Sashes

Desert Pyrate

I think ye be wanting one like the one Captain Jack Sparrow uses in POTC. I have one very similar te his, and it just be a very long (about the length and width of a big scarf) and it be a suede(ish) brown color. It works just fine fer me! Hope it does fer ye, too.

Hope that bit o' information helps!

Cabinlass Maggie :ph34r:

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.

There be a nice resource for sashes, head scarves and such at center stage. They be a costumer. Here's their link. Good luck.

http://www.centerstagecostumes.com/

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I wear a sash under me belt. Makes the belt stand out more and the best part is it's good for wiping up spilled grog or lipstick from yer face. Very handy accessory.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

here is a sashe made by snowbird her sashes are now much longer than this., this was a first., she made me a red and white striped sashe 13 ft for a double wrap and plenty left over as well as 8 inches wide ., hers are 30 bux and there a cotton twill no flash and minimal shrinkage of course you can choose your own fabrics and colors.., the headbands were 10 bux 6 inches wide and 7 feet long for plenty of extra in the back

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/472...3/WASH-0362.jpg

for the most part she does renn pieces but she had no problem making anything I asked for ..,she is negotiable and has custom made me a lot of pieces I found her very reasonable and fast

http://www.snowbirdscreations.com

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Most of my sashes are broadcloth, 12 inches wide and about 15 feet long. I have one cut from antique satin. All have gold fringe on the ends, about 3 inches long. Mine were home made, just 13 inch strips of fabric sewn end to end 'till the right length was reached, then a rolled hem sewn all round.

I wear them when doing an officer's impression, red for Brit, orange for Dutch, blue for Swedish. I also have a black one, just because. They are good for keeping doublet and breeches from coming apart, and giving back support (wound 2 or 3 times tightly) when on parade.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Well ask yourself this. Do you have a gut? Do you want your character to have one? Sashes have the same effect as cumberbuns. Unless your a stick. They make you look bigger.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

It's easy enough to make your own and then you can get it looking just like you want it to as far as material and length. More sturdy material needs less length before it holds up well on its own - softer material, like a satin - needs to be much longer as it takes more turns to get the bulk correct and give it some stamina. Otherwise it just plops over and covers up the belt or your accessories.

Leave a good length dangling so you can mop up stuff with it or wipe a sweaty brow in the heat of battle.

None of mine have the fringe - for me it looked too Shriners...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ewww...

Don't buy a sash, unless you wanna get gouged hard. The best advice I can give you...unless you know some kind folks who have one for a good price...is to get two yards of material and make one for yourself.

Two yards makes the sash more economical this way:

Cut the material in half lengthwise. Make a straight, running stitch to sew the narrow ends of each piece together into one long piece that's actually 4+ yards long. Then, turn the right sides together and make another long running stitch down the free ends. Turn it right side out. Basically, it's the same pattern as a long, skinny retangular pillowcase. Then, sew fringe to the ends. This way, you don't have to settle for something that "almost" matches your outfit.

Also, if you want a sueded look without the suede hassle or cost, get buttersuede or ultrasuede or moleskin. All pretty much the same fabric, but much less expensive and much easier to sew. Craft stores and Hancock Fabrics online carry sueded material and fringe by the yard.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com

Hey...I used the same method, only I hotglued mine, and it's held up for about two years now. Don't worry. I fully intend to force my lazy self to make another one with my new sewing machine that Mom bought me for Christmas...eh, sometime this year.

And ask Dark Rose. He has some mighty fine garments. Top quality. Low price. Nice guy. You can't lose.

;)

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Mahaps we should do a sash-windin workshop.

<_<

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Near the purses at stores like Wal-mart and Target, as well as department stores (more expensive) they usually have scarves of a light material intended for ladies. Fish through 'em an' ye might find somethin' ta suit ye. Remember that while the fashion o' the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries fer men was girly by today's standards, pirates were often intent on followin' the fashions when they could.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Yes, first thing that comes to mind is Captain jack's from PotC. he wears a very long sash tied twice round under hsi belt. I think it looks great. I wear a sash under my belt as well, it somehow ties everything together with the flowy-ness of the fabric.

I suggest making yer own, Desert Pyrate. They are easy to make and probably cheaper than buying one. I have made many for my friends and would offer to make one for a small sum.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Good idea about the Wal-Mart accessories department. I found some wonderful head scarves from there (with fringe!).

Most of my piratey stuff is red, black and white. I have a black sash that I made on a whim with satin, hot glue and fringe. It works well. I wear my sash underneath my belt with one free end hanging over the belt. I have found several chunks of cheap velvety material at Wal-Mart and Goodwill that are definitely long enough to make a sash...and now that I have a brand new sewing machine, I might just have to haul out the material and make one. However, college isn't the place to wear piratey clothes, unless I'm doing a play. So, I'll probably wait until closer to the RenFest here in TN (May) to make it. The black satin sash was made the day before the RenFest.

Good luck on your sash quest!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Heh... all this fuss over a length o' material. :ph34r:

I suggest going to a fabric store, finding some cloth ye like, and getting as much as ye need for the length ye want. Try to make sure that the fabric is the same on both sides.

