Pirate Trading Cards

michaelsbagley

Y'know, Hand... I wouldn't have thought of that had you not mentioned it...

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the cards from this round! I do have to admit to being a small bit selfish on one of the card selections....

I'm a HUGE fan of the TV series LOST... And Gertie did one card of her set with a drawing of Hugo (Hurley) from the show, that I chose to be mine from the set.

Loved the use of islands from the Pirate Collectable card game from Pew, that really brought back some fond memories of that game for me. :D

I liked the tongue in cheek labels from McCools cards!

How can one not just love a Patrick Hand card?

Great cards all around, I feel bad singling out a few for praise as they were really all awesome! Best round yet!

Michael_banner.jpg

When you say the Pirate collectable card game, you you mean the one by WizKids? The Constructable Strategy Game? Because that's definitely what I thought of when I saw Pew's card. Gotta love it. I miss that game.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

When you say the Pirate collectable card game, you you mean the one by WizKids? The Constructable Strategy Game? Because that's definitely what I thought of when I saw Pew's card. Gotta love it. I miss that game.

That is exactly what I was talking about. The game is still available, I saw a new series available at a store a few months back... But to be honest, I only really liked the first handful of series of the game, and then it just seemed to get to the point where they were adding new series of cards just for the sake of a cash grab and not to add anything worthwhile to the game... That is just an opinion though. I have a large enough collection of the early series of the game to host myself and many others to play, the problem I have is just finding local folks interested in playing.

Michael_banner.jpg

Actually, those are my sentiments exactly. Well, if ever we bump into each other somewhere, I'll try to remember to bring mine and we can have an epic pirate battle royale!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

:D Heck, I don't know what you guys are talking about. My Pew card doesn't look anything like what you're describing.

BTW, who is going to wrangle the next round? (Please, Pew, do not "Voluntold" me for that! :D )

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I'll definitely participate in the next round! Can't wait! But I don't think I'm up for coordinating just yet.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

They're here- the package has arrived! I haven't opened it yet- but..they're here!

ETA:

All right- I've opened them. And what a great set they are! I actually got the one I was hoping to get back - the charts and maps on fire - since it was one of the last, it was one I considered my best, but then, perhaps it had best gone to another, and I got one o' my weakest ones back.

It was quite the experience for me, I really hadn't drawn much after my car accident, and some of the drawing skills you take for granted, like hands, feet and perspective, had definitely gotten rougher...and my line..oh..my line....gone but not forgotten...

but I was feeling pretty good by the end.

I see that my cards were a bit bigger than the others- I did a lot of my cards at work,( during slack periods- I must emphasize!!!) and couldn't access the dimensions in the original post. I had mistakenly thought the cards to be about the size of some notepads we had at work, and I was off quite a bit by the time I noticed it was much too late! Next time will be better- and I know I had a hard time working this small as it was- so major KUDOS to you other folks, doing such a nice job with your line, and design, in such a small canvas!

I was so taken by the interactivity of the cards- some had working compasses, some opened, some were serious, some comical. I plan to frame all mine, that's how cool they are!

Michael- I see what you mean by the Patrick Hand ones! Very unique- and very ..charming..yes- charming...not to mention- TASTY!

The Pew one was a small island with an X for treasure. Very cool. It's obviously part of a whole, and I guess it also symbolizes this whole idea of us sharing our artwork.

Brig- I love the concept of the beautiful dead, and "my heart is lost to you" from yours!

J8ks dad- I really loved the design elements of yours- and the 3D compass, and interactive spinner.

McCool- for someone who seemingly got dragged in- by me- kicking and screaming- you did a NICE job, man. A colourful, yet simple design, very humorous.

The others- Ransom and 2 that are unsigned- has a lovely scrapbooking, multiple element design, and are really well done, and whoever did the hand drawn lighthouse- your line is really awesome. I wish my pen and ink work was as good.

So- I have a ways to go it seems, to match some of the elements that everyone put into their work. Some things I thought about during the design phase, and wasn't sure I could do- now I see that almost anything goes, and you really are limited only by your imagination.

I'm really revved up for the next one now.

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Glad to see this round was such a hit!

I don't mind heading up another round. Work is winding down for the summer. How about June first, we start another go? I have an idea for theme as well . . . ;)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Yeah I think I forgot to sign mine....they're the lighthouse ones.

Kate- the lighthouse one was exquisite. Like I said, your line was lovely! I need to practice using pen and ink!

and Pew- I'm up for this for sure..I might be a bit rushed though- I have a full June on my plate- 2 pirate gigs, Nor Cal..and a wedding. But June 1st will likely be okay!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I'm with everyone else here, this round of cards really were grand. You guys are awesome.

Okay, Pew, June works for me as the starting point, but I, too, have NorCal to prepare for (Can't wait to meet you there, Gertie!), so giving out the theme now would let me get a head start on what I plan to do for Round, The Fifth. ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I'm with everyone else here, this round of cards really were grand. You guys are awesome.

Okay, Pew, June works for me as the starting point, but I, too, have NorCal to prepare for (Can't wait to meet you there, Gertie!), so giving out the theme now would let me get a head start on what I plan to do for Round, The Fifth. ;)

I too didn't sign my cards, mine were the ones that were labeled "Lost in paradise" with the filmy transparency.

I have a pretty busy June, but if the theme is soon to come and I like it (as if I wouldn't like it ;) ) I would surely join in for round the fifth as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

I agree- a bit o' advance warning would help! - especially with me very full June schedule.

And I also can't wait to meet you at NorCal, Ransom! BTW-They've finally upgraded the website with all the vendors and the entertainment!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Damnit all, I wish I could afford a ticket out to Cali for that festival. And lodging too, can't forget that. I've always wanted to go. I hate being unemployed.

As for the cards, can't wait for the next theme! Incedentally, who decides that?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

As for the cards, can't wait for the next theme! Incedentally, who decides that?

We don't really have any hard and fast rules about that. Usually someone says, "hey, how 'bout a _________ theme?"

So I was thinking . . . well, new thread for this one . . . . ;)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Damnit all, I wish I could afford a ticket out to Cali for that festival. And lodging too, can't forget that. I've always wanted to go. I hate being unemployed.

Well- I AM driving down, and I could pick ya up on the way..you could sleep in the van...but I think Colorado might be a tad far for a quick detour! plol8hr.gif

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Heh, thanks for the sentiment Gertie, but you're probably right. Maybe next year!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I agree- a bit o' advance warning would help! - especially with me very full June schedule.

And I also can't wait to meet you at NorCal, Ransom! BTW-They've finally upgraded the website with all the vendors and the entertainment!

Well, since myself and a few others from Tales of the Seven Seas are part of the crewe of the schooner Aldebaran, I guess that makes me part of the entertainment! LOL We do the ship to shore cannon battle each afternoon. Loads of fun.

Oh, and Capt. McCool, yeah, you have to get to NorCal at least once. It is HUGE!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, thanks for the sentiment Gertie, but you're probably right. Maybe next year!

Hey Michael - er, McCool... (sorry, old habits and all....) We could always carpool... somethin' to keep in mind for road trips/events in the future-

Nigel

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Hey Michael - er, McCool... (sorry, old habits and all....) We could always carpool... somethin' to keep in mind for road trips/events in the future-

Nigel

Very true! Thanks mate! Good to have fellow buccaneers out here in CO!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Very true! Thanks mate! Good to have fellow buccaneers out here in CO!

Yeah.. we put the "buck" in "Buccaneer!" lol

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"