My current project

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1445262028/a=2687490028_2687490028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Couldn't get the pic to post here but I have started making my own coins now. There resin cast and each hand painted. The idea is to make enough to mix with other bits of treasure to make a "chest topper". It's a piece of wood that fits in the treasure chest like an insert with all this swag perminitly fixed to it to give the illusion of a full chest of plunder instead of having to fill it for real. It also prevents little fingers from grabbing a coin or two when your backs turned. I'll post pics of the finished project after I cast the other 200 coins.

Awesome! Have you thought about selling these perhaps? It'd be fairly easy to spraypaint a bunch and sell them by the bag. Dunno how much they'd run, but I've been looking for realistic dubloons that I can afford to just hand away to kids when I go a-pirating.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

http://www5.snapfish..._NAME=snapfish/

Couldn't get the pic to post here but I have started making my own coins now. There resin cast and each hand painted. The idea is to make enough to mix with other bits of treasure to make a "chest topper". It's a piece of wood that fits in the treasure chest like an insert with all this swag perminitly fixed to it to give the illusion of a full chest of plunder instead of having to fill it for real. It also prevents little fingers from grabbing a coin or two when your backs turned. I'll post pics of the finished project after I cast the other 200 coins.

They are looking very cool.

I did the same thing when I made my treasure chest. Just remember to try and make the top a little uneven so it looks like theres more underneath. I also cut loads of objects in half at angles to look like it was sticking out of the coins. By the way its a bitch to glue all those coins in I can tell you ha ha

100_0563.jpg

100_0567.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Awesome! Have you thought about selling these perhaps? It'd be fairly easy to spraypaint a bunch and sell them by the bag. Dunno how much they'd run, but I've been looking for realistic dubloons that I can afford to just hand away to kids when I go a-pirating.

They are only one sided though. The double sided casting was way to thick and difficult. Both sides are painted though so if you wanted them to hand out to kids I could make you a bag of em if you want.

Darn, that's too bad about only being one-sided, but I get how two sides could cause difficulties. Bah, I really shouldn't be going around looking to spend money on stuff like this when I can hardly afford to keep my car running, heh. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Darn, that's too bad about only being one-sided, but I get how two sides could cause difficulties. Bah, I really shouldn't be going around looking to spend money on stuff like this when I can hardly afford to keep my car running, heh. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

McCool- I just found the very thing on the Arrbay!

A plastic gold coin that looks exactly like Spanish doubloons- 8 reale size! A bag o' 72 for less than 5 bucks. They are hard t' come by- but I can send ya the seller!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

They are only one sided though. The double sided casting was way to thick and difficult. Both sides are painted though so if you wanted them to hand out to kids I could make you a bag of em if you want.

That might be cool- especially if ye could add yer pirate group contact info, or some kind o' sayin' on the blank side! D'ye think that is possible?

Or wait- what about this- paint the blank side black- and depending on the disposition o' the kid- ye could either reward them with some shine...

er gi 'em the BLACK SPOT!

hahar! PIRATE!

I might be interested inthat!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Gertie, I'd love the the info on the seller if you have it! I've got a few of those, and they pop on the old Bay of E now and again, but I rarely find them, and even more rarely for a good price (a giving away price).

-Captain Jack Sparrow