Pattern Welded French Hanger

1stMate Matt

This is a recent custom that is available through Legacy Forge at the Scarborough Ren Fest in Texas.

The blade is 29 layers and clamshell/thumbring is 13 layers I think.

The handle is antler. The hilt is iron. The buttcap is wrought iron and the pommel nut is also iron.

All the pieces were hand forged to shape.

We are already making the next in this series. The damascus clamshell has quickly become a favorite.

frenchhanger1b.png

For more pictures please visit http://baltimoreknife.com/frenchhanger.htm

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Wow. That's definitely one of my very favorite cutlasses I've seen from you, Matt. Maybe even #1 favorite. Are there any pictures of the full piece that show off the shape of the blade?

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Sure there are pictures on my website that show the blade shape. You can also check out the build thread that I did on the piece over at the bladesmith forum. http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=15833&st=0

Thanks for looking! This was a favorite of mine too.

thatworks.shop

Dude! That is simply FANTASTIC! :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I looked at the step by step process... egads... I'm lucky my keyboard still works with this much drool on it... Seriously, I think this is my favorite piece I've ever seen from your company. Now if only I could have some rich old uncle die and leave me his entire fortune...

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Amazing work mate. I was working on the cuttoe I am making just now and managed to take the skin off me knuckle so thought i better call it a night. I have to attempt the spiral handle carving at some point which I am not looking forward too.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 1 month later...

Holy @$#&! I got to HOLD it!

I stopped by Legacy Forge at the Colorado Renaissance Festival this past weekend, just to see what new BKS stuff they'd gotten, and there it was! All I can really say is: swordgasm!

Truly Matt, this may be your best piece yet. At first it seemed a little awkward in the hand, but then I slipped my thumb through the ring, and it all came together. That thing handles amazingly. It's light enough to be wicked quick, but it's got enough weight behind it to really do some damage. And the pattern welded blade is to die for! Not even mentioning the exquisite pattern welded clamshell! I'm in love! Sadly, I'm also broke, and I don't believe in pulling a "real pirate" and just lifting the thing tongue.gif . Plus, them guys at Legacy Forge can run. And they have throwing axes. I probably wouldn't get far.

While I was there, I also got to hold a beautiful hanger that I had never seen before, and that I really fell in love with. Actually, I think this time my girlfriend was drooling more than I was, as the thing just fit her perfectly. It was a basic hanger blade with a nice swept and cutout knuckle bow. But the hilt was really the greatest part. It was half-and-half Purpleheart and antler, with the purpleheart near the guard and the antler near the pommel. These were separated by thin brass bands. And the pommel itself was a very nice, simple-yet-elegant shape, which I believe I would describe as a pointed acorn. LOVE this sword. They were selling it for a lot less than I expected, too, what with all that extra detail put into it.

Still, neither Sarah nor I have the money for such a piece of beauty. However, I understand that you are occasionally willing to make trades for at least part of the payment on a sword. So: if we wanted to get one exactly like the one we saw at Legacy (do you remember the sword I'm talking about?), would you be willing to work out some kind of trade for at least partial payment? I have no idea what services I could render to you, being something of a "pirate who has everything," heh, but I'm sure we can work out something.... wink.gif

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 3 weeks later...

You mean this lil didy?

purplesaber1d.JPG

purplesaber1b.JPG

Loved this one!

Its now on the website!

I actually saw this blade up close at Fell's Point...what a BEAUTY she is! I love the grip! This would be a fine weapon for any sea captain!

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I DO mean that little didy, as a matter of fact! That thing is beautiful! Any way you'd be willing to work out some kind of trade for at least partial payment on one of those puppies?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

I DO mean that little didy, as a matter of fact! That thing is beautiful! Any way you'd be willing to work out some kind of trade for at least partial payment on one of those puppies?

Sure! Whatcha got mate? Im always up for a good trade. Esp to good people!

thatworks.shop