Military Through the Ages

michaelsbagley

I had considered going to this, but real life got in the way... However, I have followed the event (mostly through Facebook) and now that the results are in I am happy.

There were no less than three GAoP groups that placed.

See list of winners here

There were three major categories for contests, with each category divided into three general time-frame sub-categories. But the GAoP was very well represented!

The Sea Rats Atlantic, won third place in the "Best Uniform/Clothing Impression" category!

The Archangel Crew won first place in the best camp cooking category.

And the "York Privateers" won third place in the "Best Encampment (material culture and Interpretation)" category.

Congrats to all the winners, and specially those who through winning have brought GAoP re-enacting that little bit more into the mainstream.

Michael_banner.jpg

I had considered going to this, but real life got in the way... However, I have followed the event (mostly through Facebook) and now that the results are in I am happy.

See list of winners here

There were three major categories for contests, with each category divided into three general time-frame sub-categories. But the GAoP was very well represented!

The Sea Rats Atlantic, won third place in the "Best Uniform/Clothing Impression" category!

And the "York Privateers" won third place in the "Best Encampment (material culture and Interpretation)" category.

Congrats to all the winners, and specially those who through winning have brought GAoP re-enacting that little bit more into the mainstream.

There were also two boats in the camps. The Sea Rats brought one and an early 19th century group brought another.

I wasn't with any of the GAoP groups but I got to crew the largest and loudest artillery piece. Jamestown's saker is a monster of a piece.

Mark

See list of winners here

Thanks Mickey, wish you and Kate could have made it we had a terrific time and learned a lot, especially on how to deal with the judges and hearing all their comments was a great learning experience. They really help you with great points on how to interact better with the public. We went with the mindset to learn and we did...not only did we score high but we learned exactly where we need to make fixes. They were most impressed with our range of characters and the distinctions between them and how we kept the public hanging in our camp laughing whilst they were learning... the correction comment...more dirt, more cargo and more degree of difficulty... Our best compliment..."Where the hell have you guys been hiding all these years?"

My hat is off to the 'Angels...they worked hard and kept the crowds in the camp. A hearty congratulations to Cookie, Cheeky and Brig for the cooking demo...the food was out of this world even when you looked in the cauldron and asked..."What the hell is that?!? Is that the laundry?" One of the food judges even stopped by Saturday evening and asked for the left overs!

Have already begun corrections for next year and now going back to bed....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Great event...even though I am still exhausted...*(oh my feet are still hurting)! Cookie and Brig were a blast to work with! Lots to do in the future, but I would say that everyone was engaging and had a lovely time of it. Finally met up with Mr. Cross...(OMG!) and I must say, a wonderful gent. I do it again in a heartbeat!

Lots of great memories and great to see everyone again! Let's do it again next year.

Thank you to everyone!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Yes good work to all. Cookie you did a fantastic job of it mate. Thanks for a great event..... I miss you all something terrible.

Ha... see how long ye miss me fer... Have I got TONS of work fer ye Quartermaster...now get a bit of sleep...it will not be lasting long...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

OOHHH IT WAS A GOOD EVENT, BUT I WASN'T ALLOWED IN THE CAMP COUSIN JOHNNY SAID I HAD TO STAY OUTSIDE AND NOT TALK TO ANY ONE ESPECIALLY NOT THE FINE FOLKS WITH THE BLUE RIBBONS THAT SAID JUDGE SO I WENT AND SAW WHAT THERE WAS TO SEE I SAW MARKG WORKING THE SAKER OH IT WAS GRAND AND HE WAS SMILING AND THE SEA RATS WERE THERE THEY SEEMED TO BE HAVING FUN AND I TALKED TO THEM FOR A WHILE AND ONE OF THEM REMEMBERED ME IT HAD BEEN A WHILE SINCE I SAW HIM AND THE CREW OF THE OTTER HAD THEIR LONG BOAT THERE AND THEY WERE NICE TOO AND THE DONUT DOLLIES FROM THE SALVATION ARMY WERE THERE FROM WWI AND THEY LIKED ME THEY SAID I WAS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF AN IMPOVERISHED INDIGENT THEY HAD EVER SEEN AND THEY ASKED ME WHERE I HAD GOTTEN MY CLOTHES FROM AND I SAID THE ASYLUM AND THEY LAUGHED AND I SAID NO PEOPLE FROM THE PARISH DONATE TO THE ASYLUM ALL THE TIME TO KEEP US OUT OF THE STREETS THEY ARE AFRAID WE WILL GET HIT BY A CARRIAGE OR SOMETHING SO THEY GAVE ME A DONUT AND THERE WAS ONE GROUP THERE THAT WAS DRESSED LIKE COUSIN JOHNNYS FRIENDS.... WELL NOT REALLY DRESSED LIKE THEM.... WELL UM THEY SAID THEY WERE PRIVATEERS.... BUT THEY SANG SONGS AND THE CIVIL WAR GUYS MARCHED RIGHT BY SINGING THE EXACT SAME SONG SO THE PRIVATEERS STOPPED SINGING THAT SONG BUT IT WAS A GOOD TIME

