Pirate Concept Art

Those pictures are great. I did a Degree in Animation a few years back and they are easily as good, if not better then any work produced by the class i was in. Which university are you planning on going too?

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

;) well my life drawing teacher said to me recently that it was good to teach a student that genuinely enjoys drawing for a change ;) im glad it shows in my work :) Funny enough im studying concept art for games and films at University when i start there in september. Ill get taught how to take my traditional skills digitally there, i didnt want to give the impression that im some fine arts student ;o I just progressed through trial and error, self teaching the mechanics of shading, anatomny etc ;) with guidence from teachers along the way. Ive only started getting feedback online this year and its made a big impact on my ability so far B)! so thanks again

It's obvious you have some real skill. In University your feedback will not always be as gentle as <ahem> it is here. It's good you are willing to listen. Stories abound of people working in animation being told their work is "crap" by their bosses.So- don't take it personally, and take the criticism as it is given- all in the name of making you a better artist.

Now-

to work on your posing!

Your posing so far is a bit static. Try - for your next drawing - to make it more dynamic. Not facing square to the viewer- but either a three quarter pose, with some movement. If these drawings are going into your portfolio- this would be the perfect kind of drawing to attempt!

yeah defiantly, gonna try a mid combat pose for my next sketch ;D! sad story gertie ;) such a great shame. I hope I make it to the point were i get paid to do what i love doing, whilst listening to Boney M .

Im going to hertfordshire university :) was my first interview and i got offered a place on the day! i was so chuffed B)! since it was my best option i didnt go to all of interviews only 2/4 ;)

Edited by Lieutenant Alex

;) well my life drawing teacher said to me recently that it was good to teach a student that genuinely enjoys drawing for a change ;) im glad it shows in my work :) Funny enough im studying concept art for games and films at University when i start there in september. Ill get taught how to take my traditional skills digitally there, i didnt want to give the impression that im some fine arts student ;o I just progressed through trial and error, self teaching the mechanics of shading, anatomny etc ;) with guidence from teachers along the way. Ive only started getting feedback online this year and its made a big impact on my ability so far B)! so thanks again

It's obvious you have some real skill. In University your feedback will not always be as gentle as <ahem> it is here. It's good you are willing to listen. Stories abound of people working in animation being told their work is "crap" by their bosses.So- don't take it personally, and take the criticism as it is given- all in the name of making you a better artist.

Now-

to work on your posing!

Your posing so far is a bit static. Try - for your next drawing - to make it more dynamic. Not facing square to the viewer- but either a three quarter pose, with some movement. If these drawings are going into your portfolio- this would be the perfect kind of drawing to attempt!

yeah defiantly, gonna try a mid combat pose for my next sketch ;D! sad story gertie ;) such a great shame. I hope I make it to the point were i get paid to do what i love doing, whilst listening to Boney M .

Im going to hertfordshire university :) was my first interview and i got offered a place on the day! i was so chuffed B)! since it was my best option i didnt go to all of interviews only 2/4 ;)

So- do you still have to show a portfolio? If so- work your arse off- remember- you get back what you put into this kind of program.

Greatest piece of advice I ever got was from one of my animation instructors.

DO WHAT'S NECESSARY.If that means driving all night to get to a animation festival to show your portfolio to a prospective employer- sleeping in the van for a couple of hours, getting cleaned up in an A & W washroom..and then throwing that portfolio down on the sidewalk, opening it, and tweaking the contents, adding some and removing others, and then running to the venue just before it opened. Then you DO IT. JUST DO IT.

(which I have done - and yes I did get the job)

But if you are still making a portfolio to show- work on some great stuff now- and the best you have- may be the stuff you produce now, and may replace some of your older stuff. You have lots of potential- and you are still young. Become a sponge. Soak up all the info and advice you can. I'm assuming you will be working with professionals, and these contacts can help you so much. And- I am also assuming that at the end, industry professionals will be invited to take a look. This is the most exciting time. Just do what's necessary- and you'll be all right.

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Haha, that's a fantastic story, Gertie! And damn good advice, to boot!

And Mr. Lieutenant, sir, I have to say, I think it's brilliant that your post has encouraged a bunch of us to throw our own drawings up here in our galleries. Check out the latest gallery posts on the front page. You've started an avalanche of art! Kudos!

