Edward Low was he the worst?

The Island

Guys,

I am really wondering if you can label Low the cruelest of all Golden Age Pirates? I ask this and am wondering because he had consorts like Lyne, Spriggs, Shipton, Cooper. Harris, etc. I have read and correct me if, i am wrong Spriggs was cruel and Lyne was a consort of Spriggs and he murdered all the crews he captured. I am curious to know more and a reference to Low actually using a Green Flag to summon his captains for a meeting? Foxe maybe you can help on the flag and post it, i went on your Bonventure (Pirate Mythtory) site and it was not found did you take it off the net?

Second Part-- In your guys humble opinions what do you think happened to Low as to his fate?

Edited by The Island

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

Guys,

I am really wondering if you can label Low the cruelest of all Golden Age Pirates? I ask this and am wondering because he had consorts like Lyne, Spriggs, Shipton, Cooper. Harris, etc. I have read and correct me if, i am wrong Spriggs was cruel and Lyne was a consort of Spriggs and he murdered all the crews he captured. I am curious to know more and a reference to Low actually using a Green Flag to summon his captains for a meeting? Foxe maybe you can help on the flag and post it, i went on your Bonventure (Pirate Mythtory) site and it was not found did you take it off the net?

Second Part-- In your guys humble opinions what do you think happened to Low as to his fate?

I've never seen the flag but I know it's described as a green flag with a yellow man blowing a trumpet. As far as what happened to Low, after his defeat to the Greyhound took a whaling ship and set the crew adrift without any provisons then procceeded to capture fishing vessles around Block Island. I truely feel that his crew were tired, worn out and sick of his psychotic cruelty and killed him themselves and set sail for brazil to live out the rest of their days. Just my thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Well, various accounts perhaps arbitrarily account him the most vicious of pirates, and he does seem to have been pretty abominable. We've a soft spot for Low up here in Nova Scotia being as he cruised about up here, pillaging for food and medicines. A horrible, horrible man. The MOST cruel of pirates during the GAoP? That's hard to identify. After all, what about all of the not-famous-and-lost-to-history pirates? How cruel were they? We'll never know.

The French claim to have found him adrift in the ocean by chance [an unlikely chance, admittedly], and taken him away for hanging, but exposure and starvation are also likely candidates for his inevitable fate. Personally, considering what he did whilst alive, I find a dramatically appropriate fate would have been the death adrift on the open sea to exposure, hunger and thirst.