I wish to become a real pirate

Yes,I truely wish to become a real pirate,or as close to one as I can. I wish to do pirate re-inactments,to design my own pirate's flag,to wear authentic clothing,and everything else piractical.

Which pirate festival,is closest to the state of Illinois?

barracuda.gif

Yes,I truely wish to become a real pirate,or as close to one as I can. I wish to do pirate re-inactments,to design my own pirate's flag,to wear authentic clothing,and everything else piractical.

Well, We're a 'real' pirate ship; we've been sailing to festivals on all of the Great Lakes since 2006..I don't know where you are in Illinois, but we'll be in Green Bay, South Haven, Chicago, and possibly Port Washington this summer. we can always use a hand when in port, and give pirates in garb preference regarding the Tallship Festivals and boarding. Our schedule is on this forum under 'Pirates on the Water'....

First problem - most "pirate festivals" are commercial ventures and have very little authenticity.

There are authentic pirate events. The Pirates of Paynetown is in Indiana and has a high level of authenticity.

Mark

to the person who asked,I am in Sycamore,Il. it is a small town

HA!!!!....i twas born an raised in Kingston (12 miles north of ya)!!!!!....and you thought Sycamore was a small town....HA!!!!

tho i know not any Pirate RE enactments in the GREAT STATE of ILLINOIS.....there are several rendevous and other period timelines events round then great inland seas(of corn)...that are Pirate freindly

course to get yer feet wet....head to the Lake(michigan)....Port Washington Wisconsin( close to ya)....or PIKE RIVER RENDEVOUS in Kenosha WISCONSIN....as well as Pirates of Paynsetown (indiana)

Fort Chartres(mid- Illinois) seems to be open to period pirates as well...theres a link here abouts somewhere from those that are a goin

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I think this is the link you were thinking of M.A. d'Dogge.

While a bit further out, there is also the Santa Maria pirate weekend, which is a great place for starting out, as it is open to re-enactors, and more entertainment focused pirates (although there is a preference for historical gear).

Thanks thar Micky...i had not foergotton yurs....just thinkin within a 4 hour circle of the lass...but he be right...the SANTA MARIA another good venue with freindly piratres to get yur feet wet...and get to sleep(them that sleep)on the boat herself!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

pick an event, contact the organizers and explain your interest in showing up and checking things out, show up - even if you're just in street clothes, introduce yourself to a nearby friendly pirate, check stuff out, ask questions, and most of all...have fun !!

fort de chartres in prarie de rocher, illinois and the santa maria in columbus, ohio are two close, upcoming events... the pirate encampment at the fort is a new thing this year... everyone i've met is always friendly... we're there to have fun, too !!

I'd head to Columbus in a few weeks, even if it is just to visit during the Santa Maria event. Many on here will be there, myself included if able to get off work.

It's worth a 9 hour/500 mile drive for me!

Also, Paynetown (just on the southside of Indianapolis) is a GREAT event to get your feet wet in historical pirate events.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy, Beth! Welcome to th' Pub. Ye couldn't have graced a finer piratical establishment.

M.A. d'Dogge... pretty much said it all. Paynetown and Port Wash are perhaps th' closest at current.

Port Wash is June 4 - 6 in Port Washington, Wisconsin (north of Milwaukee). It's a mixture of piracy.

Paynetown is in August, it's more the historical style than a pirate fest like Port Wash but worth one's while.

Now... if ye fancy, there are crews established t' join. M.A. d'Dogge is with th' infamous and fabulous Crewe of th' Archangel. There's the Great Lakes River Pirates, and a few others... plus the Fool's Gold and of course, one I'm attempting to create, the Pirates and Buccaneers of the Resurrection. ANY group would LOVE to have you with them. And ANY of them would be helpful towards yo'r historical pirate look.

If ye have ANY questions, don't hesitate t' ask. Have a look around, LOTS of info on here t' help ye out, too.

Hope t' see ye at Port Washington! Here's th' link for it, btw: Port Washington Pirate Festival

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!