Blackbead's Treasure Chest at Billy Bowlegs!

Blackbead

Well, they were blind enough to take my check and I am scheduled to show me wares at this year's Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival! I'll have everything but me t-shirts! That means the most beautiful jewelry ever plundered, treasures from around the world, pirate toys, replica flintlocks, books, CDs, bumper stickers, magnets, buttons, and more!

See you there? :blink:

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 1 month later...

The crew is loading Adventure in preparation for sailing for Fort Walton Beach to take part in the 55TH Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival! Excitement is running high as we all dream of the trip we are about to embark upon! Shall we see you there???

Ah, so you were the pyrate booth we saw during our walkabout (I was the pirate in green waistcoat carrying the 1724 Dublin Castle Bess, the nephew was carrying the pirate colors).

Hope you made off well. We got drenched in the process but at least made a favorable impression amongst the crowd (compared to the Bowlegs "pirates" with riot shields... riot shields, wth?).

Yours, Mike

Pirate Brethren of NW Florida

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Aye, mate! Well, it might have been me or it might have been Tyger Lee. We were both there but I don't think that either of us will go back. If I go back, it will be to have fun, not to try and make any money. It was a "county fair" crowd that were more interested in the beer and corny dogs. As an example, a woman came up with three kids and wanted to buy eyepatches. We had 'em for a dollar a piece. She wanted to know what kind of deal we would give her if she bought three. People wanted flea market prices and I paid an art show booth fee. Quite a few of the vendors had never vended at this event before, including me. Of the nine that I spoke with on Saturday while we were waiting for the torrential rains to stop (they never did, I wound up loading the car in heavy rain) none of them are planning on going back. I at least made a few bucks (>$200). Some of the people lost money and the poor girls next to us packed up Friday night after losing ~$2,000 in materials. If I am there next year, look for me to be wandering the event, mug in hand, enjoying the show. But, since I can do that 45 minutes away from the house, at a real pirate festival, I'm not sure why I'd go 12 hours to get to Billy Bowlegs.

Blackbead

Sorry you didn't fare well.

Hopefully the word will get around and other merchants won't have to experience the farce of "Billy Bowlegs".

Don't know what next year will bring due to the BP oil spill, hopefully by that time I'll be out west!

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.