Who Are We?

Hawkyns

Tis all in knowing when to repent and when to forgive and when just to shoot the bastard and be done with it.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, come on Callenish. When was the last time you saw a woman dressed in poly-satin psuedo-Victorian corsetry, claiming to be a reenactor? I bet if you asked her if she was a reenactor, she'd reply, "Hell no, I'm just here to have fun." If you asked the guy in jeans and eye-patch, he'd probably say the same thing. I would be equally surprised if anyone dressing in a more fantasy-type garb would claim to be authentic.

(Again, speaking from a UK perspective). What people tell the public (and/or site owners and event sponsors) and what people tell other reenactors are often two different things. There have been (and still are) groups over here who freely admit to other reenactors who know the difference that they're not authentic and they're just out for some fun, but will tell the public that 'this is what pirates looked like', and will label themselves in their own publicity as accurate and educational. At best this is dishonest, at worst (and particularly when it comes to getting well paid events at prestigious historical sites) it's fraud. As I've stated over and over, on this forum and others, I have no issue with people choosing whatever path suits them, but I can't stand dishonesty.

My experience of the gore of reenactment is that the public will accept a hanging, but draw the line at launching babies from trebuchets...

In reference to my earlier comments, I ought to add that I'm still quite hansome in a rugged kinda way, and do have a delicious English accent... :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I think few of us would argue that Hawkyns, Bo and a few others here do something rare. They live off the land for real. By necessity they get into the mindset of the individual who has to actually shoot and skin dinner, who has to improvise on the fly and who has shut him or herself off entirely from the modern world to experience a life from the past. They understand the life of these folks that goes way beyond the limited reference materials. Most of us here don't have the ability to do it and it's truly remarkable.

As for living history... to be truly authentic, wouldn't you need to be aboard a ship? Pirates (as opposed to buccaneers) didn't appear to love being on land - when a ship was careened, they were virtually defenseless. And I certainly doubt they brought tents along on the ship. Frankly, some of the encampments I've seen would look just as good with Civil War musters in them instead of pirates. A lot of what we claim to be accurate is made necessary by being stuck on land. Hence, the elaborate camps vs. Patrick Hand's piece of canvas supported by branches. And it's truly hard to escape into the period when a 200 foot yacht passes by the ship you're standing on (this happened with the Bounty here). I guess I really don't see the difference between re-enactment and living history, as they are both presented with serious constraints in today's world. If anything, living history would seem to be the recreation of a specific event (like the Battle of Gettysburg) while re-enactment is creating a scenario that mirrors historical times but doesn't act out a specific event in history.

Finally (on the soapbox for a moment), a lot of "living history" and "re-enactments" are a mishmash of history. Buccaneers, not GAoP pirates did land campaigns, marched as a singular force, attacked soldiers and burned towns. They were not sailors, but soldiers in background, so they preferred the land over the water. Hence, their encampments make far more sense than those representing GAoP. And yes, I'm overgeneralizing here, so please don't pull up examples to show there was this one rare instance on XXXX date. Even the most hardcore re-enactor at an event can run to the store to get more bacon or to the hospital if they slice themselves wide open. Hawkyns here is referring to an entirely different level, where a cold night, properly unprepared for, can kill you if you 1) didn't bring the right clothes, or 2) find shelter. And you can bleed to death with a serious wound.

As a disclaimer, I've tried the living history thing. I liked it but it wasn't me. I'm an entertainer - I can't escape that. But I highly respect those who pursue it. But no matter how well it is done, it must live within the constraints of the modern world. You just can't take a dump in the woods when you need to go, you can't fire live rounds, you can't kill a passing squirrel, you can't wold a prisoner, you can't have your way with a passing wench, you can't have a slave fetch you some more firewood, and in some cities you can't even wear your weapons. Your car is always in a parking lot not far away and your real job awaits your return on Monday.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I've seen some pretty weird shyte—including a woman dressed as an albino big-bird. Asked what she was intending, her answer was, "I'm a pirate's pet cockatiel (?)."

Wow! I wish I'd have seen that... Although this sounds like someone attending an event rather than being a part of it - unless it is just a pirate-themed party.

