The Texas Pirate Festival

Blackbead

When: May 1-2, 2010; 11:00 to sunset both days

Where: Middlefaire, 5 miles outside of Hillsboro, TX

What: $12 for adults, pirate tales and poetry, pirate songs, pirate games, a pirate costume contest, pirate vendors, pirate food and drink, pirate camping, pirate reenactors with cannon and black powder blazin'!, and lots and lots of pirates!

I'll have me market open there and will let ye all know the possibilities.

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 3 weeks later...

The Texas Pirate Festival is born!

With tremendous weather (lots of sunny skies and strong, cool winds) the heart of Texas was home this weekend to The Texas Pirate Festival. It was the first year of this event but it was full of pleasant surprises for this vendor/performer and it's one that I hope grows and grows as the years progress. My pirate fort was actually full at times as we had more patrons than I expected, although I am sure that was the result of a large contingent of the cast of Four Winds, a Renfaire over in Tyler, Texas, joining us for the festivities. The French King came in and bought a flintlock. When I asked him why he rattled off something in that Frenchie talk they have but his interpreter told me it was for his protection in the village since it seemed to be full of pirates, privateers, buccaneers and scalawags!

The Bilge Pumps, the Ladies of the Salty Kiss, Without a Net, Willy's Wiley Wenches, Brendanna's Dream, and The Iron Hills Vagabonds provided lots and lots of entertainment. Two different belly dancing troupes showed off their . . . skills - Sultan's Dream and Tribal Evolution. And the Blue Moon Boucanniers "fought the good fight" with live, black powder reenactments of a pirate crew claiming the town for the weekend!

In addition, there was, on each day, pirate costume contests with Grand Prizes of over $240 in prizes going to the winners!

The village was full of vendors and there were several food vendors to feed you. Management still doesn't have their liquor license, yet, so the beer and wine were complimentary.

I did my "Devil's Tavern" show on several occasions, and while one of them was attended by only two patrons, another was full and the audience gave me that rare gift of rapt attention as I told them the tale of the Sabre and it's ghost! This was an auspicious beginning to what I believe is going to become a hit! Make you plans to be there next year - the Santa Teresa should be finished, docked at the wharf and ready to take on boarders!

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 8 months later...