j8ksdad's new cutlass

1stMate Matt

J8ksdad asked me to make him my version of the cutlass that Larry Nowicki did in the fall issue of Pirates Magazine. What he didnt know is that sword was a copy of one that I had done before that was a copy of an original. So this sword is a copy of a copy of a copy. He wanted a few things refined and a stage combat worthy blade with a faceted pommel. This is what I came up with.

I took some shots of it with the Cable damascus sword that Larry made, so you could see the changes and how close I got them. Would make a nice lil pair!

j8ksdadcut1a.JPG

j8ksdadcut1b.JPG

j8ksdadcut1c.JPG

j8ksdadcut1d.JPG

j8ksdadcut1e.JPG

The handle is Oak and yes she rings!

Nice sword. I enjoyed making it and I will be making more for general stock soon.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Happy birthday to me indeed! I love it. Can't wait to get me hands on it. Thanks so much Matt!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Beautiful! I keep dreaming of commissioning a battle-ready Epee du Soldat from either you or Tony Swatton, but sadly I don't think I'll ever have the dubloons.

Love your work! And I LOVE the faceted pommel!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Bartering is very good.... Not sure I have any skills, materials, or possessions worth bartering for, but perhaps someday...

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Just opened the box. I LOVE IT! Giggling like a little girl. I sent pics to lots of people.

Now my 5 year old son wants one. Should I make him wait until he's 40?

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Will do. Thanks again Matt for a beautiful piece of art.

Just opened the box. I LOVE IT! Giggling like a little girl. I sent pics to lots of people.

Now my 5 year old son wants one. Should I make him wait until he's 40?

My son is 5 and started practcing with Daddy and participating in my stage combat classes at 4. He has a wooden cutlass he uses now but I'll probably upgrade him when he turns ten

My son and I practice with wood swords and LARP (foam covered PVC pipe) all the time. Now he wants a steel one because it isn't sharp and he likes the sound. I think I would end up getting hurt somewhere alone the line.

• 3 weeks later...
I enjoyed making it and I will be making more for general stock soon.

Any chance you can let me know when they're available?

I have one right now just like this but with a hickery handle.

A few questions for ye then: How long is the sword? Does it come with a scabbard? And much are ye asking?

I was going to PM you but the forum didn't let me.