Fort Frederick Market Fair April 22-25

Hawkyns

Anybody going? One of the biggest gatherings of period sutlers on the east coast.

http://www.friendsoffortfrederick.info/market_fair.htm

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Sorry, have to row...job with the Explorer...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oh Israel? want to meet up and car pool??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Heading to Fort Fred on Friday with a quick "cough" stop at Ft Chambers Gunshop to pick up my pistols that were getting fixed. Then heading to Oxford, MD

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

• 1 year later...

I hope to run down on Friday and check things out, first timer, but will combine it with a visit to my daughter and son-in-law in the Chambersburg PA area. Still a 6 hour run, but it sounds like it will be a worthwhile event and not too expensive, except for the cost of gas :rolleyes: wonder if the high cost of gas is going to put a damper on events and other tourist stuff this summer?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Won't make it this year. They changed the date so it would not conflict with Easter, and so made it conflict with one of our standard events. I really wish sites would not bugger their schedules about because of religious holidays.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went down on Friday, got there around noon. (6 hour drive) This is the first time I have gone, first time for a 'market fair' also, so I am not sure what I expected. There were a lot of tents of vendors, but the prices seemed high to me. One place had a blanket piled up with gourds for making canteens or water bottles, they were asking $20.00 for one gourd! that seemed way out of line for something I can grow in my yard. There were lots of people running around in period apparel, but it almost seemed like the vendors outnumbered the visitors. Rain had hit them hard on Thursday, there was lots of hay, woodchips and such to keep the mud away. Friday also was very overcast with periods of light rain, so maybe that kept the crowds away, or maybe that is how these things are attended, I can't say. I hope for the vendors that they had better weather and crowds on Saturday & Sunday, because when I was there I didn't see a lot of money changing hands. Overall it was nice to smell the woodsmoke and see people enjoying their hobby/business/lifestyle? Anyone else go?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

went saturday and sunday- didn't camp though. We met up with callenish, salty, and wee hamish which was the whole purpose of the trip- got to see that godchild more often! Saturday was delightful and we formed our shopping list. Got to spend some time with old friends and met some new, Blackbeard Festival shoyuld prove to be good this year. Sunday it rained and the crowds were nonexistant, which meant the suttlers were looking to offload cheap- good for me, bad for them. Grace got a new basket and some copper ware. I got another dozen tent stakes and something new for H.M. Custom agent Richard Williamson, God Save The king.

*edit, also ran into Susan and o'cin from the crew of the vigilant. Littleneck, you're right about the prices, but on the plus side you can see what fits and inspect for damaged goods to know what you are getting.

We set up camp Wednesday night, watching the weather forecast for thunderstorms and tornado watches. Campers and sutlers alike were relocated due to low areas being flooded by earlier rainfall. Early Thursday weather was awful, but not quite as bad as BPI, Friday grey, some showers and cold wind. But it didn't keep shoppers away. Saturday seemed quite busy and I know of at least one sutler (vendor) who was nearly cleaned out by the end of the day. Amazing! There is such an ebb and flow to the people going through various vendors it can seem deserted one moment, and full of chattering people the next. Rob and I did our part to relieve vendors of their wares, nearly being unable to take it all home rolleyes.gif Sunday was so wet that at least one sutler reported flooding (and I remember his neighbor having the same problem earlier in the week). And packing up and returning home with wet canvas was not so much fun. I think this has been one of the wettest Ft. Fred Market Fairs in my memory of the event. wacko.gif And I have made due note of the location of the nearest hotel wink.gif

Dutch, we saw you and Grace with her amazing pack basket. Did she manage to fill it? We also ran into a good number of people from the Vigilant Crew.

I went down on Friday, got there around noon. (6 hour drive) This is the first time I have gone, first time for a 'market fair' also, so I am not sure what I expected. There were a lot of tents of vendors, but the prices seemed high to me. One place had a blanket piled up with gourds for making canteens or water bottles, they were asking $20.00 for one gourd! that seemed way out of line for something I can grow in my yard. There were lots of people running around in period apparel, but it almost seemed like the vendors outnumbered the visitors. Rain had hit them hard on Thursday, there was lots of hay, woodchips and such to keep the mud away. Friday also was very overcast with periods of light rain, so maybe that kept the crowds away, or maybe that is how these things are attended, I can't say. I hope for the vendors that they had better weather and crowds on Saturday & Sunday, because when I was there I didn't see a lot of money changing hands. Overall it was nice to smell the woodsmoke and see people enjoying their hobby/business/lifestyle? Anyone else go?

Littleneck, I'm glad you made it down there in spite of the long drive. Prices did seem to be all over the map, with over priced gourds and candles on one hand, and quite reasonably priced items on another. Just depends on what you were looking for and where--one vendor could charge twice as much as the guy down the road, literally. Some vendors were swamped on Friday, others not until Saturday when the weather improved. Some nearly sold out of things by Saturday afternoon, too. Just depends on what they are selling and what is important to buy as soon as you get there, like shoes.

Hope you make it back next year, with more time to spend.

Jen