PLUNDER...

adam  cyphers

Picked up one of those lifesize climbing pirate statues, the ones that are always a thousand bucks, for $275. But the better part was I told a client who wanted one for her event that I had located one that could be rented... for $275. So, it was free, thanks to charging the client for it. Love it when things work out like that.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I found a couple of awesome ship plates from Franklin Mint, limited editions at a thrift store for two dollars each.

I have four ship plates from the Danbury Mint, rare finds, got the four for twenty-one dollars from a thrift store a few years back.

I LOVE THRIFT STORES! You find the best stuff in them!!! :D

A member of the host crew found a knife on the top of the trash, we told him it wasn't ours but I said if he didn't find the owner I could use a knife, he gave me the knife.

I traded drawings for needed items. Poles for the "Hide". Sword belt & cartridge box. Looking to do more.

Was given pewter goblets & tankards (not PC but usable after hours) for "The Hide" by sever friends.

Very Valuable assistance with numerous pieces of garb. (thanks Lily & Cap)

I am sure I am forgetting some things, I'll let you know what more If I think of them.

One day, while working at an 18th century site, a knock came at the door. It was a gentleman cleaning out his mother's house, and he wondered if we wanted any of the things he had found. The curator couldn't be bothered, said no and left for lunch. I stopped the man in the parking lot and asked what he had. He gave me five 18th century English hallmarked pewter plates, a large 18th c. pewter serving dish and an 1878 Springfield rifle. Yoiks!

God bless that stupid curator! My sideboard groans beneath the weight of her foolishness.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

There are some things I can't admit to getting on the grounds that I could incriminate myself but there are a few things that have made me smile over the years. A man enjoyed my show in Ocracoke so much that he gave me a 18th century hunting knife in exchange for a picture with Blackbeard. I got a free hotel room in Baltimore once while on a pirate gig by agreeing to entertain the hotel bar guest for free. Found four really old (1850-70's) hunting knives in my grandfathers attic that he let me keep. I have a bodice from the Gold Coast Pirate Festival that belongs to, oh wait, better not mention her name. And of course there's the Hampton Festival in 2001 when I hijacked John Glasses yacht and his wife gave us a bottle of rum for keeping her and her friends entertained on a tour of the James River. Really wish she would have answered her cell phone though since he didn't know we had taken her "hostage". laughs about it now but wasn't too happy when we got back into port....