You know the funny thing about this is that there are actually a series of books for kids...the You wouldn't want to live in a Wild West Town, You wouldn't want to be sick in the 16th century, You wouldn't want to be Pirate's Prisoner, etc...that strictly show the "ugly, hard" side of the time frame each book concentrates on. Kids LOVE them and they get them asking questions, IF you can get them past all the naked athletes in the You wouldn't want to be a Greek Athlete. Then they just blush and giggle a lot...

What a fascinating idea! Although I would think some parents would take umbrage at them if they are really accurate.

My experience of the gore of reenactment is that the public will accept a hanging, but draw the line at launching babies from trebuchets...

:lol: I am surprised how glibly most people accept Bucky & Becky, my gibbeted, rotting pirates. I've seen parents go out of their way to show them to their kids.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hmmm maybe we should define each group like was attempted in another thread with Real versus Reel?

From what I have seen over the years, fwiw, I would attempt to break down to:

Living Historian: The person who is in it to teach/demonstrate by living the life as closely as possible to the actual time frame. This would obviously include the person who is full immersion/never breaks character the entire time they are at an event, drinks from an historically correct vessel and is drinking something period correct. When he turns out his pockets you won't find a cell phone, car keys, or the tab from McDonald's. He flinches in pain when the field commander tells them they must use a walkie talkie during the battle and then instead goes and enlists a dragoon to ride orders down the line when necessary or a runner if the musicians aren't around.

Reenactor: The person is in it for reenacting a battle or a skill from the time frame. For instance the Rev. War soldier who comes to fight in the battle of Monmouth. He knows the drill, follows the commands on the field, his kit is good down to the very last button, and he knows the battle backwards and forwards, but then when the battle is done and gun put away, he breaks out the soda or beer and drinks from the can or bottle and starts talking about his new Harley in front of the public. Or the woman who comes to teach on spinning who reenacts the skill but not in character and teaches it to others using what ever "language" needed to get the point across. When she is done, she packs up her spinning wheel in the car and heads to a hotel for the night.

Not a huge fan of categorization, specially when the categorization is so binary as the above is. By the above definition, I would fall into the "re-enactor" category, and I am most certainly not at events for "just the battles". I do a fair bit of demonstrating at many events I attend, but apparently as someone who prefers "third person" to "first person" I can't be a "Living Historian". And I think the statement "he breaks out the soda or beer and drinks from the can or bottle and starts talking about his new Harley in front of the public" is a whole lot out of line.

Sterling, while I think you were trying to just make a point here and boil things down, but I think you may have pushed your definitions a little too far. While I know everyone has their preferences, it might best behoove us to at least try and make points and differentiate without disparaging those who prefer the other path. While I do sneak in the occasional modern cigarette (as do many I have seen from the "Living History" side as well) as someone who would fall more into the "re-enactor" category by your definition, I am very conscious about keeping modern conveniences out of site until after hours, as are most of the folks I know that would fall into that category (by your definition).

Michael_banner.jpg

OK, Michael, why "after hours"? What is magic about the public leaving? I'll be honest, I haven't seen one pirate gathering/festival/reenactment yet that goes 24/7. And that disturbs me. We all talk about our personae, whether it be the purist or the fantasist, but we drop them like dirty socks when the public is gone. If we are so enamoured about what we do, why is it so hard to stay in that persona beyond the public time. Qhite honestly, from other periods that I do, it is after the public, with all its non period clothing and questions, goes home, that we can really get into being who we want to be. Some of the best times I've had have been sitting around the campfire, singing period songs till way past midnight, or arguing period politics until we fall over. And there's nothing like a good old fashioned protestant vs catholic argument in period to give you the feel of a Thirty Years War camp. A tankard of cider, a good pipe, and a good period discussion or song until you crawl off to sleep in your pile of straw is what makes the hobby.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

For me reenactment is about doing real things. Sure it would be more accurate and fun to have a bunch of gals seting up a whorehouse tent, but what are you gonna do with them? Faking intercourse? What's the point of that? No matter how good is your impersonation, gears and knowledge of the period, I'm still a married guy from the 21 st century that loves his wife and would n't want to have sex with a fake whore to be more period.

I feel the same way about gore stuff, I don't like it because it is fake, not because it might offend the public. I have no problem with somebody bringing live animals and eating them during an event. Best way to preserve fresh meat in a pc way. I'm talking fake amputation, torture and such. To me that's theatre, not reenactment. If you want to educated the public about those realities, I prefer a small presentation or lecture with period artefact or reproduction than theatre.

Mes deux sous...

