1stMate's English Cav Pistol Project

1stMate Matt

I recently aquired a rusty but working pistol that I decided was a perfect donor to have some fun with. I figured you all would like to join me on this journey.

I forgot to take pictures of the butcap before I polished it but judging the rest of the gun I think you can imagine how rusty it was...in other words...it was perrrrrfect.

pistol1a.JPG

pistol1b.JPG

pistol1c.JPG

pistol1d.JPG

pistol1e.JPG

pistol1f.JPG

here is the cap removed.

pistol1h.JPG

Here you can see how they brazed the pieces of the cap together.

pistol1g.JPG

After I did some polishing...

pistol1i.JPG

Here she is engraved. I still plan on doing some more engraving but this was an hours worth and my fingers cramped.

To be continued...

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Very nice. Can't wait to see the progress.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Looking Good. I've got that exact same gun (although mines converted to fire blanks) and I am considering doing a bit of custom work on mine too.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Nay tis far too clean to be one of yer guns

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Looking Good. I've got that exact same gun (although mines converted to fire blanks) and I am considering doing a bit of custom work on mine too.

OK, I'll bite. What do you need to do to 'convert' a muzzleloader to fire blank? All you need to do is not put the ball in.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

OK, I'll bite. What do you need to do to 'convert' a muzzleloader to fire blank? All you need to do is not put the ball in.

Hawkyns

So your saying that without your balls you be firing blanks? (sorry, I had to say it)

Perfect. Lets do it together. Hury up and catch up, next I am doing the trigger guard.

My plan is to show how you can alter something pretty fast and make it much nicer. Sure, some of the detailing you will have to work harder at because you wont have the machines that I do, but most will be done with sand paper and a file.

thatworks.shop

ha ha thats funny.

The gun laws over here are a bit nuts so its not easy to get a firearms license. A gunsmith decided to see if there was a way around letting reenactors fire period weapons without the need for a firearms license. Basically he took the frizzen cover off the lock and replaced it with a milled out peice of metal that holds a 9mm blank. The hammer has a welded in metal "flint" that strikes the blank. Means that us newbies can at least have something that goes Bang without the trauma of trying to get a firearms license.

bannerad.jpg

Tis nice, Matt. Glad it functions. Nothin's worse than a non-functionin' pistol... especially when it continuously shatters yo'r flint!

Curious t' see what it will look like as th' finished product... well, sort of finished. Depends upon how far ye get with it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I had a few pms of people asking me to make sure the spring isnt too hard. Some said that pistol often comes with a spring that is too hard so it breaks flints like crazy. No issue here. I will walk you all through the steps on how to temper the spring back a little so it's a none issue.

thatworks.shop

I had a few pms of people asking me to make sure the spring isnt too hard. Some said that pistol often comes with a spring that is too hard so it breaks flints like crazy. No issue here. I will walk you all through the steps on how to temper the spring back a little so it's a none issue.

I own two of these pistols, and I haven't had any issue with the main spring being too hard either. I have however found that the sear spring can be a little soft. On the one I bought used, the sear spring pretty much needs to be replaced, on the one I bought from Callenish Gunner, while the spring still works, it is starting to go soft and could probably use some re-tempering or replacing after a year of hard use.

Michael_banner.jpg

I am trying to get som many projects finished for Fells Point so I am taking some shortcuts and just modifying the easy parts before the event.

Here is the trigger guard polished and engraved. I still want to engrave some things on the points of the gaurd, but that may have to wait untill after Fells. We shall see.

pistol1j.JPG

It was hard to get a good picture of this engraving. It is much cleaner then it looks here. This is my Logo with some classic scroll work on either side.

pistol1k.JPG

"1st Mate Matt" with a scroll on either side!

I cant wait to antique all of these shiney parts! It is going to look sooO good. All of the bright engraving will go black and the shiney will go grey.

thatworks.shop

There's more than one way to polish an old rusty metal barrel, from elbow grease to machine, to blasting with some kind of grit, etc. What are you using? It looks to be a very good result.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I am using 320 grit sanding belts on my 3x132" bader belt space savers. Then going to a 3 stage scotchbrite wheel set up on a 1.25 hp spindle buffer. Then to a cloth buffing wheel on a 1 hp spindle buffer.

I cheat.

thatworks.shop

Looks cool. I havent started engraving mine yet as I got an event coming up and dont want it in pieces so close to it.

I did however add a Sea Service belt hook to the left side of the gun (being 6'6" it doesnt look to huge cliped onto my belt)

bannerad.jpg