I need a surgeon

sutlerjon

Will someone loan Mission a rusty cutlass?

I gotta have surgery on the nodes in my neck and I think the scar will lend itself to "I survived a boarding action" stories if Mission does it with a rusty cutlass, soaked in rum.

Yes, Mission the cutlass and I, all soaked in rum.

If Mission is busy then I guess the ship's carpenter will have to do.

I will build you a medicine chest if you are successful.

Mission can you be here in Orlando on Monday afternoon?

If not ..... then ..................................... it's off to the hospital with me.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Well, since none of the books I've read so far mention the nodes of the neck, that scar would probably be much larger than if you see your surgeon in Orlando. (I'd have to find something in there that looks like "nodes.") But if you buy me a plane ticket and get me a hotel room, I'll bring the capital knife and we'll see what we can make of it. (You do realize that for it to be a proper period surgery, there will be no anesthesia.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Dr.(?) Mission, no anesthetic?

That's what the rum is for ..... to keep me from feelin' the pain of your fumblin' round in there. An' ta insure that you're happy fumblin'!

These lymph nodes are big enough now that you will have no trouble findin' 'em.

Alas, at this point the "locals" have applied their leeches to me "purse" and there's naught but a few drops left in there. So unless you were comin' to WDW guess I'll have to keep ye posted.

Just wanted ta give ye 1st option ta "practice" yer craft, and a scar from a rusty cutlass or even a big cane knife would make a great conversation starter ...

Maybe Syren can pluck 'em out with the prongs of her trident, hmmmmm ........

Self Promoter Jim

I haven't actually found a lot of references to using alcohol as an anesthetic. (This doesn't mean they didn't use it, it might mean it was so common it wasn't noteworthy. Still, I would think it would have been mentioned by someone... Keep in mind that some people become very combative when drunk, which would have made the surgeon's job more, not less, difficult.) I do find recourse to laudanum after a surgery and many references to the benefit of doing surgery while the patient's mind is still wrapped up in the excitement of a battle. For non-battle surgeries, there's also something about getting the patient's friends and relatives to come to the patient and tell them to 'be strong' and endure the surgery with a good spirit and so forth. The amount of pain that must be enduring during 'actual' cautery is also cited in some surgical manuals as a reason that those surgeons preferred not to do it, suggesting that the patient was still cognizant.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Guess I'll let 'em do it here.

Might've been fun .... get drunk ..... have surgery ...... a good brawl somewhere in the middle ...... drunken pub members shouting encouragement .....

Mr. Cross rooting for the infection ..... Capt. Sterling hopin' that my scar wasn't better than his, because as we all know ... "chicks dig scars"

"Aye, Lass there were more a them da**ed pirate hunters comin' over the rail, my pistol was empty, me cutlass broke (shoulda got one of Matt's) the last thing I remember was takin' a glancin' shot across me neck an' then wakin' up lookin' like this." :D

Or some variation on the theme, whatever it takes >wink, wink< ;)

Self Promoter Jim

to sutlerjon,

best of luck mate, and yes the scars are impressive , heard tell of a potter lass with one that looks like she took on a whole pacel o cutthroats. best of luck again,

mission, medically though not byany means a passion of mine, would not the alchol ingested thin the blood, in an already tricky situatoion? but it is a grand antiseptic, but alas that be alchol abuse.

cheers mates.

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

He'll just train the parrot to talk for him, although no one will figure how...

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks Salty .... guess guys dig scars too, huh. Oh, what a "trophy" the potter got after the "boarding action"! :blink:

Aye, Callenish if I were being treated fer a "social disease" ( see Valentines Day greeting, this forum) I would expect it to be treated in the "same old way" .... or I would've had Dr.(?) Mission bring along his syringe and other torture tools. Don't forget the Mercury!

Thanks for the well wishes Dutch, and please I beg you in the name of all that is holy, keep cousin Robbie away from the O.R.

Can you imagine this scenario? I shudder to think .........

I WENT WITH MR SUTLERJOHN TO THE HOSPITAL AND WHILE THEY WERE OPERATING ON HIM AND I WAS SHOUTING ENCOURAGEMENT LIKE MISSION SAID THAT FRIENDS WOULD DO IN THE OLDEN DAYS I BUMPED THE DOCTOR AND HE ACCIDENTALLY CUT SOME ARTERY OR VEIN AND THEN THEY ALL GOT REAL EXCITED BECAUSE THE DOCTOR SAID HE WAS ALMOST DONE AND THERE WAS A SHOWER OF BLOOD BUT IT ONLY LASTED FOR A FEW MINUTES AND THEN THEY COVERED HIM OVER WITH A SHEET THEN THE LADY IN THE WHITE DRESS TOOK ME OUTSIDE AND THEN THEY GOT ME A PUPPY AND IT LICKED ME ON MY FACE AND IT FELT FUNNY AND I FELT BETTER BECAUSE THEY YELLED AT ME INSIDE THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE I TRACKED BLOOD IN THE HALLWAY AND THEN DUTCH AND GRACE CAME AND TOOK ME HOME ...... yeah no Robbie at the hospital please.

