Question: how to wear a corset

endkaos

Well, I admit I enjoy the photos, but after looking at ye lasses' bosoms I have a tendency to drop me jaw. Just today, in fact, the guy from the mail room ran over me tongue with his cart.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

We should have a photo album of our pirates in their best pirate garb. (I think Quill has a head start on that.) Part of my difficulties is that I have only (can't type...wake up*slap*) medival ren-faires & wars to currently compare garb with and shop from. :ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

"Lace it like you hate me!"

hehehehe....

Well, anyway, that thought about leather vs. something else, I'd have to say that I've never had a corset laced with leather laces, but I have had pants laced with leather cords. Two words...they stink. Two more words...they break. Also, it didn't seem (to me) that leather laces as tightly as a softer fabric lacing.

I usually try to get the longest heavy duty shoestrings known to man and lace up a corset like that. Plus, I use the metal grommets in my corsets, and sometimes that tugging against the metal sides of the grommets wears ANY lacing thin.

So, unless you can find some industrial strength leather laces made for work boots with the metal speed lacers, your best bet is probably some type of fabric laces. But, if you do decided to use leather laces, lace up your corset one day...say while you're doing laundry and wear it around the house. If it doesn't break, it would probably be safe to wear to faire or festival or whatever.

Hey...just don't want any of you to run around the faire with "the girls" hanging out. What with these "my tongue got run over by the mailroom trolley" quotes that the pirate lads have been posting! The ground at the faire is usually treacherous enough, without having to slip around on all of the drool.

:huh:

Blackheartedly yours,

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Well now ladies. It be a fair amount of time since i've seen a topic I could sink my teeth into. or get my hands on. Please. (Bows and doffs hat gracefully) Continue.

:ph34r::huh:B)

In all seriousness. Listen to the advice from these lovely ladies. They have the right of it and I must say. I'm damn proud to know such beautiful wenches.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Now lass... if'n it be true comfort that yer wish'n to jaw about....

I m'self, highly, HIGHLY recommend a soothing Bodice chiller!! The very thing for a hot, adventure filled day.

Not to mention quite the conversation starter! :huh:

I (ahem) Have tried everything I know to post a picture of one hard at work but.... just can't get the thing to post! Sorry. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Thank you so much for the compliment!!

Well for me I have a corset that has 2 strings that tie in the middle.... they meet half way. One from the top going down.. one from the bottom coming up. So I can tie my top half tighter and my bottom half lighter. Also.. it is good to adjust your cleavage like they said... pull yourself forward and have someone tie it tighter as you hold onto yourself.

I feel so natural in a corset that I have never had a problem. However .. you have to be careful not to tie anything too tight.. that is where the 2 different strings come in. That way your waist can have more room to breath then your chest and your ribs can move around a bit. You wil be able to tie it right towards the top where your bust will need it the most.

Sitepic2newSMjp.jpg

In this pic I have just a corset underneath my gown that I finished. The bra underneath it would have looked too bulky.. but under some corsets I have warn a bra to help pull me together. The padded ones make it to the point that you don't have to pull as tight. Less effort!! I made the strings in the back of the dress the same way too. I got really hot during the day and had to let myself out a bit at the waist.. and it helps for when you have to eat too.. then you don't lose support up above in the chest area.. just the waist where you need it. (Held by a different string).

I hope that helps... I have been wearing corsets since I was 11.. kinda gotten used to them by now. Good luck lass!!

Gabrielle :ph34r:

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Wow, how many hot pirate lasses do we have on this board? That is a spectacular dress, Lady Elaina. I'd love to see more photos, if you have them, especially of the embroidery.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Thank you. It is 98 % hand stitched. I have some photos I can scan then I will make a seperate thread in here under plunder. I will put my other dresses on here too. But in another thread.

I make some of these dresses for the crew of Grace O Malley here for the Gasparilla galas and parades. I actually find these dresses easy to make for some reason,,... I must have been born in another time or something.

