Custom renn era sailor's garb for Ivan Henry

l_1b01c1fac74e4c06b921fcf5d1379af5.jpgl_1680c8a9db8c447bac0d85e8e055e75e.jpgl_b8c7c10871584b7a85e7e7a0832cb713.jpg

Custom Rennaisance era sailors breeches for Ivan Henry based on the period drawing below.

Navy linen with white wool tape embelishments. Adjustable waist and rough carved wodden buttons for the fly. The matching jerkin is in the works.

l_83f5eb0e29a44f4e9bea999533de4f49.jpg

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

l_1b01c1fac74e4c06b921fcf5d1379af5.jpgl_1680c8a9db8c447bac0d85e8e055e75e.jpgl_b8c7c10871584b7a85e7e7a0832cb713.jpg

Custom Rennaisance era sailors breeches for Ivan Henry based on the period drawing below.

Navy linen with white wool tape embelishments. Adjustable waist and rough carved wodden buttons for the fly. The matching jerkin is in the works.

l_83f5eb0e29a44f4e9bea999533de4f49.jpg

Look Great Liam..

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

looking good! if you dont mind, whats the source on the pic (and iff yee have any oootthheerreess on earlier sailors to share lololol......)

I'm not sure about the source... I may have seen it before but you're gonna have to ask Dana... he supplied the pic

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

looking good! if you dont mind, whats the source on the pic (and iff yee have any oootthheerreess on earlier sailors to share lololol......)

This is something I wanted for Drake's Raid (1586) -thought it was very interesting.

The drawing is of various sailors and officers from 1581. From Milia Davenport's Book of Costume.

Book of Costume

My kit Liam is making is based on drawing 1117. Check out how the piping on the Jerkin and the Slops mate up in a cohesive design. Pretty darn cool. IOh - and can't wait to see the Jerkin - and wear the kit! Nice work Liam!

I am wondering what the hell 1117 is carrying - looks like a giant French Tickler or something....

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

I suspect (but can't confirm) that the original drawing that 117 is based on was by Theodore de Bry, a Dutch artist working in the 1590s - it just looks like his style.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I am wondering what the hell 1117 is carrying - looks like a giant French Tickler or something....

It's obviously a giant shoe horn... for whom I don't know... maybe Gulliver

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

It's obviously a giant shoe horn... for whom I don't know... maybe Gulliver

Ask M. Bagley - I think it might be a hockey stick (he's Canadian, he'll know) - I am sticking with Giant French Tickler - always comes in handy once you hit port....

ihtcbanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just received everything last night - Very nice job by Liam! I imagine that most people will think I am a 1920s era beach goer /swimmer but hey - I have documentation! :P

I find that a general lack of knowledge (at least on my part) of clothing from the 1500s makes correct clothing look kind of silly to most. I mean, look at 1120 in the drawing above... By the way it looks like he is carrying a rapier with a long blade which is kind of against the grain of what I have read. I thought sailors and military frowned on the long blade rapier and thought is was sissy - perhaps 1120 is French....

I do think 1121 just may be Mad Dogge's long lost great great great grandfather....

And 1119 just may be Patrick Hand's time traveling twin.....

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg