Pyrate Trading Cards V

Pew

Awh heck.... I was late sending mine in.... hadda a fun idea..... but just kept putting it off for just another night....

OK... yeah.. it was supose to be the begining of July..... but are any of us really in that much of a hurry?

SO we compromise....

From wot I understand only four people have sent thiers in.... so we give it another week.... if ye can get yer cards in by then cool.... if not, we just save them for the next round.

SO if ye wanna play, get off yer ass and get them done, and mailed..... (see Ransoms comments above )

If not... no sweat... maybe mext round.... but yer goinna miss out on th' other peoples cool cards....

so It's ye choice....

NOTE: Priority mail only cost about five bucks, and it will be there in about three days......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the original 10:

1 Pew

2 Michael

3 Gunpowder Gertie

4 Cap'n Mac

5 Ransom

6 Captain McCool

7 Adam Cyphers

8 Patrick Hand

9 Nigel

10 Karadimos

I've received:

1 Pew

2 Ransom

3 Cap'n Mac

4 Karadimos

5 Patrick Hand

If you will NOT be sending any artwork PM me and let me know. Oherwise the cards will be sent out Thursday (due to some stragglers begging for reprieves.) I will be out of town Thursday-> Monday.

If they are in my mailbox when I return, they will be returned to you.

Please include a SASE.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Okay, they're going out tomorrow, and I will overnight them. Only got one design done, and it's not up to my personal, exacting, perfectionistic standard, but if you'll still take it I say good enough.

You've got every right to be frustrated, and if I am allowed to participate in the next round (which at this point may not be the top on everyone's "good idea" list), this will NOT happen again. You've got my davy on it.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Okay, they're going out tomorrow, and I will overnight them. Only got one design done, and it's not up to my personal, exacting, perfectionistic standard, but if you'll still take it I say good enough.

You've got every right to be frustrated, and if I am allowed to participate in the next round (which at this point may not be the top on everyone's "good idea" list), this will NOT happen again. You've got my davy on it.

Aye- I was a bit too clever fer me own good, and bit off more than I could chew, as 'twere.

But- they're done now- and on the WAY!

I have learned that the summer is perhaps not the best time fer me to participate in such endeavours- and if I do, I must be much more simplistic in my approach!

All me apologies to those what I made wait..and to Pew, who was way too patient. Thankee sirrah!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Well, lovely news all. I must once again renege on absolutely everything. I was literally on my way to Kinkos to make copies so I could send the damnable cards out when my car apparently blew a head gasket. The rest of the day was spent with AAA, tow-truck drivers, and repair people. Suffice it to say, I did not get the cards copied let alone mailed out by the (new) deadline. So that's it. I officially give up. These things are cursed. Frankly, it's probably better that you don't get them, because God knows what terrors they would wreak on all of you.

Once again I'm extremely sorry, and I likely will not be participating in future rounds, for fear I'll end up pulling the same crap again. This is supposed to be fun, but I have managed to turn it into something of headache, for both myself and the other participants, and frankly I have no one but myself to blame. Sorry all.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I think at this point, no more exchanges will be done until event season is over...sometime around fall/Halloween. People are just too busy.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 2 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with this thread but I thought it fit better here than elsewhere.

It's a set of fifty trading cards from a British tobacco company from 1888. They are said to depict "famous/infamous pirates of the Spanish Main from the mid-17th to early 18th centuries."

007SirHenryMorgan1635-1688.jpg

Here's a few links to the original images -

1888 cards (1)

1888 cards (2)

Edited by Iron Jon

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

I've seen them on eBay for about $20-25 each.

Right now there's a set of 35 on auction for about $2,300!!! :rolleyes:

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

To all artists from this round:

I must write to explain my extreme displeasure with the goings on from this round.

The purpose of the PTC (Pirate Trading Card) exchange is to have a simple fun exchange of mini-art. This is not intended to be a 'one-upmanship' of skill or a long drawn out affair. The deadlines are posted for a reason. I did extend the deadline several times because of the small number of participants who did complete all ten cards. A smaller number would not merit the effort to go forth with the round overall.

As for the cards themselves: Just draw/paste/paint something on a 3" by 5" card and mail it out. Repeatedly, I asked to include a SASE or to include a few pieces-of-eight to cover the return mailing cost. Several of you still did not. While I can afford a few reales for each of the mailings (and if you use media mail, it is even cheaper), it is simply easier to just stick the cards in the SASE's and voila!; they are returned to you. Now it becomes a time intensive process of having to buy correct sized envelopes, have them weighed and stamped at the P.O. and then mailed out.

The purpose of using flat 3" by 5" cards is so that they do fit in a simple envelope. Anything larger and the mailing costs increase. While three dimensional art is very cool, it is not appropriate for this genre of PTC's. I know this was not explained in the beginning, and I apologize for not making that clear. It is supposed to be a quick easy turnaround of mini-art.

When you commit to a project here on the Pub, it is generally assumed that you will follow through with that commitment. Each person in this round created a piece of mini-art (and some were customized for each participant), with the expectation that they would receive in return that same amount that they have created. Each artist will now receive their unused works in return. When folks don't follow through with their end of the 'deal', then each artist has wasted their time and materials for nothing. If you commit to a project, especially when it involves time/money/effort, please commit to the end. Others are counting on you.

I understand life gets in the way and this round occurred in the swing of faire/fest/gathering season. If you feel that you cannot follow through, THEN DON'T COMMIT. That's fine. I'm sure we will have more of these PTC rounds in the future. Yes, shit happens in the midst of life. A simple, "I'm not going to be able to commit to this round," will suffice. Don't wait until days or weeks after the deadline to then say, "Can't do it." At this point, cards have been mailed out and we are waiting on 'you' to complete the round.

Thank you to all of those artists who did participate in this round. You all did a tremendous job and the cards turned out excellent! Thank you again and I hope to see more of your work in the future.

To all: I apologize for the terseness of this message. As adults, I hope we can move forward from this round and look forward to a fall/winter round as we are stuck inside our proverbial cabins.

Oh, one more thing . . . . they are going in the mail as soon as I receive a return address from one of the participants. Please post up when you receive your batch. Tx.

-P.E.W.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Got mine today. Love them. Patrick, you "crack" me up! And I think the Ransom card is amazing. I may use it as part of my sig.

Also, to all. I'm having internet problems, caused by a bad DSL box. Can't get a new one from the server until Wednesday or Thursday. It sucks, but there you are.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Anyone else?

nothing yet, but then I expect mine to take longer to deliver, seeing as I am outside of the US

The customs declaration form was postmarked August 26th, so it should be any day now.

Well I did receive me cards finally and I have ta say th’ few I got were very nice. I really wish more o you scaly wags had been able ta participate but alas twas clearly not meant ta be. That bein’ said here are the cards I recieved...

4986546265_6bf1fcea89.jpg

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

Oh nooooo, are you talking about my tusshie again! :P :P

Wait, no, I think it must be Debbie's tusshie. Yeah, that's it. :P

BTW, Patrick, I was showing off my Bombardier's Thunderbuss to visiting family last night. They were very impressed! B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg