Pirate Trading Cards

michaelsbagley

The guidelines as quoted from Ransom back in the first or second round... This time we will be aiming for a "Lost" theme, or "Lost because of x weather" for the more ambitious. Please aim to have your cards ready and sent to me no later than March 26th so I can sort them and send them back at close to the end of March (some may bleed over to the first few days of April because of the sometimes slow postal service).

Artist Trading Cards or ATCs, are small works of art traded among artists. The challenge is to be as creative as possible on a small scale. For more information on ATCs click HERE.

I'm calling the ones we will do PTCs = Pyrate Trading Cards. The artwork will be the same as the journals—anything goes. The BIG difference between the PTCs and the journals, is that there will be no waiting months and months for a book to come back. PTCs are a one-shot deal.

Here is how it will work, if the max of ten people sign on.

1. Each person makes ten cards, one for each player plus themselves — they can all be the same design, or all different.

2. You mail all the cards to me. Include a SASE for return delivery. As the cards come in, I will divide them among each of the envelopes/players.

3. When all the cards are in to me (I will set a deadline), and divided up, I mail them out to all the players.

4. Each artist then receives a packet containing one PTC from each player, for a total of ten.

Done. From start to finish, it shouldn't take more than a month, or month and a half at most.

You can display the PTCs in small photo albums, frame them as a group, or for those who have already participated in the journal rounds, you can add these to the empty back pages.

So, who wants to play? And remember...it's a QUICK, one-shot deal. No waiting up to a year for a book to come back.

So far we have the below list of volunteers (or voluntold in one case :angry: ) I'll be cat-herding, I mean organizing this round by popular vote (which means no one else wanted to ;) )

1. Patrick Hand

2. J8ksdad

3. Pew

4. Gunpowder Gertie

5. michaelsbagley

6. Ransom

7. Kate_Souris

8. Cross

9. Brig

10 Captain McCool

And we finally have our tenth!!! ;) Thanks everyone for joining in! Please aim for having them done and ready for March 26th, but since a few folks came in a bit later, we'll try and be flexible to up to a week if need be.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please aim to have your cards ready and sent to me no later than March 26th

OK, I can do that.... I'm just glad that it wasn't sooner (like next week)....

Cool, so I have plenty of time ....

• 2 weeks later...
We are still a go, correct?

Yes, we are still a go... Everyone should make ten cards, and if we can't find two more folks to sign on in time, I'm sure I can find something to do with the extras... But if we can recruit hard over the next week or two to find another couple of participants, that would be ideal.

Michael_banner.jpg

We are still a go, correct?

Yes, we are still a go... Everyone should make ten cards, and if we can't find two more folks to sign on in time, I'm sure I can find something to do with the extras... But if we can recruit hard over the next week or two to find another couple of participants, that would be ideal.

Guess I better get started then!

So- the central idea here is Lost? Okay...

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

This seems like a pretty damn cool concept, all told. I'd be totally intersted in participating sometime. Maybe not this round, but definitely at some point. And I'd be really interested to see what others have done too!

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

This seems like a pretty damn cool concept, all told. I'd be totally intersted in participating sometime. Maybe not this round, but definitely at some point. And I'd be really interested to see what others have done too!

An idea for the size:

DSC_0226.jpg

Here's what previous artists have done in our last three rounds:

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Sign me up again. :) I'm already struggling with the theme, haha. Should be a fun challenge. ;)

Awesome! Yay Brig!!! Don't sweat the theme too much, think of it as more of a guideline... ;)

At worst we are one person short for this round, although I think if we recruit hard over the next week we can find another artist or creative person to press-gang! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Damn... tempting... very tempting... but I don't know if I'd be able to finish by the deadline. Not to mention that if by "Lost" you mean LOST, aka ABC's Lost, I wouldn't know where to begin, as I've never watched the show. But if you mean "lost" as in, "I can't figure out where I am"... well hell, I'm there already!

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

That sounds basically it...... wotever ye think being lost is..... (well with a Pyratical slant ter it...)

But that's part of the fun of the project .... seeing everyone Else's "take" on the concept......

So just go ahead an just jine up ter play.... that would make 10....

it's a lot of fun.....

Oh... alright, I'm in.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a noob?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

It's easier to come up with a single design and replicate that over the 10 cards. If you're really creative, you can come up with 10 different designs.

But most of all, have fun doing it. :unsure:

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

For those of you who like to use rubber stamps in your journals or on the PTCs, check these out. It's a girl who works out of her home. This site was just forwarded to me this evening.

Pyrate rubber stamps

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

It's easier to come up with a single design and replicate that over the 10 cards. If you're really creative, you can come up with 10 different designs.

But most of all, have fun doing it. :unsure:

Hahar...

whoever said I EVER took the easy way, sirrah!

I do, however, like to have FUN.

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Uh oh, she pulled out the "sirrah". It's on now.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

For those of you who like to use rubber stamps in your journals

Just for funsies....

It is kinda fun to carve your own rubber stamps.... all you need is an eraser and a sharp knife (exacto's are perfect) draw you image in reverse and then carve out alla the parts you don't want printed... (hey, it's easy 'nough to do...erasers are soft....)

OK... they don't come out as crisp and fancy as one of the printshop burned ones, but they have a nice homemade look to them... (or something like that...)

That's very true. I have also carved them into wine and champagne corks. Still not real crisp edges, but a more rustic look. Kinda fun.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 2 weeks later...