Qhite honestly, from other periods that I do, it is after the public, with all its non period clothing and questions, goes home, that we can really get into being who we want to be. Some of the best times I've had have been sitting around the campfire, singing period songs till way past midnight, or arguing period politics until we fall over. And there's nothing like a good old fashioned protestant vs catholic argument in period to give you the feel of a Thirty Years War camp. A tankard of cider, a good pipe, and a good period discussion or song until you crawl off to sleep in your pile of straw is what makes the hobby.

That's what makes the hobby for you. Everyone gets involved in playing pirate for different reasons. No one's reasons are more or less valid than the others; they're just different. It's personal choice, up to a point. If you want an event that goes the way you have just detailed it, set one up and define the requirements with great specificity. But you can't impose that outlook on an event that someone else has organized. The person or group that goes to the trouble to organize an event gets to set the requirements for attending. That way the attendees are free to decide whether or not they are interested in (or even capable of) participating.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

OK, Michael, why "after hours"? What is magic about the public leaving? I'll be honest, I haven't seen one pirate gathering/festival/reenactment yet that goes 24/7. And that disturbs me. We all talk about our personae, whether it be the purist or the fantasist, but we drop them like dirty socks when the public is gone. If we are so enamoured about what we do, why is it so hard to stay in that persona beyond the public time. Qhite honestly, from other periods that I do, it is after the public, with all its non period clothing and questions, goes home, that we can really get into being who we want to be. Some of the best times I've had have been sitting around the campfire, singing period songs till way past midnight, or arguing period politics until we fall over. And there's nothing like a good old fashioned protestant vs catholic argument in period to give you the feel of a Thirty Years War camp. A tankard of cider, a good pipe, and a good period discussion or song until you crawl off to sleep in your pile of straw is what makes the hobby.

Hawkyns

I can answer for myself here, but I would guess the reasons could be as varied as the people.

And to add more to your comment, I have yet to see one re-enactment that is 24 hours. That covers 2 years of me doing War of 1812, 6 or 7 years of late dark age (Norse, Saxon, etc.), and the last handful of years of late 17th/early 18th century. Anyone who really knows me knows me, knows the amount of, and variety of the events I attend each year, while some years in the last decade or so I haven't been that busy, but for most of my modest years in re-enacting, I have been one of the more active re-enactors in whatever time frame I was focusing on at the time.

Anyways, back to the question... The short answer is, I find it is exhausting. While a good part of why I re-enact is to get away from the modern world, it is still an escape for me. In fact, if I took "real vacations" where I didn't get all done up in period clothing etc., I would likely do less than half the events a year I currently attend. So yeah, re-enacting for me is in part a bunch of mini-vacations away from the job, and the modern world. But considering the hours to drive to most of the events, all the running around and often dealing with the public during the "open hours" and everything else, re-enacting while enjoyable to me and something I love, can just be exhausting, and after hours gives me a chance to just kick back and relax. And as I have alluded to earlier in this topic, I find first person frustrating to be in at the best of times, the notion of doing it 24 hours a day, is just more than I can take. Being "in character" for that long, and giving up all the modern conveniences for that long just starts to make it more like work than fun. Sure for those who only get out 3 or 4 times a year, they may have the energy and enjoyment to want those handful of excursions to perfect "immersion" experiences, but for a road weary traveler like me who was out no less than 13 or 14 events last year, and with a current line-up for the coming year that looks just as big... it just gets tiring.

Having said all that, I don't try to flaunt soda cans or beer bottles "after hours". I do try to pour my drinks into a more period looking vessel. But I certainly won't go way out of my way to avoid it when "off the clock".

Michael_banner.jpg

Mission that's my whole point, that's why I started this thread. We are NOT being given full info about events. Things are being mislabled and it makes it difficult or impossible to know hat you are getting into in advance. If a site has a 'living history' camp, I would expect it and all participants to be juried. I would expect the participants to be knowledgeable about they are doing and to base their actions on their persona, not the crowd. I would expect that the participants are serious enough about this that they would not strip the garb and sit on a cooler driking Bud from a can just because the public gate is closed.

