Flintlocks from the J.M. Davis Arms Museum

Daniel

I went to the J.M. Davis Arms Museum in Claremore, Oklahoma for my birthday, which alleges that it is the largest private collection of guns anywhere in the world. There were quite a few flintlocks, although most of them are post-period.

Here, though, is a real find.

100_3515.jpg

100_3514.jpg

This is the first real snaphaunce that I've ever personally seen. It's six feet long and has 4 barrels, and I imagine it was used as a fowling piece. They don't know how old it is, but it surely must be early 17th century.

Other interesting items:

100_3509.jpg

A two-inch flintlock grenade launcher, supposedly for anti-ship use. Date unknown.

100_3517.jpg

A collection of powder flasks. Date unknown.

100_3512.jpg

A flintlock blunderbuss. Date unknown.

100_3535.jpg

The upper piece is an English holster pistol from the 1760s or 1770s.

Dang, I see some familiar stuff, first the 75 cal. snaphaunce musket I made for shay at 6 feet, next the grenade launcher Im working on using original lock parts, and finally the "hip" fired blunderbus and boxlock that Im starting to cast very soon. Beautiful original pieces

id.jpg

GORGEOUS!

They actually have one nice snaphaunce at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, but only one. Most of the stuff I saw when I was there was either pre or post period.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

J. M. Davis is one of the many surprises here in Oklahoma. It is nice to wander and take in all the arms they have from all periods of history. Glad you got to enjoy you natal day at such a wonderful place!

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

:rolleyes: Oooooo..

Larger than the collection at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin?

Those are some nice pieces of period hardware. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!