dress like a pirate

skibum5889

Well, for starters, the best thing you could do would be to just browse the old threads of this site. That ought to give you plenty of ideas, and then when you have a specific question or problem you need help with, toss out a question.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Alright chum! Come alive and listen up! Ye got some decidin' to do. Do ya wants to be a fancy Dandy pirate, a historically accurate pirate, what time period or do ya's be pure fantasy? Once you have these things in that bildge covered 'ead of yours. Then you can start on your kit. Because once you get your "status" decided you need to decide what type of rank ya be holdin'. Captain, Boatswain, Quartermaster, Gunner, deck hand, or Millitary status. Once you have that you can focus on the clothes one would have in that time period, social status, success rating, etc. For example if you were a deck hand in the 1680's you wouldn't have a cleaned and pressed silk shirt with ruffles and a waiste coat. Now ifinit be a fantasy character then the skys pretty much the limit. Now that's not to say you can't change station and rank as you go along. But how much can you afford to put into your kit? I always ses start simple and work up. Unless you got a chestfull of duccats and price doesn't matter. Either way there are some great links in the plunder section on the board and also on me own site Pirate Resources

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

First, look in yer wardrobe an' see if'n anythin' looks just a little like what yer after. It be a whole lot easier an' cheaper ta alter an existin' garment rather than goin' out an' buyin' all new. Especially with the more dirty, gritty look ye seem ta favor. Now that ye see what ye have already that ye can work with, check out thrift stores fer things that can fill in the gaps. I can't stress enough how much this sort o' thing is gonna save ye. I been piratin' fer o'er ten year now an' my collection o' clothes an' gear be combined ta a pretty penny I tell ye. I started out with just a felt berret, poet's shirt, storebought lycra tights, a pair o' Minnetonka moccasins, leather belt, an' dagger. The whole thing was less than $200.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

You can look through Ebay, if you're willing to spend a chunk of money, or you can just hop on over to the Simplicity pattern site, or any other pattern site. Chivalry sports has some nice patterns, for example. If you're an advanced seamstress, you can make your own. Here's some starting places...

Check out:

http://www.simplicity.com

http://www.renstore.com

Also, have a look-see into our PLUNDER section with the hats and boots and jackets and ebay finds. We're all pirates on a budget, so we're always happy to help when we can.

Check out your local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores for some odds and ends to add to your costume. Sometimes, those stores are the best for finding some awesome pirate goodies. I found a beautiful black brocade frock coat for my hubby for about $7 at my local Goodwill. Cheapest new one I've seen=$300. I saved about $293!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Basically follow with what Black Deacon stated. It's the distressing look of the attire that will be fun, mate. :ph34r:

If you want to go cheap, I did. My whole of the outfit I did myself... sewed it & all. Spend 'round $200 - $250 on it. Material, boots, hat, feathers, mad ethe belt myself, etc... everything. Had the sword already. & the pistol (but looking for a better pistol in which you can use a really cheap wall replica (non-firing) type if you don't want to spend a ton on working replicas. )

I'm sure by tomorrow morning (knocks on wood), if you click on my "name", will take you to my profile/stats.. there will be a pic of myself in my pirate captain costume. ('cause of it, my friend calls me Barbossette. :ph34r: )

Otherwise, scower the 2nd hand shops, eBay, etc... or maybe someone here on the board could make ya a costume.

I wish ya luck on your costume. ;)

Huzzah!

Forever Barbossa's,

Anastazia

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Does anybody know where i can get 3 ?cutlesses? cheap?

Cheap. The Pirates Treasure

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Skibum.. do you sew? Or is someone going to sew for you?

if you want to try cheap & quick - in a manner of speaking - then I believe that Buttericks has a pirate costume. Otherwise, Buttericks & Simplicity have colonial patterns (Simplicity not being all that impressive).

You can then find any kind of material you want, depending on how much you want to spend.

It's the hats, boots/shoes, belts, etc that is the hard part.

For good patterns, plus hats Jas. Townsend & Sons is a good place to get patterns & hats from.

Plus under the Plunder topic on the Pub, there are TONS of helpful hints & links to places to get a hold of some of the hard to find items.

Kit bashing some items is ok, I did that with the waist belt of mine... took to identical belts, combined them. Made a belt with cheap belt polyester strap, a brass buckle from another kit-bashed belt, & a HUGE black velvetine & silver button.

Fabric stores that have remenant material on sale, that's a good place to go for sashes, scarfs for the head, etc.