It's not for everyone, I never claimed it is. But if I see an event labled as living history, I don't want to see Jack Sparrow, or stuffed parrots, or women in faire wench bodices. If that's what you are going for, fine. Call it a festival or a gathering. If you are looking for crowds of pirates, at least be straight with us and publish all the rules (or lack of)way up front. And if you want a living history event, be prepared to jury it, enforce the rules, expect a small group of dedicated people, and be prepared for people in the audience to be offended.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I will unselfishly take the fake whores on behalf of all the menfolk here. I know it's a sacrifice.

I have the same problem about fake battles. They look fake. The swordplay isn't spontaneous, it's choreographed. Frankly, I've seen better swordplay in Errol Flynn movies. The same problem with gunfire. The guns are aimed at impossibly high angles for safety reasons to be even believable. It reminds me of playing war as a kid where my brother said bang and I refused to fall down because he missed me.

No matter what everyone here says, living history and re-enactment events have their limitations and can't be authentic by their very nature. It's hard to get into the moment when a jet flies overhead every 10 minutes on the way to the airport. Or at PiP where our cars are all parked within constant view of the encampment.

For true living history or re-enactment, Hawkyns would be right - away from the public and living the period. We did that three years ago at PiP in the fort - all the talk was about period politics, religion, world events. And frankly, it was pretty exhausting. My hat's off to those who can do it that well.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Well, there aren't any rigidly defined terms that I've seen, so we're back to opinion again. "Living History" means one thing to you and another thing to someone else. I always think of the local Henry Ford Greenfield Village when we start getting into this discussion. The people try to stay in character the whole day and do the things that were done at the periods they represent, but they inadvertently slip in and out. Anytime someone says, "This was how..." they're not living history by the rigid definition. And these are people being paid to recreate history.

To have a hierarchical re-enactment situation along the lines you suggest would probably best be served by creating an organization which defined new terms that are the property of that organization (in other words, trademarked) and then using them only at events put on by that organization. As for the problem of finding out the requirements (or getting the full info), I think it is beholden upon the individual to ask the organizers if they don't find satisfactory info. And if the response sounds too vague, you can probably expect that you're probably not going to find the situation you previously described.

If you really want what you have detailed, you either need to find a like-minded group or create your own. As you yourself suggest, it's an elite (and thus small) group who want to re-enact at that level. I'd bet 5% of the membership on this forum aren't there...and many of the 95% are not even interested in going there. (Although some certainly are.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

To add to Mission's rather good point of there being no exclusive or universal terms, and the lack of a governing body (I think we all remember how contentious that discussion was), who is to say that an event that is a re-enactment (up-front saying the event expects only on hours standards), but has elements of "Living History" to it. Is the event trying to be misleading by saying it has "Living History" elements to it?

There are just too many grey areas, and from my experience almost no events live up to the "Living History" examples you and Sterling and providing. MTA despite having strict standards, is a timeline event. Any interaction with folks of a different time period to you, specially a big time difference would be not "Living History" by the suggested definition. PiP, and quite honestly most (if not all) the bigger and well know pirate events most certainly are not, as they more often than not try and balance pirate entertainers with re-enactors/living historians. In fact of all the events I have been to, Paynetown likely has the best potential for something close to that experience, and even then, the many modern boats on the lake, and modern campers (who while out of sight) are still close enough to affect the ambiance, specially during the day when they flock to the beach right beside the encampment. In fact, the only experience I can see as being anything close to the suggested definition of "Living History" would be what I know as "Historical Trekking/Scouting", and doing that in persona/character.

Michael_banner.jpg

And I think the statement "he breaks out the soda or beer and drinks from the can or bottle and starts talking about his new Harley in front of the public" is a whole lot out of line.

Obviously you did not attend a lot of events during the bicentennial, so I will stick with what I witnessed on numerous occasions over a fourteen year period of being active almost every weekend. I am chastising it...hell no. Am I bitter because it kept happening? Again no. Some of the out of period occurrences are some of my fondest memories, from rock and roll being played by the younger musicians on fife and drum at all hours of the night, to women suddenly in sackgown and no petticoats because their elastic waistband just burst and their skirts are now down around their ankles.

Sterling, while I think you were trying to just make a point here and boil things down, but I think you may have pushed your definitions a little too far. While I know everyone has their preferences, it might best behoove us to at least try and make points and differentiate without disparaging those who prefer the other path. While I do sneak in the occasional modern cigarette (as do many I have seen from the "Living History" side as well) as someone who would fall more into the "re-enactor" category by your definition, I am very conscious about keeping modern conveniences out of site until after hours, as are most of the folks I know that would fall into that category (by your definition).

