Drakes Raid 2010 is upon us!

Sgt Johnson

DRAKE'S RAID

JUNE 3rd – 6th,2010

BEING THERE-ENACTMENT OF

SIR FRANCIS DRAKE'S1586 RAID ON ST. AUGUSTINE

Just 424 years ago, on June6, 1586, 23 ships with 2000 Englishmen under the command of Sir Francis Drakeapproached the harbor of the Spanish colonial capitol city of ST. Augustine. On June 7th,approximately 1000 men landed on Anastasia Island. Theymounted cannon opposite the Spanish wooden fort (located on what is now theFountain of Youth Park) and began a cannon duel. During the night theEnglish learned that the 300 Spanish defenders had abandoned the fort. With daylight June 8th, the English crossed Matanzas Bay,taking the fort and proceeding to drive a Spanish rear guard from the vicinity of the city (located primarily to the south of today's Plaza).

On June3-6, 2010, join us in re-enacting Drake's raid in Old Town San Agustín,the site of the original attack. A 16thcentury-style military encampment will be open to the public at The Fountain of Youth Park, and will host drills, demonstrations and living history interpretation on Saturday the 5th from 10:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. The reenactment of the sacking and burning of the town will commence Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m. in the old city and plaza. This military display is intended to symbolically commemorate the temporary abandonment of the city of ST. Augustine by Spanish colonial forces. After Drake's men looted and burned the town,the Spanish returned to rebuild upon the same streets and foundations thatexist today.

For further information, please email or call us at:

Leftenant Jeff Johnson (904-534-6168),jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

Captain William Kunze , wskunze@yahoo.com

Supported in partby the St. Johns County Tourist Development Council

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Excellent. I'll be there with the sutlery.

God Save England and damnation to the dons!

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'll be up for the day on Saturday. Have to see if I can get Friday off and come up early.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I will be there on Saturday, firing shots with my Canon and preserving candid images for all eternity. Gratuitous portraits are available at your request.

Woohoo! Wanna stay for more than a day? I can bring your tent! :)

I will be in attendance as well.

Dogge - Yes you should figure one of these out! They are fantastic events and everyone is such a pleasure to be with

and the cooking...oh DEAR GOD can Melissa cook!!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Ivan,

I have a spare jerkin I can loan you (it is usually hot enough that you won't want too many clothes anyway). I got my slops from Sykes Sutlery and my shoes from Boots by Bohemond. Both usually have at least a few items in stock. As for weapons, I am sure they can fit you with a pike if all else fails.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Ivan,

I have a spare jerkin I can loan you (it is usually hot enough that you won't want too many clothes anyway). I got my slops from Sykes Sutlery and my shoes from Boots by Bohemond. Both usually have at least a few items in stock. As for weapons, I am sure they can fit you with a pike if all else fails.

Thanks! Good to hear! Liam made me a Jerkin and some breeches - I just wanted to make sure that was what was Kosher for the period... I have my matchlock as well.

Very excited!

ihtcbanner.jpg

Ivan,

Thanks for the Boots by Bohemond link - just ordered a pair!

ihtcbanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings All - just wanted to post an additional annoucment for the upcoming event. We look forward to seeing you there!

\

Sir_Francis_Drake_And_His_Coat_Of_Arms.gif

" Truly, Sir Francis Drake is a fearful man to the King of Spain!"

-- William Cecil, Lord Burghley, 1585

GREETINGS to all you Elizabethan Sea Dogs, from the Cpt. and crew of Drake's Men.

Once again, Sir Francis Drake will take and burn the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine in La Florida.

Set up for the event begins at 12:oo PM on June 3rd at the Fountain of Youth Park in St. Augustine Florida.

Please be aware – the appropriate 16th century attire and camp equipment is required.

Captain William Kunze: wskunze@yahoo.com

Leftenant Jeff Johnson: jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

Greetings All - just wanted to post an additional annoucment for the upcoming event. We look forward to seeing you there!

\

Sir_Francis_Drake_And_His_Coat_Of_Arms.gif

" Truly, Sir Francis Drake is a fearful man to the King of Spain!"

-- William Cecil, Lord Burghley, 1585

GREETINGS to all you Elizabethan Sea Dogs, from the Cpt. and crew of Drake's Men.

Once again, Sir Francis Drake will take and burn the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine in La Florida.

Set up for the event begins at 12:oo PM on June 3rd at the Fountain of Youth Park in St. Augustine Florida.

Please be aware – the appropriate 16th century attire and camp equipment is required.

Captain William Kunze: wskunze@yahoo.com

Leftenant Jeff Johnson: jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

As for camping gear - will my wedge tent be okay? What sorts of things are no-nos?

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

good lord....you florida people seem to have so much fun..........so much to do down there good lord, i shall have to join one day...though it would take me a while to get the dear for so many eras.....

Deer are hard to come by, and so is gear - you are right! I just ordered in a lever style matchlock, just for this event - not to mention two new kits... It's worth it though!

Oh, and a new sword... Yeeehaw!

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

Now we know why folks retire to Florida...too many interesting events...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Bugger!! Not going to make it. Perfect storm hit, stock issues, schedule stuff, and a DMV glitch.

Sorry, All!

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

A hearty thank you to all who managed to make this event, not to mention brave the record temperatures (106 degrees!!). Please take note that 2011 will mark the 25th anniversary of the Reenactment of Drake's Raid and we hope to have a large turnout to mark this occasion.

Here's a few pictures:

Enjoy!

Captain William

Drake's Men