As to boots... I bought cheap winter like boots. But if you want to go full force on boots, Caboot boots has a good variety. I'm sure there are other places out there as well. Caboot boots being on average $250 - $300+, but they have some awesome boots like Jack Sparrow & Barbossa boots.

As into an era.... Mine is a silly knock off kinda like Barbossa's... a combination of eras like late 17th, early to mid 18th c. Though, not as scattered with various worldly influences.

Are you looking for Spanish? English? French?

Or 17th? 18th?

The good portion of what appears to be pirate is 17th & 18th. example, Treasure Island is set around 1750's, this is round about the time of the Seven Years (French & Indian) War. PotC has a huge influence from too much of both 17th & 18th c to really pin point a specific decade or part in the century. Such as like the Commadore's uniform starts off as F & I for such but later on, gets closer to pre-Am Rev War. But Swann's outfit is mostly late 17th c, a tad early 18th. Elizabeth's attire is looking rather mid 18th.

It's a tough thing to make a costume especially if you want a certain look. I wish ya luck.

But, if you are creative enough, you can pretty much find anything anywhere to make your costume. Check out anything from Wal-Mart to re-enactment events in your area, cause guaranteed there will be a sutler or 2.

Weapons.. Oooo... another touchy area. I wish ya luck there. I think a few peeps have helped ya there.

But the non-firing pistols would make for GREAT adornments to your pirate costume if you don't want to spend a HUGE amount on a firing/working pistol.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

:(

LadyBarbossa I do have somebody sewing for me, it is my aunt, she is real good. But I'm young and do not really have a couple hundred dollars to spend on my outfit. I've looked for costumes all over but have no sucess. I don't know mabey I'll throw some things together. Thank you for your help, but if anyone else wants to give me ideas and anything else please tell me. :ph34r:

I wish ya luck, mate.

Rather difficult at times for a pirate to have right fine attire made for you. That's as mentioned by others, that they search 2nd hand shops or the sort for something to tide over until one can have themselves a fancy outfit.

Again, I wish ya luck. Happy hunting, lad. :huh:

Huzzah!

Forever Barbossa's,

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

:ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Tis true, Ya can spend some dabloons, and get all fancied up, walk the walk, and talk the talk!

I got me self all spiffied up by stealing it from various locations, (Tis True) Mostly from Salvation Army Depots. Some from thrift stores, and Others from me Ex Wenches. all Viable sources to obtain good "Pirate" Looking clothes.

But Like I have always said, (And live for the past 29 Years)

I Take what I want, I Take what I dont, I Keep What I want, I Sell what I dont.

Captain Morgan

Me own coat (check me pic in me profile) be based on a pattern from Smoke and Fire Patterns, the Revolutionary War Regimental Coat. I baught upholstery weight velvet fer the body, ribbon an' rope fer the trim, an' unbleached muslin fer the linin'. The buttons, I found by diggin' through the discontinued button bin at a local fabric store at 15 fer a dollar. There be forty buttons there an' a fair amount o' sewin' besides. I wanted somethin' ta warm me bones when the temp dips below 60 (yes, I know I'm a crybaby) that wasn't goin' ta cover up what I spent so much time an' money ta put together. Ye'll probly want ta go simpler ta start with, as ye may be financially challenged, but as time goes on, ye get the look ta improve a little at a time. Good luck to ye, an' may the wind be always at yer back, mate.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Does anybody know where i can get 3 ?cutlesses? cheap?

Cheap Swords, says ye....well all of mine are replicas I purchased from Flee Markets or gift shops.....most were $40 one was $60....I have six so far..the market seems to full of fantasy swords so I have to look hard for historic replicas.

sword1.gif

This be one o' my $40 swords...but I carries a replica marine sword as it looks most salty.

Good Luck to ya

KP

If you want really easy, find a white(ish), baggy shirt. It's amazing what changing the buttons on it will do to the look. Get a wide leather belt, preferably in brown or black. Have some dirty cotton pants in brown or black, or stripes if you can find some like that. The more it's old and worn out, the better. Keep the top of the shirt open, maybe get a bandana (I made mine out of an old, solid color t-shirt that was past it's prime. I just cut a large triangle with a knife. One of these days I'll finish the edges with a bit of needle and thread, but it works fine for now). Walmart has some wood or fake-bone handled knifes. It's not exactly period proper, usually, but most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's amazing what a leather sheath and some fancy knots for a lanyard will do to make it saltier. Then, either go barefoot, get some old looking leather sandles, or black boots. There's been a few threads on boots. I know lots of people that got most of their costume at Salvation Army type stores. It may not be exactly period proper, but it will definitely give the impression of old style clothing. Swords and pistols also help.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg