Amazing reference sites

Red Maria

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is a hodge-podge thread I made mostly from one and two post threads with interesting links in them. It's a real scattering of info via links.

I did this because there were some really cool links scattered around the Twill forum and it seemed to make sense to me to gather them all in one place for easier reference. (Note that I only checked some of the links, so if they don't work...well, sorry about that.)

Feel free to post some of your favorite historical and period links in here to help build this mini-database.

Here are some of mine (mostly medical, natch <_< ):

Pharmacoepia of London

Apothecaries' Symbols Commonly Found in Medical Recipes

Latin Dictionary

Alex Peck Medical and Surgical Antiques

Will Styles' Medical Library

Pirates & Privateers - The History of Maritime Piracy

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 months later...

Someone sent me this link of links and the ones I checked out were reasonably good, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just found a couple GREAT sites that i thought I would share. You may or may not have seen these before, but both are great. The Victoria and Albert Museum is my favorite. The search function turns up really great results.

Search the Collections - Victoria and Albert Museum

Wars of Louis Quatorze: July 2008

ihtcbanner.jpg

Ivan,

Both links go to the same place. Great find on the one though.

-Scott

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Hey guys, a very old thread of this very nature was pointed out to me yesterday... It is great to see some new and awesome sources being added!

Would any of you mind if I merged this thread with the old one for the sake of ease of future reference? I can also "pin" the topic so it will remain towards the top of the list to make it easy to find going forward. If I don't hear any objections by tomorrow, I will merge the topics, if someone does have an objection, feel free to post it here or send it to me via private message. Thanks!

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey guys, a very old thread of this very nature was pointed out to me yesterday... It is great to see some new and awesome sources being added!

Would any of you mind if I merged this thread with the old one for the sake of ease of future reference? I can also "pin" the topic so it will remain towards the top of the list to make it easy to find going forward. If I don't hear any objections by tomorrow, I will merge the topics, if someone does have an objection, feel free to post it here or send it to me via private message. Thanks!

Okay, I have merged the topics now... I will "Pin" this topic as soon as I am done posting this, I hope those interested find some more oldies but goodies in here!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In an effort to share the many reference pictures I have come across while researching the 16th-18th Centuries, I've added a gallery of my research to www.IvanHenry.com. By no means is it or will it ever really be complete. It is a living and growing library!

Research Library

Very nice! there was quite a few I had never seen before. Thanks!

• 5 months later...

This is for Dutchman's reference The Girandoni Repeating Air Rifle. I never heard of it before reading Dewey Lambdin’s Alan Lewrie series of historical fiction novels. Then, this thread popped up on the recent list and I saw Dutchman's post and got to thinking of the novels... and then I googled it and found that link. Pretty cool!

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sGtUAAAAYAAJ&dq=editions%3AQ2ENAAAAIAAJ&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false

Regulations and instructions relating to His majesty's service at sea By Great Britain. Privy Council

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4xCYDg6BjZMC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

De jure maritimo et navali or a Treatise of Affaires Maritime and of ... edited by Charles Molloy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...