While I don't currently have a Parrot (my Norwegian Blue was "stunned") the Cockatiel is quite mouthy and always has a thing or 2 to say.

Can anyone guess how the therapeutic value of Robbie allowed me to address one of my biggest fears about this? But I still prefer that he be "kept home" tomorrow.

Self Promoter Jim

OHHHHH SUTLER JIM DUTCH SAID YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE SOME THINGS DONE AT THE HOSPITAL AND HE SAID NOT TO BOTHER YOU UNTIL AFTER THE SURGERY HE SAID I MAKE PEOPLE NERVOUS SOMETIMES I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT DON'T YOU WORRY ABOUT A THING I'VE HAD LOTS OF THINGS DONE TO ME AT THE HOSPITAL FIRST THEY WRAP YOU IN A VEST WITH LONG SLEEVES AND YOU GET TO HUG YOURSELF ALL DAY LONG AND THEN THEY PUT YOU IN A ROOM BY YOURSELF AND IF YOU HOLLER IT ECHOES IT SOUNDS REALLY NEAT YOU MAKE MAKE GHOST SOUNDS AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE NOT IN THERE BY YOURSELF BUT IF SOMEONE ACROSS THE HALL JUST SCREAMS AND SCREAMS AND SCREAMS IT GETS ANNOYING AND THEN SOMEONE WILL ASK TO BE LET OUT THEN SOMEONE ALWAYS COMPLAINS ABOUT THE FOOD COME TO THINK OF IT I'M GLAD I GET SENT OUT DURING THE DAY BUT IF I'M NOT BACK HOME BY SUNDOWN THEY COME AND FIND ME DON'T WORRY SUTLER JIM ILL BE RIGHT THERE AFTER YOU COME OUT OF THE ROOM AND TAKE CARE OF YOU I HAVE LOTS OF GAMES WE CAN PLAY AND I KNOW COOKIE WILL SEND SOME SHIPS BISCUITS WITH US I KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THEM WHY YOU WILL BE UP AND GOING IN NO TIME AT ALL WHEN ONE OF DUTCH'S FRIENDS HAD THIS SAME THING DONE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO HE WAS A BIT SLOW TO MEND SO HE SUGGESTED I GO VISIT HIM AND WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT HE WAS UP AND GONE OUT OF THE HOUSE SOON AFTER I GOT THERE THE WHOLE TOWN SAID IT WAS A MIRACLE AND IT WAS A GOOD THING I CAME ALONG WHEN I DID OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE MISSED IT SEEING MIRACLES IS NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO LOTS OF THINGS THAT JUST AREN'T NORMAL WHEN I'M AROUND GRACE SAYS ITS BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT FOLKS ALOT AND DUTCH SAYS ITS MY PERSONALITY THAT MAKES PEOPLE DO AMAZING THINGS SO YOU WILL BE OK AND THEN WHEN YOU ARE READY LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN GO DO SOMETHING FUN AND CROSS CAN EVEN COME ALONG TOO

Thanks Mr. Cross for the words of encouragement. I hope that the rest of your "friends" feel the same way.

Robbie, I'll be at the Daytona Motor Speedway Memorial Hospital, come see me, please oh please.

Not really, I'm going to Winter Park Hospital ..... but Robbie don't need to know that.

Will let y'all know when I get home. Probably a day or two.

I left a bottle of rum for everybody in the tavern, have a drink on me and drink a couple for me. That's a bottle for everyone, yep just one bottle ......each!

Self Promoter Jim

I made it through and am now back at home.

Got a big zipper in my neck now.

But surgeon says no more tumors.

Still kinda sore.

Hope y'all found the rum to your liking.

Got home in time to see Dinner Impossible, IMO editing did not make us out to be a buncha flakes, kudos to "kitchen crew".

Self Promoter Jim

Jim, you were gone??? Hmmm...didn't notice. Glad the sawbones did you right (as right as you'll ever be). If the neck starts hurting, throw away them pills they gave you and go for a natural cure....RUM!!!!!

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Thanks guys .... and Animal

Yeah I threw out all the meds and have only been drinkin' rum punch, I woulda been postin' but then Patrick Hand is the champeen drunken poster 'round these waters.

Must be gettin' better I hear the workshop callin me, sorta like a "Syren" song.

Self Promoter Jim