My biggest problem with doing something like this as a career, or pursuing it really seriously in school is that I can never seem to keep deadlines. I tend to work on inspiration alone, which is something I just can't force or fake. In the end what I really need to work on is my discipline.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

haha i was looking at them earlier thinking ;O oh snap was i meant to post my work there and not on the forums ;)! im totally surprised to have a impact on the forum as small as it may be, and yeah a lot of the drawings are pretty damn good, id be proud to claim them as my own work XD. yeah i have a portfolio btw gertie :P its what got me in wit ease :) I need to learn to drive before i can take such a bold commitment though ;f going london this saturday with my family to look at the maratime muesum and the golden hinde for this project :P!

well last term i didnt finish one of my projects, i had the idea to try create a prehistoric game and i had to design everything but i just kinda gave up on the idea when it came to designing. I only draw my best when i love the idea or have a great sense of direction with my project :) Atm i just love the pirate gear, i love the flintlocks and tricorne hats and sea boots(despite its authenticity ;)) in pirate garb. I dont know why but I really want a tricorne hat XD im just in love with pirate costume atm :P helps with my designs :)

haha i was looking at them earlier thinking ;O oh snap was i meant to post my work there and not on the forums ;)! im totally surprised to have a impact on the forum as small as it may be, and yeah a lot of the drawings are pretty damn good, id be proud to claim them as my own work XD. yeah i have a portfolio btw gertie :P its what got me in wit ease :) I need to learn to drive before i can take such a bold commitment though ;f going london this saturday with my family to look at the maratime muesum and the golden hinde for this project :P!

well last term i didnt finish one of my projects, i had the idea to try create a prehistoric game and i had to design everything but i just kinda gave up on the idea when it came to designing. I only draw my best when i love the idea or have a great sense of direction with my project :) Atm i just love the pirate gear, i love the flintlocks and tricorne hats and sea boots(despite its authenticity ;)) in pirate garb. I dont know why but I really want a tricorne hat XD im just in love with pirate costume atm :P helps with my designs :)

Well- that is one thing you have to get over, and that is only drawing your best when you are jazzed about the idea- when drawing professionally, you have to draw what you are paid to draw, even if you are not as happy about the project, because often you don't have control over which character/project you are assigned to. You have to find a way to be the best you can be.

But when you get on a project you love..and believe in - it's awesome. I even took exceptionally low wages and went clear across the country one time to work on a project. And- although the employer knew we were there because we believed so hard in the project, and essentially ttreated us shamefully- it is still one of the best projects I worked on- because of the people I worked with.

It sounds like the next step is to find a pirate group close by and get yerself into garb! THEN you'd have a tricorne fer sure! Haharrrrrr!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

LOL Yeah, I caved, and had to throw something up there. Been a while, but I'm getting back into drawing. Was doing mostly collage lately, which I like, and is a bit liberating from line work.

From my school days, I remember anatomy being one of the most eye-opening lessons. You can't draw a body really well until you understand anatomy, even if all your doing is cartoons (not saying you are, just trying to make a point) Gertie has given you great advice, and you obviously have talent, so learn as much as you can. And don't stop learning. There are always new techniques to try, materials to use, and let's not forget computer graphics. I really wish I knew more about how to work stuff in photoshop, since the possibilities are endless, but like anything, ya gotta have the basics down first. So draw away! Drawing is the baseline, and has always been my favorite. :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

yeah i am :P taken Gertie advice on m static poses done a few sketches to experiment before hand

10 sketches per page planning on doing more through out my development book

got the lay out from this sketch for bugs bunnys first cartoon in 1940s a wild hare

Perfect. Model sheets are definitely great ways to advance your posing. Learn from the professionals. These guys were awesome.

Also- another exercise you can do is-

quick sketches.

I made a tape- oh yeah- you probably don't remember tapes do ya?- <sigh> Anyway- make a CD or an MP3 that is just silence, with a sound of some kind- beep, something not too annoying- at 60 second intervals. Make it about a half an hour long. Listen to this while you draw.

THEN- draw a pose- you have 1 minute. Then you have to draw another pose, and then another. Eventually you will stop "thinking" about the posing- and it will become second nature. It will take a while. It is VERY difficult at first- but it will really help you with your posing. Make the poses dynamic too- no cheating. And really- start with the line of action, and then base your drawing around that line. Aids in posing, and fluidity of motion.

Watch the feet though- superb construction of arms/torso/abdominal area. Feet and legs- meh. Remember as feet contact the ground, they are not straight across. The overlap the ground to some extant. don't forget ankles- legs have 'em and they need to part of your structure.:P

Make every part of your drawing as strong as the other parts. I mean- look at the Bugs' feet- volume, structure- all there. Look at the feet and legs of your drawing- very simple in comparison to the rest of your drawing. I know I am hammering this point at you- but- every part of your drawing must be STRONG. Also- another way to strengthen the feet position- is draw a light perspective grid where the feet would go- then you will know how to pose the feet, and what angle they have to follow..

Here is a ruff model sheet I made for a personal project- these poses are all from the 60 second posing exercises I told you about.