Mickey you make it sound as if I were pointing a finger directly at you? Which I am not. And I would think that by now you know I am trying to make a point and keep it humorous..man we have been battling this out for almost a year now, because you keep jumping on my posts and assuming the worst, almost every time. And if you do not understand nor care for my sense of humor, you will just have to live with the fact that I won't be changing it because you think I am out to belittle the world or you. No offense but I don't have time to waste on any such immature, personal agendas.

Everyone that takes the time to actually get to know me, which you really haven't, knows very well that I am not the person hatefully tearing down other people but usually the one that bends over backwards to help those that ask it. I have never once belittled someone for choosing to operate as they will in this hobby. And I am very vocal about allowing all sorts at events. I have never once condemned someone for choosing to play this game differently than I would choose to play it...Just look at my crewe...My standards apply to me, I don't even push my standards on them.

Would I like to attend a purely immersion style event, yes. I have done so in the past and have enjoyed them immensely, but as of yet, they don't exist in our realm. Do I even call myself a Living Historian...I wish...And as I have stated previously, I am one of the members of the crewe that is usually so busy taking care of business and dealing with the event organizers, that I rarely have time to actually come out and portray any sort of character whether living historian or reenactor. So far the only role I have managed to play lately is contact person and "quasi-business" manager, in most cases I would probably be a whole lot more comfortable and accomplish more, if I just stayed in jeans and shirt at events. Would I like to be able to truly call myself a Living Historian...hopefully one day.

I think Mission says it best: Everyone gets involved with playing pirate for different reasons. None are more or less valid than the others. That goes with being a reenactor or a living historian or a reel. I have always believed this, I always will, and I will always do whatever to support it as well.

So I will stick with my twisted sense of humor, and you can stick with assuming the worst of me, but lets keep it off the board.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

There are events out there that are of that caliber. Certainly, the Alafia Rendezvous stands out. Real shooting competitions, everyone lives onsite for the entire week, come rain, shine, freeze or rain, and there seems to be great authenticity, even in the evening. They even has school during the week. There are pirates there - it's anything pre 1840.

http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/Alafia.html

If you haven't been I highly recommend it by the way.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

So I will stick with my twisted sense of humor, and you can stick with assuming the worst of me, but lets keep it off the board.

Since you have taken the initiative to do the opposite of your own suggestion, I am going to hop on this.

Moderator hat on.

No, I don't assume the worst of you.

Perhaps your sense of humour falls outside of my comfort range or not, I honestly don't know.

My response was keyed specifically at your comment, because there are many here that have and will take offense to comments like that. I am a moderator here, and I am the one who gets the ear-full when someone feels slighted by comments like that. I have to walk a fine line between telling people to go take it up with you themselves, and asking in general to keep definitions and name calling at least somewhat civil.

If you want to take my trying to keep the peace here as a personal attack on you, well, I am sorry, but there is nothing that can be done for it. While I do like you Sterling, my first and foremost responsibility in Twill is to keep a very contentious portion of the pub friendly. If in doing that you feel singled out, well perhaps your problem isn't with me.

Michael_banner.jpg

Hmmm interesting, since I get the pms and the phone calls with very much the same issue regarding you...perhaps we should ignore the others and stick with what Stynky has said.

Crewe of the Archangel

To add to Mission's rather good point of there being no exclusive or universal terms, and the lack of a governing body (I think we all remember how contentious that discussion was), who is to say that an event that is a re-enactment (up-front saying the event expects only on hours standards), but has elements of "Living History" to it. Is the event trying to be misleading by saying it has "Living History" elements to it?

I'm not suggesting that there needs to be an overarching organization, I'm suggesting that if a group of people wish to have strictly defined terms, encampments and behaviors associated with pirate (or any) era re-enacting (which is in many ways a noble goal), they need to set that up an organization that facilitates that. If they can maintain high standards, they would become a desirable organization to those wishing to prove themselves in this arena. It can be done, you just need a really dedicated group of people with a very specifically defined charter.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wow, now there's a change. For once I'm the one who stayed on topic and didn't stir the pot. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I don't know if I would agree that what i do is "rare", but it certainly is not as common as it once was for people like me to exist on as little as possible to survive. It has been out of necessity more than out of desire, trust me. I tried to chase the American dream, but always awoke to a nightmare. The fact is though, that there are thousands of hillbilly white-trash that will have no trouble when the zombies come.LoL

Bo

P.S. You can tell it's spring, these annual tribulations are dead-on schedule. The facial hair discussion is raging on the FF board...again.

