The Dog Watch aboard the C.W.Morgan

While on my New England visit I took in an afternoon at Mystic Seaport Museum. As always the feel of stepping back in time to a whaling Community two centuries ago is appearant everywhere. At 4pm, aboard the Whaling Bark "C.W.Morgan", they observe the first Dog Watch. My friend and "Bones" virtuoso extraordinaire, Tim Reilly and three other staff members were doing what sailors do during this "off time" when not eating. One young lady was making a ditty bag and the others were making music. No Shanties as there was no work being done but "Fo'c's'l tunes" or "forebitters". Songs for the crews enjoyment. I sang the "Amphratryte". My favorite forebitter as the tunes went 'round the circle. The only odd thing was that the "Morgan" is on the hard! She's out for a four year complete restoration, over a year into it.

To see the timbers being used for replacement was astonishing! I say this because I saw these Live Oaks on the ground in Fort Lauderdale after Hurricane Wilma. It was so sad as I'd seen them for the many years I'd lived nearby. When they were trucking them away I asked where they were going. When they told me Mystic Seaport my grief was lessened. These trees were becoming knees, futtocks and heavy scantlings. The Whalers were built so heavy as they were essentialy floating factories. The Sawmills and Shipsaws were quite impressive as well.