my (unfinished) kit

adam  cyphers

or the pattern for the netting around bottles?

Hervey Garret Smith's "The Marlinespike Sailor" or "Arts of the Sailor" both show the knots ....(you can sometimes find them in secondhand book stores)

There is a web page from a Rev. War Naval group that has good instructions for a later period hammock.....

as long as is doesn't break at 2:00AM and sets off a bout of nocturnal Tourette's

Hey... that was from using a too narrow net hammock.... not the canvas one that I've never had a problem with.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/hamock.htm

This is the website Edward used for his hammock. It's the Royal Navy Hammock pattern.

It's also a bit dated.....I'm friends with the guy who made that many moons ago, and he has since returned to England and turned up new stuff. The big thing I remember him mentioning was that the originals were made in two panels with a lengthwise seam down the middle, not just a single width of cloth like in the pattern (and the demensions are off because of this). Most of his research actually involved studying the canvas itself, weaves, weights, and what not....and he actually had a bunch of canvas made up identical to original canvas and was making hammocks out of it for awhile. Unfortunately, he got cancer and left the business of making Hammocks, and one of his last projects was supplying some hammocks for Master and Commander, but he did awesome work on them. He tried to encourage me to pick up where he left off and add hammocks to my production line, but I left the slop-making business about that time to pursue other endeavours.

Cheers,

Adam C.

thank you mistress alexander and master crips...very helpfull...pics forthcoming.

Here are some pic of a hammock I made from the pattern mentioned. Nice features are that is adjustable in length, and the rope work is not too hard. You do want a sewing palm for the stitches. I learned that 36" is a bit narrow, so I widened it to 48", also I lengthened it to 90" rough to come out 72" between the seams. (I'm 5'9" and wanted to fit) It is amazingly comfortable, and not difficult to put together, just time consuming, the hitched eyes take forever and you have 24 to do. You can also roll it and tie off to store all your clothes, so it doubles as a seabag, pretty handy all around. Hope this helps.

Hammock6.jpg

Hammock5.jpg

Hammock3.jpg

Hammock1.jpg

Adam,

Not a problem. Mr. Okeeffe's widening of his hammock actually gets it closer to the right demensions. I can't remember if Frank told me that it was 24 or 26 inches wide on the canvas that was used (contracted to be woven for both light sails and hammocks), so I'm hesitent to give final demensions at this moment. But that wide, with the two inches for the seam (1" on each panel if seamed right) down the center and selvedge on the outter edge was how the flat ones were done. Apparently the length in the original pattern was correct, he just didn't have the width down right (as well as the two panel thing). Also, he no longer supports the using cotton canvas thing....he made that WAY back in the day when Richmond was dealing with just trying to get a lot of newbies into the field....if you are hardcore dedicated, the answer is to spend a lot of money and get appropriate flax canvas custom woven and then pray you can sell the remainder off to your buddies (which he managed to do, but not all of it was in hammock form)...and our guys were only crazy enough to do that once...but a more practical solution is just to get hemp canvas, slice it down the center lengthwise and put your center seam in......it will look better than using cotton canvas (not used for hammocks until into the 19th century as far as I'm aware.....would love to see them at least as early as RevWar, but alas nothing yet...and I seriously doubt I'll find it early enough for pirate stuff), and would be a stronger and longer lasting hammock....match it up with a metal ring and some hemp rope for clews, and you're squared away....

Cheers,

Adam C.

stuck with cotton canvas and manila for now...

We've all been there, no worries...hope the project goes well for you. Hammocks were one of the greatest creations of man (you know, outside of agriculture). My last year of college, since I only had one class to attend and the rest were senior seminars and independent studies, I literally spent all day every day in my hammock with a 3 foot high stack of books next to it and a laptop.....it helped that the college had a palm garden that was put in back in the 1880s, so there were tons of awesome palm trees to string up between. Guess my point is, accurate or not, hammocks are amazing and even if you make a more authentic one down the road you will still find a use for this one....and if all else fails, you have an extra bed for the next new guy who comes down the line.....

Cheers,

Adam C.

Here are some pic of a hammock I made from the pattern mentioned. Nice features are that is adjustable in length, and the rope work is not too hard. You do want a sewing palm for the stitches. I learned that 36" is a bit narrow, so I widened it to 48", also I lengthened it to 90" rough to come out 72" between the seams. (I'm 5'9" and wanted to fit) It is amazingly comfortable, and not difficult to put together, just time consuming, the hitched eyes take forever and you have 24 to do. You can also roll it and tie off to store all your clothes, so it doubles as a seabag, pretty handy all around. Hope this helps.

Top notch! Very nice work mate.

I was looking ta craft somethin like this prior to PIP 2009. With flyin in and all, I punted on a lot of stuff and bartered fer a lightweight nylon hammock ta get by.

twas the first time I ever closed mine eyes on a hammock - sure beats a cot. been meanin' to get back to this work tho, and you just might have provided the inspiration with those pics...

Thank ye Sir!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Top notch! Very nice work mate.

I was looking ta craft somethin like this prior to PIP 2009. With flyin in and all, I punted on a lot of stuff and bartered fer a lightweight nylon hammock ta get by.

twas the first time I ever closed mine eyes on a hammock - sure beats a cot. been meanin' to get back to this work tho, and you just might have provided the inspiration with those pics...

Thank ye Sir!

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Always happy to help out.

• 1 month later...

im bout an hour away from finishing mine...will post pics when i am done///lol its like a bastard child of mr.okeefes work.btw ive seen 2 of yours up close GREAT work.dutchs and maddogs...mine turned into an experiment.the next one will be much better.ty all for your help.

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/