Thanks for the Hot Lass comment.. it made me feel younger LOL (I feel over the hill at 25).

:huh: Elaina, you are one brave girl! I kinda decided to cheat on making my outfits. I made a couple by hand... even a flag for the 35th Regt of Foot in NJ by hand... I'll be using a sewing machine for quick jobs.

Anyway... I've rather amused with the answers here on this question. :huh:

Tori, now... first off.. I must ask.. do you have a boned bodice? Stays with the shoulder strap or without? Are they fully boned or partial?

The reason why I ask, is cause there were a couple varieties back then. The kind I made, partially by hand & partially with a sewing machine, are fully boned. I used reeding since it's cooler during the summer & allows you to breathe. Literially. Not just your skin, but allows you to partially move.

Stays are to help with posture, not restrict your breathing to the point you pass out. The reeding I use, appears thin ... ::Runs to grab the reeds::: ok... here we go.. I used Elephant reeds & marsh reeds which can be found at craft &/or fabric stores, such as here - in Iowa - I found them in Hancock Fabrics. I intermix the reeds such at the Elephant reeds to go along the seam of the stays, while I use the marsh reed inbetween the seams, using anywheres from 1 to 5 reeds in each slot.

Again, the reeding helps to form that shape that is desired but allows you to breathe & move, but is still restricting in the sense it's supposed to be & not overly restricting. The reeds help the stays to conform to you, & you conform to the stays.

I have a couple books that help me out on the ideal & appearance of stays. The best one I like thus far is "Tidings of the 18th Century" by Beth Gilgun. Or a fine example of a functional still n fantastic shape stays, check out "Costume Close-up: clothing construction & pattern 1750 - 1790" by Linda Baumgarten & John Watson with Florine Carr.

I bought my stays pattern through Jas. Townsend & Sons. Which they have them in a variety of sizes to fit you. I'm rather pleased with the pattern in which does fit me well.

You can make shoulder straps if you like.

The lacing up the back... Ummm, I would suggest that you use leather for the lacing holes, but not leather for the lacing itself. Best to use a cord or a tight weaved likeness. I have a wide cotton 'cord' that I usually use for my petticoats. This works fantastic. You will need to make sure that around the lacing holes that the reeding is the elephant or a thick, strong reeding.

When lacing up, most are in the back. Pretty much requires the assistance of another person. I've tried it by myself, doesn't work. If you are lucky enough to have stays that lacing in the front.. bravo, but I would think you may need help yet, cause they are both a pain yet fun to lace up.

When lacing, as was mentioned by others, you should still breathe... in some fashion or another. One must learn how to breathe, unfortunately, raising the shoulders, instead of expanding the chest & abdomen.

I am not a skinny minnie by any means, ladies & gents, if you look at my profile pic, no my avatar.... :huh:

You can see how the stays can 'boost' the chest, whether you are big chested or flat chested. If not really much there to work with, in another book they did once use aides such as "false bossoms". That info was in the "Distaff Sketchbook" by Robert L. Klinger. But, most causes, I doubt you will need to use the false bossoms. :huh:

I don't think I could ever finish this post... but to add, that with the stays... use leather for the trimming around the edges. Why? To keep the boning in the slots. There should be an allowance to the boning & slots. Such as example, the slots are 12" long vertical, the boning should be around 11 1/2 ". Again, the leather trimming helps to make sure the boning stays in the slots. Other materials allows the boning to .. slip out & poke. Believe me, that hurts!

The reeding can & will break, but compared to using metal boning which is not as comforable, let alone is HOT during the summer months... I'll take my chances replacing the reed boning often.

::ponders::: I feel like I am leaving something out here. Oh, well. If I think of it, I shall inform you immediately! :huh: Promise.

But, wearing the stays can be fun in a way. Not only the look from the gents, but the way they help you carry yourself. I've had my friend - who has taken pictures of me in costume & been so very patient in lacing me up - is rather impressed with them, even to the point she tried the stays on finding that they were not as bad as what they were cracked up to be.

I wish ya luck, Tori.