I smell clams! Goody Brig...are you about? Thanks again for playing with Bess and doing Maddogge's laundry. God only knows how long his drawers have seen a good cleaning.

With very little time away from the cooking and the washing...I did have time to meet and greet with Mark and Sara (I didn't even know who they were at first when they approached - they were wearing funny clothes) and Master Hawkyns, who engaged our crewe with after-hours company on Saturday evening.

After hours we were invaded by WWI Germans and Lord Gray's group, who were fully entertaining as always.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

ARRRRGGGG the event is over and they are still sending me forms to complete...

Crewe of the Archangel

Every muscle is screaming and my hands still have ash embedded in the nails and callouses even after scrubbing with a brush. I may need to break down and have a manicure done. Finally, yes, the rumors are true, the ladies still love me, I have a yard arm to match my oranges.

Fionnsignturea.png?t=1252109128

Finn: HA!

Sterling: What the heck could they possibly sending you?

Participant survey

oh and a special thanks to Dogge for not dying at the dinner table

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye, it were good to see all o' ye and I'm that grateful for the hospitality of Saturday night.

Sterling, ye have a fine crew!

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye, it were good to see all o' ye and I'm that grateful for the hospitality of Saturday night.

Sterling, ye have a fine crew!

Hawkyns

and fine crewe needs fine company...it was a pleasure getting to spend some down time with you!

Crewe of the Archangel

with absolutely NO HELP from anyone at the table i might add.... :blink:

Sterling in the middle of telling a story about drummerboys...

meanwhile....

..my throat closing.......

....caint swallow meat.....

......hard to breath.......

........drinking glass of water to wash down meat....

..........no good.............

............caint swallow water....

..............now caint breath with mouth full of water....

.................drowning at dinner table.................

....................water spewing everywhere................

:blink:

Jack & Cheecky run to cover their plates!!!.....Sterling: "what? dont like drummerboys?"

:blink:

remind me never to be near you while having a near death experience again...sheesh

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Every muscle is screaming and my hands still have ash embedded in the nails and callouses even after scrubbing with a brush. I may need to break down and have a manicure done. Finally, yes, the rumors are true, the ladies still love me, I have a yard arm to match my oranges.

That's our Finn. Next time...remember to wear the chest hair!

Member of "The Forsaken"

with absolutely NO HELP from anyone at the table i might add.... dry.gif

Sterling in the middle of telling a story about drummerboys...

meanwhile....

..my throat closing.......

....caint swallow meat.....

......hard to breath.......

........drinking glass of water to wash down meat....

..........no good.............

............caint swallow water....

..............now caint breath with mouth full of water....

.................drowning at dinner table.................

....................water spewing everywhere................

blink.gif

Jack & Cheecky run to cover their plates!!!.....Sterling: "what? dont like drummerboys?"

blink.gif

remind me never to be near you while having a near death experience again...sheesh

Gee....I didn't do a damn thing because I was waiting for Cousin Robbie to show up and save the day!

Member of "The Forsaken"

my 3 and a half year old daughter now thinks i am TRULY the Coolest Daddy EVER!!!

1. her Daddy is a Pyrate

2. seen her Daddy on TV

3. just saw a Picture that proves her Daddy knows that guy from Yo Gabba Gabba!!!!

that last one really impressed her.... :blink:

P3208073.jpg

YO GABBA GABBA (for those without a 3 year old) is a childrens show on Nickalodeon:

yo-gabba-gabba-characters-mainImage.jpg

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg