Drake's Raid - 1586 Sword Help

If you wanted to spend a little more money... There is Darkwood Armory, they do good historical designs that are fencing ready. Popinjay (whose web site seems to be down) also has good stuff, and from what I recall, for cheaper prices... But with their web site being down, it is hard to say if they are still in business or not.

Michael_banner.jpg

Alchem is another source, that is significantly cheaper than Darkwood. I've compared the two, and while both are good... You really do get what you pay for with the Darkwood, their craftmanship is awesome! And I feel remiss for not mentioning the pub's own 1st Mate Matt and his company Baltimore Knife and Sword, whose craftmanship constantly impresses me.
Michael_banner.jpg

The first blade you show is the exact same one I have carried for several years at Drake's Raid. I like it, as it has a bit of heft and a handsome profile. I got it on sale, too, which never hurts!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I can't tell you where to find the best replicas, but here are some pictures of authentic period pieces that you could compare to the replicas to see which are the best. These are mostly German, but I believe England largely depended on imported German swords until they got their own German smiths to move to Hounslow in the 1620s.

img016.jpg

German tuck, about 1570.

img021.jpg

Rapier and main gauche made in Saxony, end of 16th century.

img018.jpg

French rapier, about 1570. This one had a spring-loaded blade; pushing a lever on the grip made your sword suddenly 6 inches longer.

img020.jpg

Rapier made in Saxony with fake Spanish and Arabic markings, about 1570.

img019.jpg

German-made basket-hilted broadsword, end of 16th century. Believe it or not, a Norwegian owned that sword, not a Scot.

As mentioned by several people, you could go with a swept hilt rapier or a transitional rapier with an arming blade. Darkwood is a good place to find such items. I also make a ton of rapiers and complex hilted weapons. There are quite a few good options.

If I were to get intot hat period agian, I would go with a massive blade mounted in a swept hilt just for style!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

One event for this time period = a nice blade that is correct, but it's a one use annual (disregarding Renfairs, sword) rolleyes.gif

Are ALL the one's I listed correct for the time period?

No. The Gustav Rapiers are 1630ish. The thinner rapiers with heavy ring guards are acceptable, but the Elizabethan rapier was definitely a heavier, wider blade. Think of a broadsword blade with a rapier type hilt. That said, that would be an officers or gentleman's blade. The sailors would have used a shorter, heavier hanger- sort of a proto cutlass, but without the figure 8 guard or basket hilt. Soldiers would have used a broadsword type blade with guards similar to the ones Daniel posted. Long blades are right out. Elizabeth decreed in 1576 that blades should be no longer than 36 inches. If you read the period sword manuals, the English blades are shorter and heavier. The longer, thinner Italian and French blades are derided as 'bird spits', and looked on as beneath the honour of an Englishman. The English fighting style is a very in your face, brawling style, and the continetal blades won't stand up.

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One event for this time period = a nice blade that is correct, but it's a one use annual (disregarding Renfairs, sword) rolleyes.gif

Are ALL the one's I listed correct for the time period?

No. The Gustav Rapiers are 1630ish. The thinner rapiers with heavy ring guards are acceptable, but the Elizabethan rapier was definitely a heavier, wider blade. Think of a broadsword blade with a rapier type hilt. That said, that would be an officers or gentleman's blade. The sailors would have used a shorter, heavier hanger- sort of a proto cutlass, but without the figure 8 guard or basket hilt. Soldiers would have used a broadsword type blade with guards similar to the ones Daniel posted. Long blades are right out. Elizabeth decreed in 1576 that blades should be no longer than 36 inches. If you read the period sword manuals, the English blades are shorter and heavier. The longer, thinner Italian and French blades are derided as 'bird spits', and looked on as beneath the honour of an Englishman. The English fighting style is a very in your face, brawling style, and the continetal blades won't stand up.

Now for the $10 question - Are there any examples of this style " The sailors would have used a shorter, heavier hanger- sort of a proto cutlass, but without the figure 8 guard or basket hilt. " that are for sale?

ihtcbanner.jpg

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1112.html

Slightly OOP but there are references to similar blades

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c967.html

these were still in use

http://www.loyalistarms.com/pirateswordscutlasses%20.html

the shell guard at the top of the page (This would be my choice, out of the commercial stuff out there)

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg