Baggy britches

Patrick Hand

I just finished a pair of semi-period trowsers (French fly, and pockets)....but machine sewn and cotton instead of linen......

I know the seat is sopose to be baggy... but dang..... these are WAY baggy....( and I followed the cutting diagram, so they are cut as close as possible)

So my question.... does anyone else wear period trowsers or breaches? and if so, do you just ignore any coments about the baggy butt?

I just went and looked at a pair of period knickers (mens, but I be a lady). Decided they were WAY to baggy for me (I don't want to look like I have a fat butt) so I decided to purchase ladies period under garment knickers. I'm going to wear them like men's knickers and be dammed if I get arrested by the sheriff for indecent exposure.

Know that doesn't help much, but said it anyways.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Depends on the date. 16th and early 17th C breeches are amazingly baggy. Restoration can be tight or baggy, depends on the style. As you get into the 18th C, they tend to get tighter as the century progresses, but the legs tighten up first and then the butt. Of course, you can always go with late 18th C cavalry breeches. They were made of deerskin and so tight that they had to be put on wet and then left to dry and shrink around the legs. But yeah, baggy is correct for most of the period. Too baggy depends on the cut and how they fit you. I tend to deal a lot with silhouettes to determine if my patterns are right. Look at your shadow and see if it looks like the paintings.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Don't want a saggy butt (lol). You can always modify the pattern. When I get a new pattern I always trace it to another piece of paper or have a over sized copy made on a blueprint copier. Then use the copy. I have breeches, slops, knickers, kilts, etc. I strive to be as accurate as I can. Within my budget. But also take in a comfort factor. If I have to alter a pattern slightly so the clothes fit more comfortably. Then that's what I do. If I'm not comfortable with what I'm wearing I'm not going to have a good time. Remember, just because a pattern exists doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. Many clothes wear altered to fit the wearer. Allot of what pirates wore was in whatever prize they took or could buy or barter for. So they may have to find something close and alter it.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I could cut some of the rise in the back out, and they wouldn't be quite as baggy, but the pattern that I used, and the one from "Sketchbook 76" both show the butt cut the same way.

They may be a period cut, but the fit is so wierd with such a baggy butt that I'm thinking of sacrificing some of the authentisity.....

They are not uncomfortable..... they fit right.... and they are semi-period ..... but they still look like there is a "load" in the seat......

I just went and looked at a pair of period knickers (mens, but I be a lady). Decided they were WAY to baggy for me (I don't want to look like I have a fat butt) so I decided to purchase ladies period under garment knickers. I'm going to wear them like men's knickers and be dammed if I get arrested by the sheriff for indecent exposure.

Know that doesn't help much, but said it anyways.

:(:P:(

Well done lass!!

I've been sword fighting in a pair of *lacey* drawers for some time now and they are the most comfortable things!

Besides, 'tis a fine thing to add a mite of dash to your presense.. they will remember you lass, Aye!! They WILL remember you!! LOL!! :P (wistfully thinking back to all the sailors this wench has caught off guard) :P

Eamil me if you'd like a few *ideas* on how to display.... :)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

They are not uncomfortable..... they fit right.... and they are semi-period ..... but they still look like there is a "load" in the seat......

Yez. Sounds about right t'me. It's part o' the balancin' act. How much of yer modern ideas are ye ready to ignore to look period? Personally, I like the baggy seat. Makes fightin' easier, almost like a kicking crotch in a gi or martial arts jeans.

Now, me, I'm a lot more particular about how I look in kit than how I look the rest of the time. Since the job is to support the lifestyle/hobby, I'm more interested in looking correct for musters and events than I am in the office. No corporate geek clothing f' me, thank ye very much.

Hawkyns

:(

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I guess the real question is, when you sit down in a chair in them, or squat down like you're picking something up, do they ride *downwards* and show more of your *ahem* tailbone than you'd like?

Baggy pants = no plumber's crack while riding a horse. I guess that extra room in the seat is intentional for that.

I find this thread useful today because as we speak I'm trying to fit a pair of men's breeches to my not so mannish frame. The extra room in the seat is actually useful when you're a lady with a somewhat curvy figure. What I'm also happy about is that breeches seem to have a waistline that hits higher than your regular waist. Great for wearing under bodices.

Anybody know any good patterns for breeches?

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

The bottom of the waistband generally comes about where a normal belt line is. I wear a belt over them, either a 1 inch belt under a doublet or a 2 inch belt if just breeches and shirt. Never had them ride down yet. Great for keeping your back warm when squatting around a fire.

Hawkyns

;)

rod_21.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since I had me breeches made, I 'ave lost over 40 pounds...I be lookin' rather svelte and all manly-buff, but now it's almost comical how loose me breeches be. :ph34r: I needs to be havin' them "taken up."

In the seam, you scoundrels! In the seam!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Depends on how well the pattern is made...I made a pair recently from what I found out was a really bad pattern...terrible fit :angry: ...had to scrap the whole project.

The next pattern I purchased is mid to late 1600's and yes they are baggy and tight right at the knee. Felt realy funny at first but then I noticed once I whore them sailing the extra room was extremly comfortable. You can squat, climb rigging, pull lines, run, jump, just about anything you need to do. Now I wouldn't want ta trade them for modern tight fitting pants...Sailing anyways. Long story short, keep wearing them you do get used ta them. :)

:ph34r:

Signaturecopy.gif

As others have discovered, the bagginess was for freedom of movement when sitting, squatting, etc. And also, bear in mind that unlike the way we usually dress when we do events in the warm weather, the baggy seat was usually concealed by a coat.

>>>> Cascabel

Depends on the date.  16th and early 17th C breeches are amazingly baggy.  Restoration can be tight or baggy, depends on the style.  As you get into the 18th C, they tend to get tighter as the century progresses, but the legs tighten up first and then the butt. 

:) Very true. I think from what I have seen with many men re-enacting the colonial era, depends upon the need of seat space.

Of course, you can always go with late 18th C cavalry breeches.  They were made of deerskin and so tight that they had to be put on wet and then left to dry and shrink around the legs.

DAMN! No wonder Banastre Tarleton's portrait painting by Reynolds looks like his breeches are SO tight that they were spray painted on his legs! :huh: Made him look damn sexy that way! :)

But.. aye... I've noticed & read in some books about clothing of the era that riding breeches had more extra room in the seat than normal breeches.

.  But yeah, baggy is correct for most of the period.  Too baggy depends on the cut and how they fit you.

:) Again, Hawkyns is spot on there. Bravo, mate!

Though not really familiar with early 18th c or 17th yet, since mostly still researching the Rev War era... denim blue jeans tight or whatever... hehehe, NOT GOOD! Don't worry m'boy-o if they look odd compared to this day & age.

Plus... Sketchbook '76... it's ok, but I won't exactly go by it. It kinda gives you an idea what they look like. I used a Ladies version of that, the Distaff Sketchbook... again, gives you an idea... but is not exact. Hence why I will buy a pattern, be it from Townsend or just at the local fabric store. If I get one of these modern patterns, one who can sew can easily alter it with the help of the Sketchbook.

"Costume Close-up..." by LindaBaumgarten, John Watson & Florine Carr... has some fantastic details on costume of the 18th c from 1750 - 1790. Gives you an idea of the breeches, since it shows a couple actual pair from the era.

Keep researching, Mate... keeps you in touch & giving you ideas. There are the fly drops & the button fronts. But not sure how far back they go. I don't think earlier than the F & I/7 years war.

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I love my simple sailor's slops.

loose,easy to make and not too bad looking.

my favorite is the red velvet one

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

This post should go under "Plunder." Sorry, had to do tha'. :ph34r:

I suppose that many breeches from the 17th and 18th century were baggy, especially in the butt because some sailors wore them and needed room to work in them withou' strainin' the cloth too much.

If ye want them t' fit better, try slicing open the seam carefully and sewing them closer together for a tighter fit, bu' still have them relatively loose. I don' think they'll look too historically inaccurate, far as I'm concerned.

If ye want a resource for linen for greater costuming accuracy, try Jas Townsend, if not, try some sort of discount fabric shops. here in Los Angeles there is a fabric district where you can get linen for as cheap as $3/yd., bu' there are also some specialized fabric shops that sell linen and other natural weaves.

Captain Wolfy Wench