HandGonne

Just wondering if anyone out there makes a Handgonne.. Also, would a serpentine model (later handgonne) have been used at Drake's Raid 1586? I am thinking that at that point, a functional serpentine handgonne might have still seen some limited use - why through away a good (if not goofy) early matchlock?

therionarms_s011_graywolf075.jpg

My initial research says they were in use in the 16th century - any insight or makers?

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

The handgonne was a 14th/15th century weapon. By the end of the Hundred Years War or the War of the Roses, say about 1480, the serpent had appeared. At first just an 'S' shaped bar screwed to the side of the stock, by the early 16th century it had become a proper lock with internal workings. At that point it was no longer called a handgonne, but was being called an arquebus in most references. Considering the crude manufacture of these weapons, I would find it highly unlikely that a hnadgonne would still be in use. An arquebus possibly, but most likely one with a proper lock. The had all the basics of a regular matchlock musket, but the shape had not yet assumed what we would think of as musket shape. The flair of the stock where it hits the shoulder was a development of the mid 16th century.

the earlier arquebus was more of a lengthened crossbow type stock with a thickened but not overly flaired shuolder piece.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The handgonne was a 14th/15th century weapon. By the end of the Hundred Years War or the War of the Roses, say about 1480, the serpent had appeared. At first just an 'S' shaped bar screwed to the side of the stock, by the early 16th century it had become a proper lock with internal workings. At that point it was no longer called a handgonne, but was being called an arquebus in most references. Considering the crude manufacture of these weapons, I would find it highly unlikely that a hnadgonne would still be in use. An arquebus possibly, but most likely one with a proper lock. The had all the basics of a regular matchlock musket, but the shape had not yet assumed what we would think of as musket shape. The flair of the stock where it hits the shoulder was a development of the mid 16th century.

the earlier arquebus was more of a lengthened crossbow type stock with a thickened but not overly flaired shuolder piece.

Hawkyns

By the time the serpent appeared, the barrel was longer, too. It was no longer a pistol-sized barrel on a stick. It was still shorter than a musket but it was getting there.

By the Drake's raid they were using real matchlocks with the serpent coming back instead of forward. That allowed a bigger flash guard and a spring to pull the serpent back.

Mark