The cloth I use for a sash is reminiscent of a harsh dish cloth, with white and gold striping. I leave it rough on the edges to give it that worn an' torn look. Putting it under my belt makes the rapier hanger a lot more comfortable over a long length of time, as well as protecting my coat from belt wear... and I can tuck my pistol into it.

If ye want t' go fancier, they also sell upholstery fringe on the cheap.

Also, try going to a thrift store... they sell lady's scarfs for as little as 50 cents. My banda was all of 65 cents.

Good Plunderin! :ph34r:

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

Dreamie, you're a gal after my own pocketbook!

I love thrift stores!

I found a full-sized brownish-gold bedspread for $3 at Goodwill. It wouldn't fit my bed, but it's a huge chunk of material that I intend to get good use out of. I've already made some small pillows out of part of it. I might just make a sash out of part, too! In fact, I believe that my hubby wore part of it as a sash in last year's RenFest.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

Sashes were worn to protect your clothing from belts and other equipment. Of course, in the military style, colors were used to designate rank. I wear my belt over my sash.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Capt. WE Roberts: Aye :ph34r:

I must go to Goodwill at least every other week (I keep collecting ship paintings from there)...and antique stores in the boonies... you know the ones.... :ph34r:

I cant wait until spring when the garage sales start up again.

Personally, I like t' call it "Modern Day Pirating", since it almost feels like stealing! :lol:

And I somehow have a strange affinity for import stores (Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.), and get this odd vibe as if I'm in an old-time market about t' haggle on silks :lol:

Good Plunderin!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:Well, I don't know if it's of much use to you, but when I first formed my original Filthy Crew , I went to a fabric store, and bought Yards of inexpensive scarlet cotton gauze-like fabric, then used a knife to slash the ends into swathes for sashes. We simply knotted the ends, and wrapped the sashes around our waists, then put our belts over the sashes. That way you've got a double security for boarding implements, money bags, flasks, tankards, jenny-be-safes, etc. Worked like a charm, and it's become a ragged, if noble-ish, mark of our affiliation.

Henry Martyn, Sir, Officer Without Portfolio, Flying Cloud

"You cheated!"

"Pyrate."

Long enough for you 2 get 2 full wraps around yer waist...., tye 1 over an under., so as to not really get a knot....,(that would be the over an under X 2). Then leave 2 feet on say 1 side of your knot and perhaps 3 feet on the other!!!!!

My sashes are 12 and 14 feet....,This depends on your personal preferances.., shoot many leave it barely off the ground., like an always ready shop towel/ slash / snot rag.

Your leather belt can then go OVER the sashe., thereby laying flat since there is NO knot in the sashe........, use a belt that can be snugged.

I have a dark brown 1 1/2 inch Leather belt with brass rivetts everywhere and a re-enactors buckle (brass 2" round) this allows me to buckle-up...., keeping the sashe as tight as need be as if it was knotted....., then the Military Heritage .62 Caliber short barrel (9 inch) Sea-Service-Pistol comes with a belt hangar on the left side of the weapon which allows you to hang the pistol at your side.

Like an Invisable Holster aye ., the gun is just dangling there..., keeping your tummy flatter and less "Stuff" piled into your sashe up front for a more athletic looking pirate who's savin' his sashe space fer more grog ;) then black powder ;) aye? and dont fergit to get a leather belt pouch., fer Black Powder., cell phone and cash...., LOL

Try not to get your Sashe ends caught up in your swords Baldric or Rapier holder ...,and belt-pouch and or pistol.,and or Boarding Cutlass...., (alot going on there....,"The Sashe Area") Savvy?

Imagine if you will., gettin drunk and gettin an itch., then scratchin as Pirates do..., pullin on yer sashe a wee-to-much....., which is wrapped around the trigger of yer flintlock...., and SNAP..,PSST...,BOOM ;) ..,Nailin' yer pinkie toe into some ones lower deck or hull !!! ;)

Its hard enough making friends as a Pirate without bleedin' all over someone elses ship. ;)

:lol: HarborMaster ;)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

My best sash is 4 yards long. It wraps around twice with lots of excess to hang over my belt. I wanted to make it long enough to fit over hubby's tum-tum if he wanted to wear it, plus I wanted it to fit over a bodice for me and still be comfortable enough to bend over when I potty or need to pick up spilled doubloons.

I'd say for a proper fit and look, measure your waist size and multiply by four. That should give you two good wraps and some end slack to play around with. Since my waist is not 36 inches--thank you--my sash fits quite well. So, hey...maybe multiply your waist size by five.

The point is, you don't want too many wraps, or you'll have to get a bigger belt or suck in your gut until you turn purple. But, you do want enough wraps to safely hold your piratey junk in place. Also, a sash will definitely keep those firearms from being damaged by a belt buckle, if you choose not to have a holster of some sort. Want an example of the type of damage inflicted by a belt buckle over time? Take a look at the back of a guitar player's favorite axe. Scratches!

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts