1stMate's English Cav Pistol Project

1stMate Matt

Traditionally would a pistol that size have a belt clip? Pictures I have seen always show it being carried in a satchel style holster slung over the shoulder. Could be wrong though

I think these pistols were only actually carried on a horse in a holster attached to the saddle so the belt hooks not really correct but its easier than having to carry it round in your hand all the time.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I am using 320 grit sanding belts on my 3x132" bader belt space savers. Then going to a 3 stage scotchbrite wheel set up on a 1.25 hp spindle buffer. Then to a cloth buffing wheel on a 1 hp spindle buffer.

I cheat.

Great results!

Thanks for the note.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I am thinking about adding a belt hook to mine. I know it's not the norm, but niether am I.

Good idea !! I installed belt hooks on all of my pistols. Makes for much easier carrying. They may not have been "original issue" on everything, but the fact that they existed in period is sufficient excuse to have them. I figure that once a pistol got out of the hands of the military, any reasonable modification was not only possible, but probable....

>>>> Cascabel

I am thinking about adding a belt hook to mine. I know it's not the norm, but niether am I.

True, I guess you could really add anything you want and call it period as long as the item existed....makes for some unique thoughts about combo pistols

Good idea !! I installed belt hooks on all of my pistols. Makes for much easier carrying. They may not have been "original issue" on everything, but the fact that they existed in period is sufficient excuse to have them. I figure that once a pistol got out of the hands of the military, any reasonable modification was not only possible, but probable....

>>>> Cascabel

• 2 months later...

Even in the military, French cavalry pistols converted to sea duty included adding a belt hook, many examples exist on the market today and are well documented.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a plan then. I have not done anything on my pistol recently. I did however get a chance to fully upgrade Talderoys pistol. It is the same as mine with some antiquing done to it. I will prob start a new thread for that one though. Neat. Love these big guns.

I would like to do more of this work for sure!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop