New Pirate/Maritime Books

Red Maria

I'm going to start listing books that The Huntiington receiveds that might be of interest to all of us. These mybe books on piracy but will also be books of maritime interest.

Here is a few to begin with:

The Global Schooner: Origins, Development, Design, & Construction, 1695-1845 by Karl Marquardt Naval Institute Press : Conway Maritime Press, 2003 ISBN 1591143284

Sea Life in Nelson's Time by John MasefieldNaval Institute Press, 2002

ISBN 155750126

Pirate Wars by Peter Erle Methuen Publishing Ltd., 2003 ISBN 041375880x

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what I need, more books! <_< It's not like I don't spend enough money already now you go and list more. Oh well, there are worse things to spend money on and reading keeps me off the streets. Keep the list coming, one day I may just catch up with all the reading I wish to do.

By the way have you heard of a book called "Tall Ship Down" (I think thats right) I can't remember the authors name though. It was highly recommended to me but , I just can't seem to find it. :ph34r: Any ideas?

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Thanks!

I'm told it's about recent shipwrecks and sinkings, like The Pride Of Baltimore and the ship that was the bases of the movie The White Squal. The girl who recomended it to me is just a test and some paperwork away from getting her captians license for sailing tail ships, so she knows a thing or to about them. It's supposed to be very good reading. We'll see.

All the books I have listed have been published since 2000 so they should all be in print:

Archaeology and the social history of ships by Richard A. Gould Cambridge University Press, 2000 ISBN 0521561035 (hardback) 0521567890 (pbk.)

Honor among thieves :Captain Kidd, Henry Every, and the Pirate Democracy in the Indian Ocean by Jan Rogoziñski Stackpole Books, 2000 ISBN 0811715299

The prize of all the oceans : the dramatic true story of Commodore Anson's voyage round the world and how he seized the Spanish treasure galleon by Glyn Williams Viking, 2000 ISBN 0670891975

She captains : heroines and hellions of the sea by Joan Druett Simon & Schuster, 2000 ISBN 0684856905

Women sailors and sailors' women :|ban untold maritime history by David Cordingly Random House, 2001

ISBN 0375500413

Rough medicine : surgeons at sea in the age of sail by Joan Druett Routledge, 2000 ISBN 0415924510

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Encyclopedia of the sea written and illustrated by Richard Ellis A.A. Knopf, 2000 ISBN 0375403744

Bandits at sea :a pirates reader edited by C.R. Pennell New York University Press, 2001 ISBN 0814766781 (pbk) 081476679X (hardback)

The autobiography of a seaman by Admiral Lord Cochrane ; introduced by Richard Woodman Chatham Pub., 2000

ISBN 1861761562 (pbk.) (not a pirate but the model for Patrick O'Brien's Jack Aubrey)

The riddle of the compass : the invention that changed the world by Amir D. Aczel Harcourt, 2001 ISBN 0151005060

Enter the press-gang :naval impressment in eighteenth-century British literature by Daniel James Ennis University of Delaware Press ; London [England] :Associated University Presses, 2002 ISBN 0874137551

Cochrane : the life and exploits of a fighting captain by Robert Harvey. Carroll & Graf, 2001. ISBN 0786709235 (pbk.)

The lost fleet : the discovery of a sunken armada from the golden age of piracy by Barry Clifford William Morrow, 2002

ISBN 0060198184

How to read a nautical chart :|ba complete guide to the symbols, abbreviations, and data displayed on nautical charts by Nigel Calder International Marine/McGraw-Hill, 2003 ISBN 0071376151 (pbk)

Rare Book Review v.29:1 Jan. 2004 has an article on piracy in literature and in fact and fiction. It even made the cover!

The only thing wrong with it is that it listed The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton as a book of note of pirate fiction. The Buccaneers is about a group of rich youg women in the 1870's who go to England to catch titled English men in marriage. I e-mailed the publisher about that and suggested that The Pirate by Sir Walter Scoot or Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates would have been better choices. :D

Let me know if you want pre- year 2000 titles.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I've read Barry Clifford's " The Lost Fleet" it was really good. In it he talks about some of the oldtime Buccaneers that you never seem to hear of who had some vary interesting lives and careers. Kidd and Blackbeard are boring compaired to some of these guys. Unfortunately I had checked it out of the library and my memory for names is to say the least embarassing, so I can't give names. But trust me on this one it is a very good book with alot of history of buccaneers in it that is not really written about.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm getting a lttle tired of picking up books about pirates and all they talk about are Blackbeard and Kidd ,Bonney and Read as though they were the only ones to sail under the black flag.

Keep up the good work Maria this is becoming one of my favorite threads. Good on ya Lass. :huh:

Here's a few more for you:

The history of English sea ordnance, 1523-1875 by Adrian B.

Caruana Rotherfield, England : Jean Boudriot Publications, 1994-1997 ISBN 0948864206 (cloth : v. 1) 0948864192 (leather : v. 1) 0948864214 (leather : v. 2) 0948864222 (cloth : v. 2)

The tall ships by Thaddeus Koza

East Hartford, Conn. :Tide-mark Press,|cc1996 ISBN 1559493135

Pirates, privateers & rebel raiders of the Carolina coast by Lindley S. Butler Chapel Hill [N.C.] :University of North Carolina Press, 2000 ISBN 0807825530 (hardback : alk. paper) 0807848638 (pbk. : alk. paper)

Medicine under sail by Zachary B. Friedenberg

Annapolis, Md. : Naval Institute Press, 2002 ISBN 1557502978 (alk. paper)

Henry Morgan's raid on Panama--geopolitics and colonial ramifications, 1669-1674 by Sandra Marie Petrovich

Lewiston, N.Y. ; Lampeter, Wales : E. Mellen Press,|cc2001 ISBN 545914

Seafaring, sailors and trade, 1450-1750 : studies in British and European maritime and imperial history by G.V. Scammell

Aldershot, Hampshire, Great Britain ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate/Variorum, 2003 ISBN 0860788970 (alk. paper)

Sir Francis Drake : the Queen's pirate by Harry Kelsey

New Haven, Conn. : Yale University Press, 1998 ISBN 0300071825 (cloth : alk. paper)

Sir John Hawkins : Queen Elizabeth's slave trader by Harry Kelsey

New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, 2003 ISBN 0300096631 (hardback : alk. paper)

That might be it for a little while.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Maria m'love yr reliably amazin :)

Ive been readin a host of cruisn books of late, includin the account of the first single hand round the world race "A Race for Madmen" and the chronicles of the voyage of the "Unlikely" called "Unlikely Passages"

Actually started measurin and cuttin out bulkheads today. Might (I said MIGHT) actually get this beast Im buildin in the water by summer's end.

Keep em comin maria. If I go cruisn, Ill need books fer the passage :P

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

With any list of the good must come the bad well at least one I think of as bad. It's Blackbeard and Other Pirates of the Atlantic Coast by Nancy Roberts. Her style reminds me of the short stories that preceed the actual search for wrecks in Cusslers The Sea Hunters only with much less style wit and talent. Only my intrest in the subject could see me through it. On a better note if you wanna read something of a more modearn slant try A Time to Die (the untold story of the Kurusk.) Well written and very informative just don't read it before trying to sleep.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

This just came in:

Heart of oak : a sailor's life in Nelson's navy / James P. McGuane

New York : Norton, 2002 ISBN 2002016621

Tons of photos from actually period objects. Everything from eating utensils to rigging and sail.

Also:

Gunpowder & galleys : changing technology & Mediterranean warfare at sea in the 16th century / John Frances Guilmartin

London : Conway Maritime, 2003 ISBN 1-59114-347-0

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I read Blackbeard and Other Pirates of the Atlantic Coast by Nancy Roberts, and I also found it to be the worst book on pirates I'd ever read. Blackbeard's last words were changed (Damn to darn) and Tew reaches for his revolver and his binoculars. I actually didn't read beyond that. If yer gonna write about pirates, you might try crackin' a book on weapons and accoutrements appropriate for the time period. She wrote books on ghosts before that. Seems to me she also got pretty literary and made up situations and dialogue that were pretty bogus.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Hey saw this and thought you might be intrested Spanish Galleon 1530-1690 saw it in the osprey catalog supposed to be avalible in march.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_deta...e=S6372&ser=NVG

Oooh ...

I like. It's a wonderful thing when those enemy ships are shown in detail ... weaknesses and all. Makes the plundering all the more tempting! :D

Wartooth

These are older books but should still be available:

Those vulgar tubes :external sanitary accommodations aboard European ships of the fifteenth through seventeenth centuries by Joe J. Simmons III

College Station : Texas A&M University Press ; London : Chatham Pub., 1998, c1997 ISBN 0890967881 (pbk. : alk. paper) ( Makes you appreciate modern plumbing even on a tall ship :ph34r: )

Aak to Zumbra : dictionary of the world's watercraft / the Mariners' Museum ; with contributions by M.H. Parry and others ; illustrations by M.H. Par

Newport News, Va. : Mariners' Museum, 2000 ISBN 2001031471

Martin Frobisher : Elizabethan privateer by James McDermott

New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, 2001 ISBN 0300083807 (hardback : alk. paper)

Catalogue of East India Company ships' journals and logs, 1600-1834 by Anthony Farrington

London [England] : British Library, 1999 ISBN 0712346465

(Know who you are pilliging!)

Ships' bilge pumps : a history of their development, 1500-1900 by Thomas J. Oertling

College Station :Texas A&M University Press, 1996 ISBN 0890967229

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• 2 weeks later...

Have just been reading

"The Secret Voyage of Sir. Francis Drake 1577-1580" by Bawlf

Based on some relatively new research. Absolutely fascinating.

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

I've just started reading " Patrick O'Brian's Navy..The Illustrated Compaion to Jack Aubrey's World" by Richard O'Neal, published by Courage Books. So far so good.

I've also picked up " British Nepoleonic Ship-Of-Line" by Angus Konstam and published by Osprey Publishing. Haven't read it yet but I've yet to be dissappointed yet by anything from Osprey. This is from the same series as hitmans book on the Spanish Galleon.

Best to know the weaknesses and strengths of those who might come after you as well Wartooth, don't you agree?

• 3 weeks later...

The archaeology of the Mary Rose /series editor Julie Gardiner

Portsmouth :The Mary Rose Trust, 2003-

This is a 5 volume set that is being published out of sequence. Volumes 1 & 5 are published with v. 3 & 4 due out sometime this year. I am particularlly interested in v.3 titled Weapons of Warre. It's a bit on the technical side but many good pics of restored items.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Just checked The secret voyage out from the library and picked up confederate raider from osprey. Man I need more money the book bill around here is so bad its pathetic!

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to look into those, Longarm.

Hitman , that Confederate Raider book is just what we confederate privateers need to know about!

And if anyone wants to know about US, we're at

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile but a couple of New things came in

Naval ceremonies, customs, and traditions by Royal W. Connell and William P. Mack 6th ed

Annapolis, Md. : Naval Institute Press, 2004 ISBN 1557503303

The frigate Diana by David White (Anatomy of the ship)

London :|bConway Maritime Press, 1987 ISBN 0851773567

Complete withh A 1/96 scale fold out plan

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Just finished reading Nathaniel Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea" The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. This is the true story "Moby Dick" was based on. Highly recommend it. I guarentee when you've finish reading it, you'll be glad your a pyrate, and not a whaler.

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.