Babies!

LadyBrower

I'm not saying it is not healthy to go out with a new born, I'm saying it will change your reenacting experience. To think the contrary would be naive.

I had a reality check (and a small baby blues) when my son was around 3 month old and I realise I could not go back to my ancient way of life. I must admit I had a high maintenance baby that sleep very little and for a while always wanted to be in our arms. In our case the lack of sleep was pretty intense and made it really not tempting to try a long road trip to an event were I would basically take care of my baby in costume rather than play pirate.

Reenacting is not my main hobby, I did manage to keep a sort of personnal life, but I had to put things on hold, for me it was reenacting. For others it could be something else.

Parenthood is a beautifull thing, but it is a challenge that will show the best and the worst of you. :)

Edited by Cuisto Mako

oh yeah,

haeing a bairn, will change every aspect of your life, not just reenacting. One thing with parenting you dont get to chose any longer what you will or what you will not toloerate with the presence of said young. Until they are 18, they are a part of you good and bad. Yes there are times when the wee lad does get in the way of what i would like to do, i know that would be the case when i decided to become a mother. it would indeed be naive to think that having a babe will not change any aspects of your life, and those close to you. I do know people that thought having a babe meant that they could still do as they wanted til all hours, how you choose to deal with that fact depends on your own personalty.

on a lighter note, baskets are good when they are little, ikea stocks some nice sized ones for use of hauling gear and babe, not knowing what area you hail from i am sure there are similar places. Garb is easy both sexes wore a shift and cap, an note if you dont tell the lads they wont know for a while, nor think anything of it. diaper covers are good as well, as for pc bottles, just hold the reagular ones in atowel no one needs to know, if breastfeeding, a shawl is handy, and reduces the worry of bottles too.

there is also no reason that having a baby has to negate all the pleasures of life you hold, just bring the little one along on the ride called life. Main reason for having kids is to continue the line. Never hurts to get new blood into the hobby either and there does not seem to be an age requirment. :lol:

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

no, no baby on board this ship yet... But I have started to wonder how babies play in piratical reenacting? How do you ladies deal with pregnancy in the field? What adjustments do you make? And what about infants? I don't want to give up reenacting just because I get pregnant, besides... it seems to me it would be very "pc" given how often women were pregnant. BUT it is important to be safe and healthy, what solutions have you come up with?

And there is also the issue of clothing...

What do you think?

When Jennie was pregnant, she discovered that 17th century styles are easily adjusted at least through the 6th month - not surprising when you remember that women in period couldn't run out and buy maternity clothes. She hiked things up and loosened her stays and the clothing accommodated. I don't think that we did anything the last trimester.

We left our daughter with grandparents for the first couple of years. After that we would bring her and she would occupy herself. If one or more children around the same age were there then she had a ball. Children at reenactments don't need a lot of watching over - at least when the site controls visitors.

A classic moment came when she was six. She had been playing with a bucket in a pond at Salem and she looked up and said, "I get it, we're playing that it's a long, long time ago."

When our daughter got older she started watching the younger kids.

Jennie's sister and her son have joined us at some events and the same was true for him. He always had fun and often spent the time playing with a couple of other boys.

Mark