Again, any more questions... Fire away! :huh: I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have a couple books that help me out on the ideal & appearance of stays. The best one I like thus far is "Tidings of the 18th Century" by Beth Gilgun. Or a fine example of a functional still n fantastic shape stays, check out "Costume Close-up: clothing construction & pattern 1750 - 1790" by Linda Baumgarten & John Watson with Florine Carr.

I thank you kindly, Lady Barbosa. That be good info, but alas I don't sew yet. At least, not well enough to attempt corsets and bodices (I sew a little lopsided.)

I have purchased another yesterday at the Estrella War. This one has metal stays so it definitely fit much better. Having worn this one, I must say that metal be better than plastic for me as I have a big difference between me bust line and me waist and thinks plastic would not handle the difference as well.

I found the place by looking at their workers. One lass had a figure similar to me own so I sailed straight for her and said "I'm looking to plunder me a new outfit." She did an excellent job of fitting me.

I had me picture taken with it by a professional at the War. I should have it in about 3 weeks.

The info on the book be the greatest treasure. As most folk at the War were dressed later than the golden age. There were a few lovely frock coats but most were wearing rapier coats.

There was a danshing pirate in a red leather frock coat, but that be another post.

Lady Elaina - ye suggestion of using two seperate ties be great. As Me Boys (as I have begun to call them since that's what they attract) were quite comfortable, and me waist was uncomfortable but only when I was sitting. So to be able to loosen just the waist when required to sit would be perfect. (Everybody kept asking me to sit and didn't believe me when I said, "Thank you, but I'm fine standing).

I have four weeks to the next event (AZ Ren-Faire Pirate Invasion) to work on accessories. So be looking for more questions. :)

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

I wish ya luck, Tori. :huh:

Yes, the plastic don't hold up too well. Metal stays are usually best next to the whale bone (As I have been told, but they can & usually do absorb heat).

Eager to see the pictures.

Again, good luck to ya.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

As the Pyrates of the Coast's official "corset demonstrator", I would be happy to assist ye in yer endeavors, lass.

Seems me main task lately has been showin' the lasses how a corset could change their appearance...

"...but I don't have cleavage!"

"Ah, but you can! Allow me to demonstrate...."

I love my work.

Yer in good hands with Nigel.

But not t' worry luv, ye be gettin' great advice here from the rest o' the lasses.

Just remember me when ye' wants the "demo".

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

"...but I don't have cleavage!"

"Ah, but you can! Allow me to demonstrate...."

I love my work.

:lol:

Yer in good hands with Nigel.

ROTDLMBAO!!!!!!

That is exactly how I met my late husband!!

(Sigh) His fingers were born to fluff. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh yes, Bess - 'tis a great ice-breaker at parties.

:ph34r:

Like I say, I live a life of humble service to me community.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Oh yes, Bess - 'tis a great ice-breaker at parties.

;)

Like I say, I live a life of humble service to me community.

:wub: Ahhhh, nay, I met my Jolly Rob on the field of Honour (so many years ago) at the Renaissance Faire. He was working the Joust and I was with one of the sword troups.

Being in his cups, so not totaly to blame as he spent the next several years reminding me, he made a rather... ungenteel observation about something and I, ever the Warrior Poet, cold-cocked him behind the stages with himself ending up on his arse int he dust. :wub:

'Twas (almost) love at first sword draw.

How I miss him, the Gods bless him. :wub:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I used the metal boning for my gowns.. I got sick of replacing the old ones that were plastic boning. I have been making these dresses since I was 11... so I am at the point I don't need patterns for anyone and can do any era. The golden age of sail is my favorite for sure!!!

If she is totally uncomfortable with the traditional corset (they arent for everyone and can even be dangerous for some) she can go with a corset from Frederick's of Hollywood. The have some that are made from material that stretches after a while so you can breath but hold you in place. (Guys stop reading this LOL)

Cool story Iron Bess.. that is the best place to meet yer mate... on the job in your favorite era so to speak..