jumps are done excepting eyelet holes.....

lady constance

wanna hear a funny.....

ryan ( who has suddenly taken to reading like a duck to water), looked over his phonics papers this morning at the computer and said " momma, what is a FB?"....

and for a split second, my over inflated ego thought, " maybe i have finally attained the status of FB ".......

so there is your laugh on the depraved ego of mine......hahahahhaahahaaaa!!

Hehehe... Ego? naw. :blink: But kids sure learn quickly when they are inquisitive.

So... where's these jumps of yo'rs lass? Would have figured ye'd have them up by now. :) Eyelets or not.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

i have 4 more eyelet holes to sew around... then garb up and pic and post,,,,

and lets just say that if i share the pattern with some one else, they wont have to make my mistakes--as in

FIND YOUR SEWING AWL!!!! AND USE IT!!

1. dont double fold a damask fabric at the edges ( too hard to sew eyelet holes in and thru}

2.that you spply a stabilizer/interfacing to the damask or silk or tapestry

3. that you are going to HAVE to put those lead leaders(from middle ages} on the edges of your ribbon that you plan to use for going thru the eyelet holes (i am thinking that is shall enclose a shoe string in ribbon)

4. that you modify the way you sew your eyelets--by dropping the needle thru the holes and THEN pick up your stitch thread on the top ( or you risk making the diameter of your hole severely smaller....thus the riboon won't go thru!!

5. bodiced gown dresses are actually easier than jumps!!!

6. BUT I DID IT!! YAH!!!!

gathering from the amount of hits on this page/ topic, i know folks are looking at the finished product.

but there are no comments on them? that suprises me-- and then again, maybe it does not.i find that pyschologically interesting.

my offer still stands. any one wanting a copy of this pattern can ask me for it and i will trace off the peices. you can then adjust for size. and i will send basic directions.

I just saw this now.. Very nice. I am curious about the fabric choice. I was thinking of making myself jumps for working in so it is in my mind that jumps are for less formal use and these look far too nice to not wear to a formal occasion. I guess my question is ...what would you be using this beautiful garment for? Were Jumps used for formal wear?

I guess my question is ...what would you be using this beautiful garment for? Were Jumps used for formal wear?

From everything I have read, jumps were worn for warmth, working, when sick, in the home and informal wear.

Here is more info in the Twill thread.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=15380&st=0

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

THAT IS THE BEE ITCH about jumps--

function/ purpose was worn solely for in home use alone-- or alone in the tentage with family...perhaps they would be seen alone/only when i was tending to outside fire for breakfast preparation....

so i choose the fabric according to what would please me to wear....couldnt see using that yard of fabric for stays or anyother item....this was simply a fabric i had that was cheap and not much yardage

the jumps that sterling posted were extremely decorative....some embroidered, some quilted, and the other pair, a bit of both..

they were a learning endeavor...the sewing/crafting is not that brilliant..the pattern design was the object of the project...( certainly easier than the pink 1690s stays pattern that i am still working on...grrrrr..tons of cuts in cheap fabric, tons of thinking, tons of planning--but still satifying to work on}

Aaaaah ..the ol "I have the fabric dilemma. I hear that only with my crew that doesn't fly. I take that back. On occasion it does but that is IF the occasion is not at an event where we are doing living history, which is seldom, unless it is a ball or the like. :lol:

I had been thinking about the embroidered jumps that Sterling had posted and embroidery in general. I wonder how much embroidery was done to cover up stains and such. lol :unsure: I stain & dirty EVERYTHING and a well placed bit of embroidery would cover the mess quite easily. :rolleyes:

I had been thinking about the embroidered jumps that Sterling had posted and embroidery in general. I wonder how much embroidery was done to cover up stains and such. lol :unsure: I stain & dirty EVERYTHING and a well placed bit of embroidery would cover the mess quite easily. :rolleyes:

I never thought about it that way.... My concern would be if it's a garment you are always staining and getting dirty, why would you want to put all this work into embroidery only to spill something else and ruin all that time consuming work?

My thoughts were that, for "jumps" in particular, embroidery and quilting were used to stiffen the fabric since the garment may or may not have any boning.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Embroidery to stiffen the garment makes much more sense.

As to the stains, I wasn't thinking that the garment would have been constantly stained but perhaps a nice garment that was stained just enough to make it unwearable (I ALWAYS end up with food stains on my clothing) so you cover it up. I certainly don't think that all of the embroidery that was on the jumps that Sterling posted was to cover many large stains. Say a nice garment, not a dress garment, were splashed by something that left little spots. Embroidery would cover that nicely.

As to jumps being for home use yet being ornately decorated perhaps the ones that were posted were those of a woman of means. Only a woman of means would be able to spend so much money on a seldom used garment. Clearly it was seldom used. Additionally, It is my thought that common women would wear anything she owned until it was threadbare.

all of my reading suggests that they were not worn occasionally....

that their days were different than ours.... clothing was changed during the day according to event and happenings... and i one read that on particularly hot days, many people would stay in a sort of undress in their homes til dinner.... that much family time happened and not always dressed to the nines.....

so these garments were worn, but not necessarily seen by those outside the family....

and what of the sick? certainly you wore less clothing when sick and recovering.... ahhh... but we forget that they got ill back then....( even though we still get sick these days}... and what does one do when ill?? stay home!! stay inside, and wear jumps....!!}

and yes for re enacting purposes, they are rather a luxury... not a necessity...

Embroidery to stiffen the garment makes much more sense.

As to the stains, I wasn't thinking that the garment would have been constantly stained but perhaps a nice garment that was stained just enough to make it unwearable (I ALWAYS end up with food stains on my clothing) so you cover it up. I certainly don't think that all of the embroidery that was on the jumps that Sterling posted was to cover many large stains. Say a nice garment, not a dress garment, were splashed by something that left little spots. Embroidery would cover that nicely.

ooooh I get it. :-P

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Pinner Aprons. :D

Tis th' key there. I've had GREAT success wearing my pinner apron and keeping my nice gowns clean. Plus the gowns wash clean anyways. Keep at least a good 2 pairs of pinner aprons that cover the majority of the front of ye and ye wouldn't have a problem with staining so much. :D

It's amazing what we living historians go through to understand the past. ;)

But that is one VERY loverly pair, Constance. Majo kudos to ye, lass.

That looks like it could have been used as a waistcoat type for a hunting/riding/travel habit. Looks like some of those I've seen. I've imagine they were rather versatile.

I'll take ye up on th' offer, Constance. How much, lass? :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!