsman, Flirt.

www.babuccs.com

I am a member of the Black Powder Movement! A follower of Talcum X!

As Hawkins said, the attire I don when at battle station aboard the "Meka"II is not what I wear whence bound shoreside. Often I hear the comment, "You're quite well dressed for a Pirate!" My response is to quote the ever so bold, Braze, as he told me, "Steal only the finast of clothing!" That's what I wear ashore.

Edited by capn'rob

It be common courtesy, but pitch in and help the organizers when you see they need a hand. And keep a weather eye out for anything that they need to be aware of to make the event sail smooth.

In fact, I would go so far as to say picth in and help anyone at all when you see they need a hand. Of course, offer first. Some folks don't want help.

When it comes to peace tying, I generally don't do it (although I probably ought to do so more often), but I also know where my sword is at all times, and know how to use it. However, I HAVE had drunken assholes grab it before, both when peace-tied and when not, and I have to say, it's nice to know they can't get to it in those cases. Add to that the danger of someone merely running into you and causing your blade to fall out of its scabbard - also something that has happened to me - and I'd say peace-tying is really not a bad idea.

As for turning the sword into essentially an expensive piece of jewelry, well, isn't that really what all our costume pieces end up being? If you're not planning on actually using the sword, which I hope you're not (unless you're part of an act, etc.), there's really no need to be able to draw it in any kind of haste. Of course, there are people out there who feel that if you're not planning on actually using the sword, there's no reason to bring it at all, but I disagree with this. Swords are an important part of a pirate's kit in many cases, and they really help create an ambiance. An unarmed pirate is kind of like a car without wheels.

Still, I'm not a huge fan of thos annoying plastic zip-ties. What I usually do instead, when I actually remember, is to use a plain length of leather lace, usually double-wrapped, and tied tightly. This prevents any bozos from yanking your sword from the scabbard, or knocking it out, but also allows you to untie it and remove the blade in order to show it off, or when appropriate, weild it. It also looks a helluvalot more period correct.

And finally, in regards to hydration, I agree entirely with Patrick Hand! I always carry an interesting looking glass bottle with me to events, and if the glass is dark enough I fill it with water. But if it's clear, or light enough to really see through, I'll fill it with iced tea, maybe with some lemonade mixed in. It looks like rum, but it won't dehydrate you like alcohol. 'Sides, I say it takes a real genius to look like they're about to fall on their arse drunk, while not actually doing it. wink.gif

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

[

As for turning the sword into essentially an expensive piece of jewelry, well, isn't that really what all our costume pieces end up being? If you're not planning on actually using the sword, which I hope you're not (unless you're part of an act, etc.), there's really no need to be able to draw it in any kind of haste. Of course, there are people out there who feel that if you're not planning on actually using the sword, there's no reason to bring it at all, but I disagree with this.

Not to hijack the thread, and maybe this deserves a thread of it's own, but I'd like to answer. I'll agree that for many people, the sword and pistols are nothing but large, expensive jewelry. For some of us, however, they are more. I don't carry a weapon that I can't use, be it cutlass, rapier, pistol or blunderbuss. Swords shall be properly maintained, well scabbarded (so they won't fall out B) ) and properly sharpened. Firearms shall be clean, well fitted of flints, and capable of hitting their targets. Its a martial arts thing. Don't carry something you can't use or are not prepared to use. Not a case of planning to use it, but being able to use it in that .000001% chance that it might be needed.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Be respectful toward the Land Lubbers. Pirates may have been a bunch of outcasts, but try to maintain a common courtesy towards the "civilians". These events aren't just for our enjoyment, but the locals enjoy them too. And along those lines, we are part of the event. Some people travel many miles to see us. Have fun, act like a pirate, but know the limitations of good taste and courtesy.

D.B. Couper

It be common courtesy, but pitch in and help the organizers when you see they need a hand. And keep a weather eye out for anything that they need to be aware of to make the event sail smooth.

And finally, in regards to hydration, I agree entirely with Patrick Hand! I always carry an interesting looking glass bottle with me to events, and if the glass is dark enough I fill it with water. But if it's clear, or light enough to really see through, I'll fill it with iced tea, maybe with some lemonade mixed in. It looks like rum, but it won't dehydrate you like alcohol. 'Sides, I say it takes a real genius to look like they're about to fall on their arse drunk, while not actually doing it. wink.gif

Oh, and I want to ammend this statement to say, check if glass bottles are actually allowed at your event. In many cases they are not. In which case, there are several companies that sell period looking bottles, flasks, canteens, etc.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I am trying to think of what went through my mind when I was at my first event, this is what I have come up with.

Do not be afraid to attend an event if you don't have the correct garb. If it is your first event then you are just learning and proper garb can take time (for most of us.) besides, what is correct for me may not be for you.

Do not be insulted if you are asked to stay on the outside of the historic encampment. There are many reasons for this: Historical accuracy, security, safety and more.

Do let others know that you are interested in what they are doing. There are MANY spectators dressed and the reenactors at the event won't know a potential recruit if you don't let them know who you are.

2)Peace tie ye weapons ~

It is a good rule.

I'll disagree with that one. I don't peace tie my weapons and it bugs the hell out of me when I have to do it at those fairs where it is required. I think it it might be reasonable for new people or for people who only carry for show. On the other hand, weapons are what I do. I know where my sword and pistols are and who's near them. 30 years of carrying a sword on my hip, training with it, and teaching it give me the clue. And I never drink when carrying, so the "drunk in a bar' scenario doesn't apply.

I think the rule should be more like "know your weapons and your weapons capabilities". If you only carry occasionally, or have never trained, or tend to drink more than one or two, then peace tie or don't carry. If you take your weapons seriously, train with them as you would any martial art, and make them part of yourself, then peace tieing is unnecessary.

Hawkyns

I'm glad that someone else is bugged by peace tying. I can see it for Ren Fairs where anyone can walk in with a weapon but I can't see it for registered participants - especially at events where I can carry black powder weapons.

Mark

For Patrons ( the pay to enter kind)

1)DO read up a bit on what pirates were all about - easy enough on-line or at library

2)DO Feel free to ask relevant questions of re-enactors or other patrons in kit.

3)DO Go with the idea of learning something

4)DO Be open to hearing different types of music that you may not be familiar with.

5)DO bring lots of $$$, these events arent free

6)DO wear pirateyest garb, it will make you feel like part of the fun.

7)DO peace tie or otherwise comply with the events weapons policy

8) DO bring a soul catcher ( camera) there will be lots of opportunities

9) DO Drink a LOT of water, keep hyrdated

10 DO bring a sense of humor - pirates and sailors have a very rough, sometimes coarse idea of fun.

DONTS

1) DON'T expect to cross the rope into the encampment unless invited by someone in charge

2) DON'T ask questions about POTC or Capt Jack - trust me, you don't want to do this

3) DON'T over imbibe if alchohol is present - no one wants a sloppy pirate!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands