Kerchief under your hat?

Korisios

I have been looking at period drawings and such trying to find any reverense for wearing a head wrap of any sort under a hat, but up to now couldn't find it. I am about to asumb that that's another Hollywood invention...

Am im right? unsure.gif

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

From what I understand it's a very Howard Pyle/N.C. Wyeth thing. Personally, I like it because it helps with sweat. That doesn't mean it was done in the period though.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

In my exhaustive research of 2 mins looking at my fav website of period paintings:

1730's Painting:

There appears to be something worn under the hat, what I do not know. Check out the hat itself!

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/ViewLargeImage.cfm?ID=BHC3128

I just had to include this. Ignore the people look at the lower right with the wig on the DOG!

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/ViewLargeImage.cfm?ID=BHC2720

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

It was done in period, fellows ...unfortunately I'm not on my computer where I have some period images that show the practice.

And yes McCool it was done for that very reason plus some jobs during the course of one's day required removal of your hat but they wanted to keep their heads covered. It is desribed in several military records and personal inventories

I have been looking at period drawings and such trying to find any reverense for wearing a head wrap of any sort under a hat, but up to now couldn't find it. I am about to asumb that that's another Hollywood invention...

Am im right? unsure.gif

Great question! I have to say that when i read it, I was certain i had some form of pictorial period reference for this - well, I was wrong. I can't find anything n my reference material showing scarfs on heads and or under a hat.

Now, I am fairly certain that there is some written account. I vaguely remember a quote or two in "Under The Black Flag" about scarfs worn on heads - and sashes. I loaned my copy to Boo Gator, so I can't check that... Anyone have a copy and aware of any period quote referencing this?

ihtcbanner.jpg

This has been discussed here before and there were images of commoners wearing the headscarves under their hats but I can't find them just now.... I'll keep looking

FOUND IT -SCROLL Down for PICS

Thanks Callenish, I was looking for that earlier to post it... But I didn't have as good of luck as you did in finding it. I think there are a few other images of the kerchief being worn on the head out there as well (but I am having a complete brain fart day and can't remember anything for certain). But on the whole, based on the body of available images, it is reasonable to say it was done, perhaps not commonly, but it was done. I think for those who do later time frames (and correct me if I am incorrect here), but I think the practice was more common during and after the F&IW period (I'm thinking French Milice here).

Michael_banner.jpg