Female Pirates

Billie Bonnie

Ha ha ha! We can do book signings together. :P I'll bet that will get you more than a little media attention. A good thing for a writer.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should write an annotated version of Johnson's work, refuting all the things you know are wrong with sources.

Working on it... not only all the things we know are wrong, but also all the things we know are right, and most importantly, where "Johnson" got his information.

Current estimated completion date: 2020.

So pretty soon :P

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Thanks, guys!

And with this kind of clothing hiding sex would not be impossible http://www.clipart.d...e_pirate001.jpg

There is typical sailors clothing (None sash is not very accurate).

The sailors' clothes were loose, easy to disguise a well binded chest... As long as she took care to not be seen by anybody naked... Including going to the head when nobody was around... It worked.

So as long as she wasn't built like Dolly Parton, it could work as far as the clothes go.

I don't know how much scandal was really caused by Bonny and Read. They were notable at the time, certainly, but they weren't disguised in the sense that they didn't hide the fact they were women, they simply wore men's clothes from time to time for practical reasons - as other women also did without creating uproar. It was notable because it was unusual, but not scandalous. Even women who did actually disguise themselves as men were usually either treated as a bit of a 15 minute celebrity or just ignored.

Does this mean she'd simply be treated as a woman with poor taste in clothes? So much for her hopes that wearing men's clothes would keep the men's hands to themselves. Groin punches will definitely be in order.

Most of todays "extremely" active sports atheletes say that their body actually stops menstrurating ...or will go several monthes anyway....while in heavey training....and ships life would be just as ...ah....athletic...

So that would be a good method of detection for about a month or so after she joins a crew.

BTW why those other gaop ladies are discriminated... there are not in any book or etc

Ah well, Anne Bonny and Mary Read got in Johnson's book, Martha Farley and Maria Critchett missed the boat on that one...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 1 year later...

This isn't exactly where this belongs but I couldn't find a better topic for it so I'm throwing it in here. I was looking for a quote in John Woodall's book the surgions mate and I happened across this:

"Hee that intendeth any part of this composition ['The juyce of Hioscyami, or Henbane with the extract of Opium mingled'] for women, must forbeare the muske and ambergrece, and use with it rather foure graines of good castroium, I meane in that one dose he intends to give the women; but in this I digresse from my scope of the Sea-practise, where women in long voyages are rare creatures." (Woodall, p. 229)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG