Please I need some help with my research :)!

Hey,

I am a student and for my last project at college I am preparing to create a set of pirate characters in 3d, i've come to your forum because it seems rich in information and I would be totally appreciative if you guys could answer a few of my questions mainly regarding clothing and other things such as literature, films, graphic novels or anything that you think you think is useful in creating a authentic pirate costume. This is the project that if i do well enables me to go to university in September so your help is definitely welcome and needed ;)

It would be great if I could get a list of all the items of clothing a pirate from the mid 18th century would have. If I have to be specific i am thinking 1745- 1755 but a list in general terms would be great too.

Id love it if you could give me some specific names for any parts of the clothing on the list below as well as tell me if i've missed anything important out. So far i've gotten:

WAISTCOAT

SHOES/BOOTS (although I haven't gotten any reference material for boots)

SHIRT (I've only gotten white linen shirts so far not sure what to search for to find the shirts pirates wore in the 18th century)

HAT(I've gotten a variety of tricorne hats but any more would be nice)

COAT ( I really need some names of coats pirates wore, Its really hard to get any good images i've only looked at frock coats so far and gotten 2 images )

BREECHES

BELT/BELT BUCKLES (I really need some more images of belt buckles from the 18th century)

BALDRIC

Any good websites with material on pirate clothing would be fantastic as well as any movies books etc you think would be good research I'll try post some of my development later on in the project for you guys to critique and tell me if something looks wrong with the clothing. I you are actually a costume designer or you made your own if you could post what you used as reference material that would be awesome thanks :D

Edited by Lieutenant Alex

The main and most famous period of piracy, as most people think of it were between 1716 and 1725.

As for the clothing . . .

It it to make for you to wear or for figurines?

A very, very basic summary:

WAISTCOAT

SHOES- most sailors were barefoot aboard ship or wore buckled shoes

SHIRT- linen shirt is perfect. The basic style lasted quite a long time

HAT- tricorns are the "baseball cap" of the era, also sailors are depicted wearing knit caps looking like a "ski-cap" and also cloth wrapped around the

COAT ( I really need some names of coats pirates wore, Its really hard to get any good images i've only looked at frock coats so far and gotten 2 images )

BREECHES- look for info on here about "slops" and "open knee breeches"

- also, sailors were known and depicted wearing trousers. Look at the plates on Anne Bonny, Mary Reede, and Blackbeard in Johnson's General History of Pirates (or whatever the correct title is- I've had a long day)

BELT/BELT BUCKLES- thin belts are more common than really wide ones, buckles were simple and often a full oval shape-> with a "D" or "square" on either side of the central bar)

BALDRIC- look at the pictures in Johnson.

For what you are after, I can't recommend Greg's site enough:

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/basic_kit.htm

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

The main and most famous period of piracy, as most people think of it were between 1716 and 1725.

As for the clothing . . .

It it to make for you to wear or for figurines?

A very, very basic summary:

WAISTCOAT

SHOES- most sailors were barefoot aboard ship or wore buckled shoes

SHIRT- linen shirt is perfect. The basic style lasted quite a long time

HAT- tricorns are the "baseball cap" of the era, also sailors are depicted wearing knit caps looking like a "ski-cap" and also cloth wrapped around the

BREECHES- look for info on here about "slops" and "open knee breeches"

- also, sailors were known and depicted wearing trousers. Look at the plates on Anne Bonny, Mary Reede, and Blackbeard in Johnson's General History of Pirates (or whatever the correct title is- I've had a long day)

BELT/BELT BUCKLES- thin belts are more common than really wide ones, buckles were simple and often a full oval shape-> with a "D" or "square" on either side of the central bar)

BALDRIC- look at the pictures in Johnson.

For what you are after, I can't recommend Greg's site enough:

http://www.gentlemen...m/basic_kit.htm

The knit caps were known as Monmouth Caps. You can find these easily with a Google search. A lot of sailors, which would include pirates, wore a fuzzy version called a Thrum Cap. It resisted water better than a regular knit cap. You can also Google these.

Mark

Ive already come across that guide bright thanks ;) and thanks a lot bilgewater browne that info is something i've been looking for! thanks a lot jack that website is superb! ill defiantly be using it in for my research. I'm trying to get some images of some 18th century hangars and cutlasses atm. im struggling though ;( any good sites for swords? or historical weaponry?

For swords and bladed weapons, here is a start:

http://www.piratebrethren.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

That is one group populated by folks on here who do living history. You'll recognize a lot of names from here. Also, look around the rest of that forum. That's another resource for your project.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Lieutenant -

Check your schools library if they have the two Boarders Away, I & II books by Wm. Gilkerson.

Jas. Hook

I still think he a spy from the Royal Navy dry.gif

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I called my self Lieutenant Alex for the irony c: , I went to my town library and school library and nothing of use. I went looking for books that generally revolve around the 18th century but they couldn't really help me. Got any more names of books Jas, Ill prepare a list this time to i can be more specific ;)

Not from the UK but ayes have made port there before check these landing out ;-}

http://en.wikipedia....spect_of_Whitby

http://en.wikipedia..../Execution_Dock

http://www.museumind.../English/Events

Exhibitions/Permanent/Sailortown.htm

http://www.goldenhin...Kyks5T7mKECFQc9

lAodpCd2OQ

thanks alot bright :lol: big help ive gotten alot of research on the clothing and weaponry just from lurking around other threads as well, could any link that slops code? i don't remember its full name (pardon my ignorance)

• 2 weeks later...