Some Serious Wood...

Jas. Hook

I stumbled across this rental site of interest.

Even if you're not in the market the photos are great. :blink:

http://www.privateermedia.com/Boats/boats.htm

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

That is a cool site..better yet I wish I could work for a company like that one full time on the west coast..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

That is a cool site..better yet I wish I could work for a company like that one full time on the west coast..

I agree with Oderlesseye a full rate I do. The problem being that even fer this here company ye need to be keepin yer day job!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

In the List of Vessels there were several "Sea Bright Skiffs" that were modified for their purpose I guess of an earlier appearance. These vessels of the New Jersey Coast were quite outstanding in their own rite. They were used to fish in the Atlantic off the Jersey Shore launched and retrieved off the beach often in some weather on the return trip. The Skiffs that were listed were from a well known maker with a fine reputation. Hence many built, built well, many survive.

Here's the Hit! The Story of George Harbo and Frank Samuelson. These Norwegian Immagrants were fishing clams in Jersey and selling them at the Fulton Street Fish Market in Manhattan. Realizing there wasn't room for growth in this industry they got word of a challenge by the publisher of the Police Gazette that anyone that could crross the Atlantic without steam or canvas, he'd award a prize of $10K! They decided to win this prize, then earn fees for lectures and endorsements.

They took a Sea Bright Skiff and modified it with two floatation chambers, two rails on the bottom for righting and dry chambers for food and clothing. They had three pairs of spare oars securly lashed, three pairs of oil skins and lamps and oil. They set out from the Battery and began a Voyage of Fifty Five Days of Capsizing, Near Collision, Near Starvation and No Cruise Director!

They Made IT! The boarded a Steamer and not too far from home the steamer ran out of coal! The Capt ordered every piece or wood burned. Rather than give "FOX", the Sea Bright, to the boiler's fire, they put her overboard and rowed the rest of the way home!

The Publisher stiffed them on the $10K but gave them Gold Medals and they never recieved the notoriety they deserved. Their record Still Stands! Those of you that enjoy Sea Music, "The Ballad of Harbo and Samuelson" by Gerry Bryant. Those of you that enjoy reading as I do, I'm going to find a book I just learned about, writen by a decendant named Davis. I will Post more as I find it!

Last time I clicked on that site they only had 8 boats total. Now they have 47.

Hummmmm... Forty-seven ye say. Sounds like a fleet action. Perhaps thar' preparing for an invasion. dry.gif

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

What sez ye, Master Hook? We'ns get a'holt o' one o' them Sea Bright Skiffs an break that record! A hunnert year be too long a spell ta' be standin anyway! Jus think, wi' all the proper gear, why it will seem as to be a paddle across a millpond! Well, What say ye?

Aye capn'rob -

Only if she mounts a mast n' sail...

Ahhh... the thoughts thats keeps us goin'. These days ye be winded just crossn' that thar' millpond.

Best ta' just stands on the jetty a root for the youngers. Try to do what ye can but remember we're closer to membership in the gimpy-gull club. wink.gif

Jas. Hook