Strong line of action, balance, and silhouette. Yet very simple.Silhouette is very important too- the best poses can be coloured in with black ink- and you can still tell what the character is doing.. Sorry- I know this isn't piratey- but it's all I have to show you...

caryBooposes1.jpg

And - bear with me - one more:

elephantstudies.jpg

See how I just made studies of feet and legs? And made a point of drawing the feet and legs in the act of being unbalanced- as they step from one pose to another?And- if you look closely at the more rendered elephant, you can see where I placed the grid lines, so that all the legs are solidly placed, in perspective.Also- notice the line of action in the elephant shaking it's head- learn to putdown a quick line to indicate the direction of your pose, and it will make your drawing more fluid. Continue to work loose..light underdrawings, like you are sculpting the drawing with your pencil- lots of light loose lines to establish your movement, then go in with your pencil to carve the detail, and volume.

I know we've strayed a bit from the pirate theme here, and I apologise, mods please bear with me.. but it's all I have here to illustrate my point.

We'll continue with the pirate drawings from here...right Lt. Alex??:P

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Gertie is dead on about the quick sketches. Back in my Life Drawing classes, we worked from a real model, who at first changed poses every 30 seconds. All we had time for was the barest "feeling" of the pose, before they would change to a new one. We did them in charcoal or soft pencil. I have sketchbooks full of nothing but hundreds of gesture drawings I did back then. When the instructor changed the time to a minute, it felt like you had all the time in the world! LOL

If you have family members who would pose for you, that would be great. Those gesture drawings are vital for eye/hand coordination, and getting down the "movement" of the pose, since you don't have time to think. They are also very liberating if you find yourself getting "tied up" over a drawing, or staring at a blank page wondering what to do.

Gertie, sounds like when we meet at NorCal, we can talk a little art shop. :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Eye really can't draw very well but I do get the humor and action across.. I actually have a step by step sketch book..I just wish I would remember that when Eye get bored..

unfriendlyadvance0002copy.jpg

How ever I have learned to use photoshop and have made a few good pictures... Good Luck LT. Alex..it takes a real commitment to get really good at this... unless ye a natural at it..

crowsnestlanterncopi.jpg

ThePursuitofMahve.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

The elephant drawings were gestures- light line drawings concerned with line of action, with minimal shading, sketches taking a minimal amount of time. These ones were conte crayon- quick light line of action, using the tip of the crayon, then quick bar shading using the side of the crayon. When you are on your game it is literally "construction ball for head and volume, line, line, shade, shade, done". That amount of time. Literal. Start out with wire sculpture type drawings, no shading, no detail, As you get better progress to more detail. Simple..it's amazing what you can put down in a line...really! Having your friends and family pose is good- but it's still giving you lots of time to deal with the outside line..the details. Gestures are too fast for that, and you must draw from the inside of the figure out. It's to train your eye as to what's important in movement, and what is important to capture in your drawing.

The quick sketches are actually different- the purposes behind that is to improve posing, and that is your focus. Structural drawings with underlying construction and line of action.

Take your sketchbook with you to parks/food courts/airports. Draw people around you.

Gestures..people are moving too fast for exceptionally detailed work, but you can still find emotion, mood and balance. and line of action. Oh- did I say that before???;)

Ransom- we will certainly have much to talk about. Can't wait!

and Eye- yer photoshop renderin' be witty and funny..yer a character yerself, sirrah!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Oops, guess I wasn't being too clear on the getting the family to pose thing. What I should have said was, get someone in your family to do the quick poses for you, so you can work from a real person. It really helps you see weight, angle, line, etc.

But you know, after all this talk and instruction, which is good, don't get too hamstrung worrying about stuff. Just draw. Draw because it's fun, and you love it. Over time, your eye will learn to see, and your hand will learn to put it down on paper. ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Oops, guess I wasn't being too clear on the getting the family to pose thing. What I should have said was, get someone in your family to do the quick poses for you, so you can work from a real person. It really helps you see weight, angle, line, etc.

But you know, after all this talk and instruction, which is good, don't get too hamstrung worrying about stuff. Just draw. Draw because it's fun, and you love it. Over time, your eye will learn to see, and your hand will learn to put it down on paper. ;)

Truer words were never spoken!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I really like the painted image. The coloring and shading is rather good. I agree with the others that your artwork is good and improving. A body in motion is THE hardest to really understand. Been drawing such since I was 4 yrs old and the body - animal or human - STILL gives me grief! :) But, a constant study of people, photos of people, etc, even an articulate wood statue for art students help.

Keep at it, lad. Love to see more of what ye got! Especially since I've seen quite a bit of concept art by various artists, most ametuer, a few pros. Keep at it! Love the Pirates.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Mate, I thinks yer artwork is fantastic! That digital painting is awesome. I'd be proud ta hang that in me parlor. (Even prouder iffin' it was a paintin o' me!)

Edited by CaptainB

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

• 1 year later...