I will unselfishly take the fake whores on behalf of all the menfolk here. I know it's a sacrifice.

I have the same problem about fake battles. They look fake. The swordplay isn't spontaneous, it's choreographed. Frankly, I've seen better swordplay in Errol Flynn movies. The same problem with gunfire. The guns are aimed at impossibly high angles for safety reasons to be even believable. It reminds me of playing war as a kid where my brother said bang and I refused to fall down because he missed me.

No matter what everyone here says, living history and re-enactment events have their limitations and can't be authentic by their very nature. It's hard to get into the moment when a jet flies overhead every 10 minutes on the way to the airport. Or at PiP where our cars are all parked within constant view of the encampment.

For true living history or re-enactment, Hawkyns would be right - away from the public and living the period. We did that three years ago at PiP in the fort - all the talk was about period politics, religion, world events. And frankly, it was pretty exhausting. My hat's off to those who can do it that well.

-- Hurricane

I have to agree with you about swordfights. I have spent over 9 years as a stage combat director and there are very few groups out there that take the time to study how cutlass combat would have been done during the GAOP. I have seen a few, but the majority is very "choreographed" and slow paced. I incorporate a number of things into my training for pirates that are performing with me. We take into consideration the space restrictions you would run into on a ship, the type of training one would have expereinced against a simple hack and slash learn from experience style. I have always been happy with my fights and would say that if any skill I do could be listed under "historically accurate" it would be this. Comming from a fencing background helps but most of what I learned was through hours spent with my nose buried in a book and trial and error in the ring. I understand why most groups follow the traditional 1 - 10 style of stage combat (numbers correspond to parts of the body) and it's for safety standards. I have never had an injury that a band aid couldn't fix doing it my way but it takes a huge amount of dedication from the crew.

I would love to see your group in action. I have often had to explain to the public that pirates didn't fence like in the movies. It was a fight for survival and a cutlass was a hacking weapon. Add in biting, kicking, punching and anything else required. There were no noble rules of combat in a fight to the death. And the quicker you could dispatch someone, the better for you.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I couldn't agree more. All of our swordfights include a certain level of rage and kicking, screaming, biting and hitting. You are correct in saying that it was a fight for survival. The style of fencing that was taught during the GAOP was not part of everyone's education and would not have done much good in a fight with a pirate. Showing that "survivalist" style attitude is something we strive for with the public. We have some fights that are more comic but the majorit of them are very realistic and rough. I wouldn't have it any other way though

Well, I'm going to throw this into the discussion, just because..

This is directed at those few who purport to want the full experience. They want to wear PC clothes, talk PC, shun nampy-pamby pirates, and get fully into the "head space" of a GAoP sailor.

Alrighty then..

Remember, this is a "Sod the public, we do this for ourselves, Total Experience event. So, in MHO this is what you would be required to do.

A) Work a ship — This is the biggy. Are you physically fit enough to climb rigging, sweat a line, haul in canvas and perform any other task, including basic maintenance? You would do this for weeks, night or day, good weather or bad, calm seas or rough. You would do this with little sleep, poor food, and do your "business" using a real ship's head.

Letter B (I keep getting a smiley face) Weapons — Sword, cutlass, boarding ax, whatever. Do you have the mental and physical skill to use said weapon with the intent of inflicting bodily harm, while at the same time defending yourself from someone with the same or greater skill, intent in inflicting bodily harm on you?

C) Black powder — Pistols, blunderbuss, etc. Can you break it down, clean it, put it back together, load it, aim, and fire, and hit something other than the broad side of a barn?

D) Guns — Can you load, fire, swab, and reload a cannon, swivel gun, or rail gun?

E) Hand-to-Hand — When the cannons are still, you have fired you last ball, and your cutlass is wedged into someone's ribcage, could you defend yourself fighting hand-to-hand, tooth and nail, against someone trying to exterminate you?

So, step up lads, don't be shy. Who amongst you can truly "Walk the Walk" of a GAoP sailor? Especially point A. Come on, you're a pirate b'Gawd. If ye can't work a ship, then what bloody good are ye? If ye can't work a ship, then your total experience is a bloody sham! ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog